Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 9,740 times

Advertisements

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Home in Raleigh NC.

The elevation of our house is lower than a house on a street above ours. Water originates at a house on the street above us, but is behind our neighbors house. This problem became a major issue after the property owners built a new house. There was a water issue prior to the house being built but it has significantly gotten worse since this new house was built.

Water comes from the street above ours onto my neighbors property whose elevation is slightly higher than my elevation. The water then moves down the street to my property where I am handling the overwhelming amount with expensive drains that I recently had constructed. My construction cannot handle the bulk of water. I fear that the water is compromising my foundation.

I have a neighbor who is lower in elevation that I am. Can I legally divert some of this water with a berm to move down the street to lower elevations?

We have a HOA and the water crosses the common area owned by the HOA before it gets to any of our houses. Does the HOA have an obligation here? Is the property owner "uphill" responsible?

Is there someone at Wake County government who can advise me on this?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
if you have an HOA, and this water flow crosses HOA land, then that is where you should start.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:23 PM

379 posts, read 749,395 times
We have water issues in our neighborhood. Contact the neighbor, contact the HOA, and get everyone to work together to figure it out.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
All of you should go to your HOA. The more hard surface created, the more roots (grass, trees, flora and fauna) dug up, the more water will flow to anywhere it can sink into...in this case your yard. So this will only get worse if there is more construction to be done, roads to be added and/or widened, shopping center, parking lot, etc. asphalted. There are people who can devise a plan. It's a matter of what agency/engineer to use.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:32 PM

Thank you very much. That's what I thought. They are denying help and we have asked several times. Our next step is legal action since we are still experiencing damage.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Any referral on an engineer or firm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
All of you should go to your HOA. The more hard surface created, the more roots (grass, trees, flora and fauna) dug up, the more water will flow to anywhere it can sink into...in this case your yard. So this will only get worse if there is more construction to be done, roads to be added and/or widened, shopping center, parking lot, etc. asphalted. There are people who can devise a plan. It's a matter of what agency/engineer to use.
Do you have anyone you can refer? We had one engineer from out of the area look at the situation and he agrees that the HOA needs to step in and he offered some ideas. We need someone local.

Thanks so much!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you have an HOA, and this water flow crosses HOA land, then that is where you should start.
Thank you. That's what we thought although they are denying that it is their problem and have refused to help twice now. Next step is legal action.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoneuser View Post
Do you have anyone you can refer?
Don d'Ambrosi
d'Ambrosi Land Consulting Services
275 Ferrell Road West
Apex NC 27523
(919) 819-8272

Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM

644 posts, read 842,432 times
What about landscaping solution that could possibly use the "accumulated water"? Perhaps, like a fountain. I know sounds crazy but I am in a similar position as you OP (may not be that bad). I have a fairly large elevation for which water is diverted into a sink hole of sorts, that water doesn't go away anywhere though. It probably amounts to a good 50 gallons.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:07 AM

62 posts, read 92,066 times
It is against the law to "divert" water from its natural flow if it will affect or damage another persons property. The construction company got its money and have now cleared out I would bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary