Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 PM

80 posts, read 155,881 times

Advertisements

Please help

I will be moving from the uk WITH TWO KIDS AGE 5 and 13 yrs. i would like a nice suburb with A rated schools or near to any good private schools. I have heard that Raleigh is great but what do you think. we would like a nice 4/5 bed in a middle class area. is there diversity? good schools and a safe neighborhood are priority. greatful for honest opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Raleigh is a good idea, but usually you want to stick to the Northern part as that has most of the newer development. It has more access to shopping, ammenities and has several good subdivisions. In Raleigh a 4/5 bedroom will likely be expensive, but usually value compares to the UK.

Cary is also great, always ranked as one of the best palces to live and #14 on safest US cities but can also be expensive. Apex and Holly Springs are a little further suburbs from Raleigh and are also ranked on best places to live in the US. They are more affordable however.

All of them are rather safe and have decent school systems, but check local information as it can vary by area. It also depends on what type of employment you are looking for, some areas of NC are easier to find some types of jobs than others.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Now is frnkaly not a good time to come--the entire state is in the grip of an extreme drought (actually "exceptional"--we would need a lot of rain to move up to only the "extreme" category) and things are really starting to look bad. The fewer new humans moving here, the better, at the moment.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,577,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Now is frnkaly not a good time to come--the entire state is in the grip of an extreme drought (actually "exceptional"--we would need a lot of rain to move up to only the "extreme" category) and things are really starting to look bad. The fewer new humans moving here, the better, at the moment.
Should we be telling people not to come because of the drought?! I understand it is bad but consider the move from the UK. It will take a long time, by which point we should have some relief from the drought. As for the OPs question. I am originally from the UK. Lived in FL for 7 years and now here for 18 months. Depending on what part of the UK you are from will depend on how comparable the house prices are. If you are from the South (London and surrounding areas) you will be very pleasantly surprised by the home prices. If you are from the North of England / Wales / Scotland the prices will be pretty comparable but probably still less here than there.

If you are considering private school then you may want to think about Durham. There is the Durham Academy, Duke School and others and you would get much more bang for your buck as far as housing goes. To be honest, with both of your children already inthe British school system, any public school here, regardless of where it is, is going to be much below British education. Private school may be a better way to keep them challenged. We live in Durham and love it. There are bad parts to Durham like there are anywhere else. It is also more convenient to many places of work, although you did not mention where you would be working.

If you need any more help let me know.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
I think all of the surburbs around here meet your criteria. Actually, I find that the cities have a very suburban feel to them, too. You're really spoiled for choice here. Donna mentioned some great private schools and there are many more available if that interests you.

If it's important to you to keep your children in a British-style school and you are flexible about your location within North Carolina, you might be interested in the British American School in Charlotte.
British American School of Charlotte - The British Schools of America provide high quality education in a structured, positive and caring environment, which meets the individual needs of pupils. (http://www.britishschool.org/site/epage/32179_565.htm - broken link)
It isn't convenient to the Triangle, obviously, but as I said, if your location is flexible this might be a good option.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Sure the dorught is a concern here (and we are not alone, much of the SE is in a drought). I don't think its time to hang up a sign saying "go home" or "NC is closed".

We need to conserve and think carefully about how we develop and expand. With good planning and strategic growth there is plenty of water, just need to convince people that huge green lawns with sprinkler systems are not a requirement.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix9 View Post
Please help

I will be moving from the uk WITH TWO KIDS AGE 5 and 13 yrs. i would like a nice suburb with A rated schools or near to any good private schools. I have heard that Raleigh is great but what do you think. we would like a nice 4/5 bed in a middle class area. is there diversity? good schools and a safe neighborhood are priority. greatful for honest opinions
I live in a sub division called Enchanted Oaks which is off Lake Wheeler and South of raleigh. Frankly I couldn't be happier with the area , it has a semi rural feel but is only 10 minutes from Downtown. There is good shopping locally . I don't knoiw much about schools cos my kids ( well 32 & 27) live in UK.
PM me if you have any further quetions . My ex- Brit perspective may be useful

Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post

"We need to conserve and think carefully about how we develop and expand. With good planning and strategic growth there is plenty of water, just need to convince people that huge green lawns with sprinkler systems are not a requirement."
AMEN TO THAT!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,481 times
So many areas to consider. You will have to really do your homework with an experienced and educated agent. Wake County is a super choice .. I live in the southern wake county area and I love it. Prices are still very affordable too and property taxes aren't as high as other areas more north.

Do some searching in Willow Spring and Fuquay-Varina.. you will see a lot of good homes there.

Linda

Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 PM

87 posts, read 361,102 times
Default donna 78

Can you tell me what you think about North Durham? I am looking into Black Horse Run community also the area is called Bahama...is this a good area? I'm from MA...thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary