Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times

Advertisements

Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion :: WRAL.com

Looks like nothing good will come of this as I hear they will begin charging by internet usage as opposed to a flat rate. I believe Comcast already does this in their markets. Those of you that like watching Netflix/Youtube/Hulu, may see an increase in rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 04:07 AM

100 posts, read 136,162 times
hmmm...it's funny

I was actually looking FORWARD to leaving comcast behind when we move there this summer...

I currently pay $176 for internet and cable here in the DC area. Looks like I'm going to have to look harder at AT&T down there

but maybe this will cause AT&T to offer better deals so they can continue to compete

Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Well, I would be surprised if this is allowed to go through by the various three letter agencies so no need to worry too much just yet.

But if it does go through I can see nothing good coming of it. Neither company is winning any awards for customer service and plotting how they can gouge people at every turn. Combining them is just going to give them more power and I never liked the fact that Comcast was allowed to buy NBC in the first place.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times
Comcast is atrocious. Directv is probably thrilled. We made the switch and use AT&T for Internet bundled through directv so it's even cheaper. Yes we may lose the signal in heavy rain 4-5x a year but that's what the dvr is for!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
TWC tends to be a technology laggard. Otherwise I doubt the deal will make much difference.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
hmmm...it's funny

I was actually looking FORWARD to leaving comcast behind when we move there this summer...

I currently pay $176 for internet and cable here in the DC area. Looks like I'm going to have to look harder at AT&T down there

but maybe this will cause AT&T to offer better deals so they can continue to compete
LOL
We would have people move from the area and delight in the prospect of dumping TWC!
Might have made DC attractive, to have Comcast!

"The New York Times said the merger "may have little impact on consumers."
"Comcast and Time Warner Cable compete in very few markets. As a result, few consumers will see their choices of cable operators reduced," it said."
Yahoo!

Service will be about the same, I predict, for some time going forward.
I think control of content creation/delivery and net neutrality are my two concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
TWC tends to be a technology laggard. Otherwise I doubt the deal will make much difference.
Yep. It is the Comcast people I see bragging about incredible internet speeds.
And, the prospect of a more delightful DVR isn't to be overlooked!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-13-2014 at 05:57 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Before moving here I had come to hate Cablevision back on Long Island; TWC was so bad that it made me miss the good old days. Comcast is roughly equivalent to Cablevision, not TWC and so this will likely be marginally better. But it's all a moot point because with continued advances in technology we'll all be receiving our entertainment and Internet services wirelessly within the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Comcast is atrocious. Directv is probably thrilled. We made the switch and use AT&T for Internet bundled through directv so it's even cheaper. Yes we may lose the signal in heavy rain 4-5x a year but that's what the dvr is for!
Just a point of clarification: If you lose your signal the DVR option doesn't work either (and I know, I've been a DirecTV customer since 2002).

Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
But it's all a moot point because with continued advances in technology we'll all be receiving our entertainment and Internet services wirelessly within the next decade.
I don't think that will be the case. Unaffordable, even with LTE, if you literally mean "all".

Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,152 times
We dropped Comcast for Direct TV ages ago when we lived up north.

As long as you don't have issues it isn't a problem, but when you do, their customer service is horrid (unless it has changed in the last 4 years, which I doubt). At least TWC shows up on the day they tell you they will.

And with Comcast we found our bill increased every 3 to 6 months. Never a huge hit (usually under $10) but that adds up when they hit you with it that frequently.

As for the article that said they compete in few markets so it would be a minimal impact.... maybe if there was more competition their service & rates wouldn't be so awful. No incentive to do anything well if you don't have any competition.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
I think it's always a bad idea to eliminate competition. But when the Duke/Progress merger was rubber stamped I realized how useless the regulatory agencies are.

We need more competition in cable as well as utilities. While you're at it lets get some in healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary