Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
Snowshoeing??? No flippin' way. lol I've been wearing my winter coat inside all day. I've been cold.all.day. I don't think I'm interested in winter sports. I'll stick with my urban hiking a/k/a shopping. Actually, I've been hibernating and not doing much of anything.

(I'm originally from South Carolina. I hate this cold weather. Bring on the heat!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM

698 posts, read 960,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Snowshoeing??? No flippin' way. lol I've been wearing my winter coat inside all day. I've been cold.all.day. I don't think I'm interested in winter sports. I'll stick with my urban hiking a/k/a shopping. Actually, I've been hibernating and not doing much of anything.

(I'm originally from South Carolina. I hate this cold weather. Bring on the heat!)
I was half joking. I don't like the cold either and never participated in any winter (outdoor) activities

Urban hiking, that's a cute name for it

Any chance you'll move back to the warmth?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
BullCity I have vauge recollections of Charlton Dude... lol
The Dude abides.

Funny, I was thinking that same connection when I saw your location. Say hey to him for us if you bump into him!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:02 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
Isn't Charlton Dude in NC living somewhere near Fuquay/Apex? If he moved, I think he's in TX, now. I haven't kept up with him, but there is a dude I keep running into on some threads about Charlton on citydata who lives in TX now.

I don't know if we'll ever move back. The husband likes to tease me because he knows house hunting is my past time. It's what I do to avoid cleaning. He liked NC, has contacts there, etc. So I wouldn't rule it out, but we're near family now and moving schools and friends is hard on kids which I'd like to avoid. You never know what the future holds. If we ever moved again I would imagine it would be due to a job.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM

644 posts, read 842,432 times
since you are up north

Things I miss about Connecticut:
1. The choice in food (locally owned restaurants)
2. The availability of food throughout the night (want a pizza at 1 a.m. check, want a falafel at 2 a.m. check, want a nice Eggplant parm at 10 a.m. check)
3. Movie, art and cultural fests
4. Running into a person from a part of the world that makes you go "seriously, does this place exist?"

Hope this makes you feel better?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:36 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
BUT ... on the plus side, based on your posting location ... you're right in the heart of the BIRTHPLACE OF CHARLTON DUDE!

Sorry for the high COL, low QOL, though...

<duckin' and runnin'...>

(Insider joke for the very long time C-D RTP forum'ers here)
Too funny, and coincidentally, I made a reference to him recently when someone dug up and commented on an old post of which Charlton Dude/In & Out/Apex Intruder etc etc was the OP.

KellyCrash....I hear ya. I'm from RI used to live in Boston. While I love NC, there are certainly some things unique to NE and if you move back here, you are sure to miss the rich history, colonial architecture, Copley Square, Faneuil Hall, the Cape, etc etc.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:39 PM

215 posts, read 371,106 times
I really miss Smithfields. I moved to the mountains, and I had no idea they weren't out here. There are BBQ places but it's more red sauce.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
1. warm weather
2. neighborhood pool
3. Smithfield's fried chicken and shrimp
4. Chick Fil A
5. Krispy Kreme
6. clean roads (my road is currently covered in salt & sand)
7. abundant parks everywhere
8. NC State Farm Days
9. Crabtree Mall

That's all I can think of right now.... I'm really missing NC right now. We have a about a foot of snow on the ground and more on the way.
I'm not from NC...but interested in NC.

The things you miss are chain stores and malls? Those should be nationally everywhere across the U.S.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not from NC...but interested in NC.

The things you miss are chain stores and malls? Those should be nationally everywhere across the U.S.

I think it is particular chains and particular malls. Not all chains exist in every state. We don't exactly have In-and-Out Burger in the Triangle.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:05 PM

150 posts, read 175,449 times
Quote:

Hey, I'm originally from SC too...but I am hot-natured, so I like cooler weather

I'm only moderately sympathetic, though. I spent 5 years in Colorado and 3 years in Ottawa, Ontario.

If snowshoes are out, I guess cross-country skis are too... Stay active to stay warm!

(I used to LOVE to ski up in Canada, especially out in the country, where you could FEEL the quiet and serenity.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary