Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Two weeks on the market: no showing, lowered price, fairly new house, pricing correctly, good agency

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 PM

473 posts, read 1,737,664 times

Advertisements

Yeah i know only 2 weeks on the market and we lowered our price but we are SO in love with this house we found (keeping it MY secret). We do have a back up house and they are both comp. in price. Praying hard that this reduection will help us out. We dropped about 5k. Its not a LOT but its something.

I rather lower now and get more peeks at our house than become the house on the market forever. Its ashame, we have a nice house.. its fairly new still and has a lot to offer except that its not in Cary or Apex. LOL Sorry to those living there. NO offense at all but whats wrong with cows and tobacco farms? (Willow Spring) LOL Yeah its a personal preference. Some love more country, others don't.

Ok just had to get that out in the open for whatever reason I do not know.

Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:36 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,956 times
I wish you the best of luck! There are still plenty of buyers out there, so its all about pricing it correctly and the home making a good impression.

Have you had a lot of buyers preview the house but not make an offer OR have you had just a few showings?

Also, are you working with a Realtor or going FSBO. I am a mortgage consultant not a Realtor, so I am not trying to solicit a listing... just curious on your approach.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM

We are selling with a good agent/agency from Raleigh. We are happy with them so far and they are making all suggestions to help. But we have to learn to listen and recently have. We dropped to the price range he originally said to do. $229K (10K drop) We are still slow ... I hear crickets. Our house is nice.. not a thing wrong with it. We showed it 3 times.. 2 x to buyers and 1 x to an agent for preview. They all said nice stuff.. but some wanted different floor plan and another didn't like the rural road behind our house. Its not a busy road.. there's more tractor traffic than anything. We have a 5ft fence to keep everyone safe as well. But a few trees would also make a difference if the agent showing the house knew enough to suggest that.

The agent preview gave us great feedback. But the new construction has everyone suckered in. We have .55 acre property and the house is 2122 st ft in a nice n'hood and you don't wake up shaking hands with your neighbor. OH and we are in a culdesac lot. We have a lot to offer in this house but I can't beg people to come see it.

Oh well.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:45 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Showings are slow everywhere. When I say "everywhere", I mean the Triangle area.

Partly due to this time of year and partly due to the media.

Great time to be a buyer but not so happy times for sellers.

Think of it this way...you loved your house and bought it. Someone will come along that will love it too and they will buy it. Now that its priced right...Hang in there! We just have no control over WHEN! Yep...frustrating for the sellers AND their Agent. I speak from experience!

Vicki

Last edited by VickiR; 12-09-2007 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: added a point

Old 12-09-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks Vicki. We are keeping things in perspective and know we have so much to be thankful for. This is just a little irriation in our lives right now. We don't HAVE to sell but it would alleviate a lot of financial burdens if we did. Just trying to be a wise person before we get in a rut.

Thanks again for lifting my spirits.. at least I know its just not us!

Linda

Old 12-09-2007, 01:38 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,894 times
Isn't real estate all about the Location? Now I know the Triangle pretty well but I had to google Willow Spring to see where the hell it was.

I'm sure your house is delightful, but its a fair way out of town. I love the countryside but commute time etc. would put most prospects off for a start. There's a lot of choice out there, plus there's probably a lot of comps in Fuquay too for those who do want a bit more land for their buck.

I'm about to put a house on the market which is on the Wake-Durham county border. In other words, awesome location. Built in 2000, its one of the nicest houses in the neighborhood. It will be on the market for 170K...but I bet it'll be 6 months before I sell it. I would advise you to expect the same.

Last edited by Big M; 12-09-2007 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: removed a point

Old 12-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
Isn't real estate all about the Location? Now I know the Triangle pretty well but I had to google Willow Spring to see where the hell it was.

I'm sure your house is delightful, but its a fair way out of town. I love the countryside but commute time etc. would put most prospects off for a start. There's a lot of choice out there, plus there's probably a lot of comps in Fuquay too for those who do want a bit more land for their buck.

I'm about to put a house on the market which is on the Wake-Durham county border. In other words, awesome location. Built in 2000, its one of the nicest houses in the neighborhood. It will be on the market for 170K...but I bet it'll be 6 months before I sell it. I would advise you to expect the same.
Geeez how negative. Willow Spring happens to be A HUGE up and coming area. You really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to location. There have been several new subdiv. built in the past couple years and are packed full. Personally.. for me.. I think Durham County is not desirable. Not saying that to be mean but saying that to prove a point that it might be for someone but not for all, just like MY area. Some love country. My area is only about 7 minutes from Hwy 401 in Fuquay Varina. And if you want a big bang for your buck with more land in FV thats dandy but you are gonna drive for some time to get to it.

I am not expecting to sell overnight but I am expecting to sell well before 6 months. If I don't I won't bother at all.

I am a NJ transplant... sorry about the 'tude.. it comes out from time to time when I get irritated.

Linda

Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Geeez how negative. Willow Spring happens to be A HUGE up and coming area. You really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to location. There have been several new subdiv. built in the past couple years and are packed full. Personally.. for me.. I think Durham County is not desirable. Not saying that to be mean but saying that to prove a point that it might be for someone but not for all, just like MY area. Some love country. My area is only about 7 minutes from Hwy 401 in Fuquay Varina. And if you want a big bang for your buck with more land in FV thats dandy but you are gonna drive for some time to get to it.

I am not expecting to sell overnight but I am expecting to sell well before 6 months. If I don't I won't bother at all.

I am a NJ transplant... sorry about the 'tude.. it comes out from time to time when I get irritated.

Linda
They do have a point...with the price of gas these days....not everyone is willing to commute from an outlaying area, no matter how charming and how much 'more for your money' you get.

This doesn't mean your house won't sell...but it is going to effect how fast and for how much it does finally sell for.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Look at it this way...different people want different things.

NC Mommy bought her house because of reasons that appeal to HER. Another buyer will come along and buy her house for the same reason. Just because a particular house doesn't appeal to every buyer doesn't mean that it doesn't appeal to A buyer.

Like I said, she bought the house and someone else will buy it. Do we know how long that will take? No. Sometimes Realtors can ESTIMATE by other homes that have sold in the neighborhood but not always. Therefore, her home could sell tomorrow or it could take some time. It just depends on when that ONE BUYER comes along!

No, I'm not her listing agent but I am an Agent.

Sometimes people appreciate an experienced honest answer or just someone to listen.

Vicki

Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Look at it this way...different people want different things.

NC Mommy bought her house because of reasons that appeal to HER. Another buyer will come along and buy her house for the same reason. Just because a particular house doesn't appeal to every buyer doesn't mean that it doesn't appeal to A buyer.

Like I said, she bought the house and someone else will buy it. Do we know how long that will take? No. Sometimes Realtors can ESTIMATE by other homes that have sold in the neighborhood but not always. Therefore, her home could sell tomorrow or it could take some time. It just depends on when that ONE BUYER comes along!

No, I'm not her listing agent but I am an Agent.

Sometimes people appreciate an experienced honest answer or just someone to listen.

Vicki

I vote for an experienced agent's answer rather than someone who doesn't even KNOW where a particular city even is and making an opinion on it from just googling it. I can do that about any n'hood and draw a conclusion and say what I THINK but not what really is true. Location is important and you can be in the heart of Raleigh with your neighbor practically in bed with you each night. I don't love the cookie cutter n'hoods. I see a LOT of that in Raeigh and Cary and Apex. BUT it doesn't mean it won't attract someone else. I saw an area today in FV that has these HUGE houses for low money and .14 acre of land. The backyards were the size of my hallways in my house if that. The driveway could probably hold half my truck and the garage maybe the other half which means it would have to stay open all day. Ok so I am rambling. But still.. this wouldn't work for me, but it might work for another.. to each their own!!! But my point of this post was for some moral support not to hear someone tell me I won't sell for 6 months. Thats just rude. I mean we all have a story.. I am a mom of 4.. 3 of which are under 5 and I am homeschooling. These are MY choices and now we have decided to help our wallets a bit by downsizing on price after a big mess after a job loss a couple years ago which what brought us here.

Anyway... thank you for the support Vicki.. its very much appreciated. I am keeping faith and very pleased with my agent (which you are not LOL.. he's a guy and his name is not vicki LOL) and he is doing all he can to market my home. He says that the holiday is a down time and we understand that.. but I am allowed to whine a bit.. LOL Cleaning house with 3 little ones each day anticipating a showing its tiring. The one day I leave w/out making beds I'll get a showing and kick myself in the behind LOL

If you want to hear a funny story about my last house sale.. DM me.. its a good one for an agent to hear.

THanks again Vicki.. you rock!

Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary