Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I understand your skepticism. But you also can't assume that everyone's allergies will be worse either. An example of that is I and my kids can't be in the town of Flag Staff ,AZ. There is something specific we are terribly allergic to there. I mean as soon as we drive into that town we are miserable, doing breathing treatments you name it. I am sure there are people that can't tolerate NC but just because there is a high level of allergens here doesn't neccesarily mean that an allergy sufferer will have trouble here. It depends on what triggers your allergies. You can't lump every asthmatic and allergy sufferer into one category. I am sure like us anyone who is interested in moving out here isn't going to come here blind and not spend at least a bit of time here first. I think you have to share the positive with the negative. I am certainly not saying everyone will not have allergies because we have not but on the same note you can't say that everyone will have allergies if they move here either! Interestingly enough the Dr. we see told us he takes more people off their asthma inhalers when they move from states with lots of pollution (CA,NY,NJ) than he puts on them. Weather I was comparing to a certain town in CA where we lived and simply said that it gets hotter there than here. People from Southern CA will be familair with that area and be able to compare someplace they might have been with someplace they have'nt. I never said it wasn't hot and humid but just that as someone coming from SoCA I thought it was manageable. I was relating MY personal experiences thats all!

I never had allergy problems until I moved South (Grew up in Detroit). My allergies were really bad in Middle Tennessee (Which is notorious for sinus trouble). My sinus Dr. there told me that he had patients who would get on an airplane, and think they werer healed when they got of the plane. Then when they returned, they were back in the same boat. I also had sinus problems in Western and Eastern NC. However, my problems were worse in Western NC. When I go back now for a visit, I can feel you throat closing up when I get off of the plane.
A Dr. told me that it has to do with the fact that in the foothills, you tend to be surrounded with lots of foliage and all the developments are in the valleys. The air just kind of sits there.
I also read an article by an ENT who practiced in the Virginia Mountains. Said that while in practice there, he would see 15 patients a week with sinusitis. After he moved to California, said he would only see 2 or 3 cases a week. Out there he saw more lung issues than sinus. He also said that if one is allergy sensitive in one place, you may develop a different allergy if you move to another location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 10:34 PM

27 posts, read 123,578 times
Quote:
... The majority of people here have their moral compass pointing in the right direction vs CA where the minority do. Good family values, genuinely friendly and caring people. We are so happy we made the choice to come here!
This is such a great thing to hear. Boy, putting everything else aside -- rather positive or negative -- about cities, weather, etc. etc., isn't just wonderful to be raising your family in a state that supports your values!

Oregon (where I've lived since 1988) has the highest population on non-church goers in all of America. Now that does not mean that there are not some wonderful, loving people here, because there are. However, being a born-again Christian is not the always easy here. The college that I work at told us last December we could not use the term "Merry Christmas", but instead were to say Happy Holiday. However, that was not a wish I could comply with. I explained that the Christmas season is not just a holiday season for me, but a time to celebrate my dear Savior's birth. I stood on the man-given rights I had via the union contract to protect my God-given rights to celebrate my Lord. Management backed down, & we were no longer told to stop saying "Merry Christmas." While, I do not pound my faith at anyone else, people know that I am a Christian. And, even though it could cost me my job, if a student comes to me with a pressing problem and gives me permission, I will take the time to pray with them right in my office. But, I am basically a lone wolf where I work at. There are some other Christians, but the environment is intimidating, and they keep a low profile. The though of moving to NC and having others openly share their faith -- as if breathing -- sounds magnificient! Wow -- and, Praise the LORD

Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwithani View Post
This is such a great thing to hear. Boy, putting everything else aside -- rather positive or negative -- about cities, weather, etc. etc., isn't just wonderful to be raising your family in a state that supports your values!

Oregon (where I've lived since 1988) has the highest population on non-church goers in all of America. Now that does not mean that there are not some wonderful, loving people here, because there are. However, being a born-again Christian is not the always easy here. The college that I work at told us last December we could not use the term "Merry Christmas", but instead were to say Happy Holiday. However, that was not a wish I could comply with. I explained that the Christmas season is not just a holiday season for me, but a time to celebrate my dear Savior's birth. I stood on the man-given rights I had via the union contract to protect my God-given rights to celebrate my Lord. Management backed down, & we were no longer told to stop saying "Merry Christmas." While, I do not pound my faith at anyone else, people know that I am a Christian. And, even though it could cost me my job, if a student comes to me with a pressing problem and gives me permission, I will take the time to pray with them right in my office. But, I am basically a lone wolf where I work at. There are some other Christians, but the environment is intimidating, and they keep a low profile. The though of moving to NC and having others openly share their faith -- as if breathing -- sounds magnificient! Wow -- and, Praise the LORD

Wow, much as I've always wanted to visit Oregon and see Crater Lake I sure could never live in the kind of environment you describe! That is just so foreign sounding - like being in another country! Nobody I know ever tries to pound their faith into anyone else, but we sure do mention God's name and appreciate his blessings around here on a regular basis It is not at all uncommon to even see diners praying a blessing over their meal in restaurants. I am so excited for you to have the opportunity to join us here in North Carolina

Old 10-25-2006, 05:32 PM

168 posts, read 267,738 times
Hi Lolahbelle,

So glad to read your post. I'm a native WNYer and hate when I'm lumped in with the NYC folks...the two places couldn't be more different. How would you rate the Triangle in comparison to the Rochester area?

We've moved to Central Florida for job reasons and hate it here. There isn't much here that I find appealing, the weather is awful, no change of seasons...just hot all the time. I haven't met anyone interested in the things I'm interested in...gardening, art, music etc. So looks like we're going to be "halfbacks"...my hubby can't deal with all the snow we used to get...7.5" is nothing!

Would you say that the lifestyle in that part of NC is close to that of WNY?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,514 times
Quote:
Hmmm well we moved here from SO CAL. Before that Mill Valley CA in the Bay area. In SO CAL we lived in the Temecula area. This past Summer here in NC was much cooler than it gets in Temecula. There were a couple of really sticky days but the rest was very do-able. No I wouldn't go out and run a marathon in it but for going about daily business and being in and out of a car with AC and establishments with AC it was no big deal. COmpared to Mill Valley and even warmer parts of the Bay area yes a huge change. Cary as far as "strip malls and traffic" is almost commical in comparison to SO CAL. Yes they have strip malls behind all the trees and you actually have cars in front of you at stop lights. But wow I have not had to sit through one light 7 times just to cross an intersection like I did in SoCal! As far as allergies go.....well myself and 3 of my kids all suffer from Asthma and severe allergies. Guess what we have had a HUGE improvement with them since moving out here. KNow why? There is no pollution! My oldest son is off of all his medication and used his inhaler for maybe the 3rd time since June while we were in the mountains this weekend. So I personally think you have to be allergic to something very specific in this area to have an increase in your allergies. NOW that said I have not gone through the pollen season here which I am sure will be bad but I would rather have a month of misery VS 365 days of it. I agree the weather is pretty un predictable. But it is gorgeous. We love it. It is a super environment to raise kids in. The majority of people here have their moral compass pointing in the right direction vs CA where the minority do. Good family values, genuinely friendly and caring people. We are so happy we made the choice to come here!
I was happy to see that you were from Mill Valley, CA. I live in San Anselmo and have been a Marin resident for over 10 years. I love it here, but you're right the traffic is horrible. Not to mention the insane cost to live here. We just got married and desperately want to buy a house under a million$!! My husband is originally from Mississippi & Georgia, so the change wouldn't be that drastic, but I am from Nova Scotia! We are seriously considering the move to Cary, NC, but need more information about the people & lifestyle differences from No.Cal. We are ready to start a family and want to make the move for a friendly and "lighter" lifestyle.

Thank you!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 AM

10 posts, read 37,393 times
Default weather-the good and the ?bad?!!!

Last week it was 70-80 during the day, 40 at night.This morning in Cary it was about 40 at 7AM. It is going to warm to about 50-55 today and will get to under 30 this evening which is the coldest it has been so far this fall. I still have some tender houseplants out which I will bring inside today. Generally there are still a few roses on the bushes through November. I really know the weather because I moved here to enjoy the change from northern New Jersey. My son misses the snow. It has snowed here about 4 or 5 times in the 7 years I have been here. Snow melts in a day or so and there is little ice to contend with. I am a real estate broker, but that doesn't mean I don't know weather or can't be truthful.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 22,230 times
I have lived in South Florida for 28 years, I am originallly from NJ, I have always missed the change of seasons, so I thought Raleigh NC would be a good place. Got a job and all. Moved here last june 2008. Well , the weather , it rains all the time here. the summer was very hot dry humid , so for you florida people thinking you can handle it. Think again, its not like the humid we get in Florida at all!! People are friendly, not a whole lot of culture here. But one thing that upsets me on a daily bases, is how everyone up here points out my accent!! And tells me I am from New York! Not!! I don't have a very strong accent, but enough to know I am from up north. In Florida , I did not have this problem. Some of the NC people, are rude and don't like us NJ or NYorkers, they don't get our sense of humor here at all! I have been here almost a year. and the weather sucks! A few beautiful days and thats about it. it rains alot. I am use to doing things outside, but just haven't been very active since moving here. RAin! Rain! Rain.! And it will rain during the summer and that makes it worst! Can't breathe. I am very healthy and active, I'm thinking now to move back to Florida, and visit NC when I want to go to the mountains........ One thing more.....the temp changes big time here, last week it was 80 then the next day 39 and right now it 41 and raining. Its pretty wacky

Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 22,230 times
Oh......One more thing, If you are thinking of moving here. Do your homework....This state Tax everything. One thing I did not know, but found out from my co-worker who moved here from Ohio and her son was appling for his Driver Lic. but did not own a car. North Carolina, is the only state in this country that if you want a North Carolina Driving Lic. and you don't own a car. You must purchase "NON-OWNER INSURANCE"

Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilano View Post
I have lived in South Florida for 28 years, I am originallly from NJ, I have always missed the change of seasons, so I thought Raleigh NC would be a good place. Got a job and all. Moved here last june 2008. Well , the weather , it rains all the time here. the summer was very hot dry humid , so for you florida people thinking you can handle it. Think again, its not like the humid we get in Florida at all!! People are friendly, not a whole lot of culture here. But one thing that upsets me on a daily bases, is how everyone up here points out my accent!! And tells me I am from New York! Not!! I don't have a very strong accent, but enough to know I am from up north. In Florida , I did not have this problem. Some of the NC people, are rude and don't like us NJ or NYorkers, they don't get our sense of humor here at all! I have been here almost a year. and the weather sucks! A few beautiful days and thats about it. it rains alot. I am use to doing things outside, but just haven't been very active since moving here. RAin! Rain! Rain.! And it will rain during the summer and that makes it worst! Can't breathe. I am very healthy and active, I'm thinking now to move back to Florida, and visit NC when I want to go to the mountains........ One thing more.....the temp changes big time here, last week it was 80 then the next day 39 and right now it 41 and raining. Its pretty wacky
Not certain why you revived a thread that is almost 2 1/2 years old but.....seems NC is not for you. Different strokes for different folks. We've been here just under a year and love it....wish we moved here 20 years ago. Funny, I never find myself complaining about anything down here - not much needs fixing. As far as Fla - been there several times, both east and west coasts - hated them both and wouldn't ever consider living there.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilano View Post
Well , the weather , it rains all the time here........I have been here almost a year. and the weather sucks!........ A few beautiful days and thats about it. it rains alot. ....... RAin! Rain! Rain.!
This is about the funniest and most off base observation of the weather here that I have ever read. We seem to be in drought most of the time. Drought = lack of rain. This weekend is one of the very rare bad stretches we have experienced here since 2005. We are always amazed at how many glorious days we get here. We have been fortunate to have caught up on our rain over the last year, but most of it comes quickly and hard. The majority of the time is fabulous. It is so much better than the northeast and we love the change of seasons which is why we eliminated the horrible conditions in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary