Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 27,464 times

Advertisements

I have searched everywhere but I can only find laws related to rental properties. I live on a street of 12 houses, all of which are owned. I work really hard to afford this house and I am extremely proud of what I have accomplished. I am very upset that certain neighbors on my street do not seem to have the same level of pride that i have in their homes. My neighbor that is adjacent to me is consistantly letting her children run all over my yard and they have destroyed several bushes and plants. Whenever she has a party, which is frequent, her guests hang out on the driveway and throw their trash all over my yard. I had not realized how bad it was until this last weekend when I removed a large number of bushes from the property as I intend to place a face up. I found a ton of her children's toys, broken beer bottles, a dirty diaper that had strategically been placed at the base of the tree on my side of the trunk. (this tree lines the property. I have asked her son several times to tell her to refrain from placing trash on my yard, yet when I when to finish the bushes today, there was new trash. Her husband and his two brothers (who all apparently live there) stood on teh front porch glaring at me as I policed the area. whenever I came near to the proptery line then walked aburptly towards me like they were about to start a fight. Long story I know, but I needed to explain the issue in order to get the best advice. The neighbors obviously do not care if they upset others. I am at the center of the cul de sac and I have repeatedly been blocked in my driveway by their friends cars that do not chose to use the driveway for some odd reason, horns honking at all hours, loud parties that result in trash all over my yard, children and adults tresspassing, trash all over their yard, and difinitely over occupied resident. It is a 3 bedroom house. There is one child, male age 12; one child female age 11; one child female age 2, the house owner female, her husband and at least 2 other adult males?!?!? uh who is sleping where??? What laws would cover the issues and whom would I contact since they are not renters??? Thanks for reading my woos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times
My solution would be too barbaric and vigilante for City Data tastes but you need to call the cops as often as necessary. You are even within your rights to videotape this nonsense. If they indeed threaten you and make aggressive gestures they need to be brought back to reality and stopped in their tracks.

Great examples for those kids, huh?

People can write their disdain for Cary all they want but I wouldn't live elsewhere for this very reason.

Please keep us posted.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
I suppose you could contact the police regarding excessive noise (and maybe the trash to). It would really help if you could get photographic evidence of them doing this.

Do you have any neighborhood association. Have you talked to the neighbor on the other side of them? Are they also having problems? Is there any "history" between the two of you that might have caused this?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Wink Yeah Great example

Truthfully, both of the older kids are very nice. I speak alot to the boy since he has to translate since none of the adults in the house speak English. This is another major issue since I can not ensure that the information being given is accurate. I will have to call the police. I did not really want to "go there" but I love my house and I want it to look nice and to have nice neightbors that care too. I wish I had bought the first house I looked at that WAS in Cary...Hindsight is 20/20

Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Default no history

Actually I purchased my house in Aug 2007 and they purchased in Sept of 2007. We haven't had any ill words or issues. I even took her kids trick or treating twice and her son has play video games with mine a few times....It was just her, her husband and kids at first. Then the rest moved in and that is when everything started. That was about 6 months ago. The neighbors on the other side are also concerned about the level of noise but have had no trash. There are no trees/bushes between them but there are bushes/trees between us so that may explain the reason for that. My other neighbor has been blocked in her driveway too but is rarely home.

Also, I am one that keeps to myself a lot. The entire time I have lived in the house, I have had one party. My dogs are the quietest on the block, but EVERYONE has dogs on the block so I know that is not the issue (even though the husband hates animals) My son is rarely home as he is in college now and working. He is a quiet guy too. My boyfriend is also quite to himself and when we are out in the yard, it is working on his bike, yard work or just sitting on the porch...can't image that any of that is an issue

Last edited by KraziKatt; 03-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: added information and a few misspells

Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Can you build a fence?

Sounds like there is more than a litter issue. (And as I mentioned in another thread, some of our newcomers are sometimes, as part of their culture, litterers. It's just a fact.)

Maybe there is a drinking problem with some of the residents. That's why I wouldn't push it until you are ready to face possible consequences.

In the meantime, why not call the non-emergency number of your local police department and simply ask for their advice? The Raleigh non-emergency number is 831-6311. In Knightdale, it's 217-2261. Make sure you are clear that you do not want an in-person visit, you just want to talk to someone by phone. Before you call, make a simple list of everything they've done that is really against the law:

a) trespassing
b) littering on your property
c) noisy parties (they're breaking the law only if it's between 11 pm and 7 am in Raleigh; ask the police what the law is in Knightdale)
d) blocking you in (call the police every time they block you in)

Tell them about the intimidating behavior, too. It's not against the law, but it does indicate there could be problems down the line.

They're not breaking any laws with seven people in the house. I grew up in a family of eight!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-17-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 AM

7,148 posts, read 4,742,203 times
I know someone who is going through similar problems but not to the extreme of having garbage and gross things being dumped in his yard.

He has lived in his neighborhood for years and years. Over time, people of like-mindedness and custom have moved into his neighborhood. They block off the street in the evenings on weekends, playing loud music and partying in the culdesac, and blocking his driveway. It's to the point that he's afraid to confront the situation when he wants to leave the house on the weekends and he cannot get through his street.

Don't let it get out of hand.

Take pictures, and set up a video camera which is not visible, for proof of the damage being done to your property. And call the police before you're taken advantage of even more.

Best luck,
toodie

Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 AM

234 posts, read 822,903 times
Sounds like you either need a fence (wont help the noise) or just move. I know the moving comment sounds crazy, but I doubt you will ever get the neighbors to change to your liking. If you call the police that may help, but most times the neighbors just wont care and keep doing what they do. I am guessing you dont have a HOA right? People here complain about HOA's all the time, but here is another case when they would help!

Good luck!!

John

Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
It doesn't sound like this has been going on too long, and it might be more the influence of the extra men around...Can you invite the homeowner over for a coffee - perhaps ask a friend who might be able to translate? It sounds like you used to have good relations, so maybe you can commiserate with the extra crowd in the house and figure out a way together to get it toned down? Any idea if it is his brothers or her brothers? If it is his, then the gal-pal way might be a way to get a handle on the situation and figure out what might work - there might be nothing that she can do about it except do little things that might make it more bearable...eg: placing a trashbin on their side of the property for the garbage to go in and perhaps help you put up a low fence to prevent incursions by guests...another thing - you don't mention where this is, but it might be worth reading up on noise ordinance and day/time in your community & translate it for her - say, you don't want to cause trouble, but if they are breaking the law with noise, then you just want to let her know because no one wants the police stopping by when the hear the noise on a saturday night or sunday...

We all know from experience that the escalation method really doesn't work - so I'd go with the polite, sympathetic method. EG: 'it must be really hard on you with all the extra adults in the house, messing it up and being loud. with my child off to college, it is hard getting used to how quiet my house is. how long are they staying?' kind of conversation....

:-)

then, if you find out they are never leaving, put the house on the market -- it is a great time to sell and buy right now!!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
My solution would be too barbaric and vigilante for City Data tastes but you need to call the cops as often as necessary. You are even within your rights to videotape this nonsense. If they indeed threaten you and make aggressive gestures they need to be brought back to reality and stopped in their tracks.

Great examples for those kids, huh?

People can write their disdain for Cary all they want but I wouldn't live elsewhere for this very reason.

Please keep us posted.
Don't mean to be nasty or mean, but I'm sure this happens all over including Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary