Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times

Advertisements

Looking for a local place to find "tall" sized shirts. A lot of the big department stores have a terrible selection, and most of the "big & tall" clothes look like leftovers from the Sopranos tv show wardrobe department, or from a south Florida retirement community yard sale.

Can a tall guy get decently trendy or nice looking shirts anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
What about the Mens Wearhouse, BK? There are several in the area.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Looking for a local place to find "tall" sized shirts. A lot of the big department stores have a terrible selection, and most of the "big & tall" clothes look like leftovers from the Sopranos tv show wardrobe department, or from a south Florida retirement community yard sale.

Can a tall guy get decently trendy or nice looking shirts anywhere?
My husband wears a Tall, and we could sometimes luck out at the Belk's Mens' store at Crabtree....but even then it's hit or miss. There really isn't much out there in Raleigh. We learned to shop for him when visiting other places!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM

58 posts, read 65,438 times
Is Casual Male still on Glenwood? You might want to look at their site online to see if their merchandise is what you are looking for. My husband used to shop there a lot.

BTW, what's wrong with the Soprano look? I thought Tony cleaned up pretty well.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex mom View Post
Is Casual Male still on Glenwood? You might want to look at their site online to see if their merchandise is what you are looking for. My husband used to shop there a lot.

Destination XL on Glenwood is a cut above Casual male...they are owned by the same folks but have better quality stuff (at higher prices.) They have Tailors on site. I have also had luck buying dress shirts at Men's Warehouse, and I have an odd size as well (19 36/37 Trim Cut.)

Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
While we're at it, why aren't there any stores for just tall (not big) men? My son is 6'5" with a 36" inseam, and it's nearly impossible to find anything in a store that fits. We order things online, but he would like to try things on and see how they look before purchasing.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
Clothes are getting harder and harder to find in my opinion. I've worn a 38x34 or 36x34 pants for years. And now, a lot of companies don't make 34 length in anything bigger than a 34 waist. Generally, the larger the waist sizes go, the shorter the legs get. Apparently you can't be tall and have a waist larger than 34 inches.

I've worn a 2x shirt for a while, and have recently lost weight and can wear xl too. My problem is, a lot of shirts get bigger at the bottom, like a Christmas tree. I hate this, but apparently, everything is designed to fit a small percentage of people. I have a big chest and very broad shoulders, and a lot of xl shirts are tight around the shoulders. And most XXLs are so wide at the bottom, I could carry 3 truck tires under them. Seriously, they simply make the bigger shirts shaped like a Christmas tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex mom View Post

I don't want a shirt with an elastic waistband. I don't want all plaids! I don't want my clothes to look like they came from my grandfathers' closet. And most of the selection of B&T in local stores is severely outdated. I understand that a lot of companies can't be bothered to make clothes in a 5x. I'd just be happy to find something in a XL tall that's not from the 70s.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Clothes are getting harder and harder to find in my opinion. I've worn a 38x34 or 36x34 pants for years. And now, a lot of companies don't make 34 length in anything bigger than a 34 waist. Generally, the larger the waist sizes go, the shorter the legs get. Apparently you can't be tall and have a waist larger than 34 inches.

I've worn a 2x shirt for a while, and have recently lost weight and can wear xl too. My problem is, a lot of shirts get bigger at the bottom, like a Christmas tree. I hate this, but apparently, everything is designed to fit a small percentage of people. I have a big chest and very broad shoulders, and a lot of xl shirts are tight around the shoulders. And most XXLs are so wide at the bottom, I could carry 3 truck tires under them. Seriously, they simply make the bigger shirts shaped like a Christmas tree.

I don't want a shirt with an elastic waistband. I don't want all plaids! I don't want my clothes to look like they came from my grandfathers' closet. And most of the selection of B&T in local stores is severely outdated. I understand that a lot of companies can't be bothered to make clothes in a 5x. I'd just be happy to find something in a XL tall that's not from the 70s.
Brother, I understand you. What you need to do, at least as far as button up dress shirts go, is order fitted trim cut shirts. That's what I do. As heavy as I am, I am broader around the shoulders and chest than I am the waist. Order Fitted shirts; not the xl/xxl size structure. Measure your neck and sleeve length, then order a trim or slim cut shirt. Your shirt size is three numbers; I'm a 19 36/37; 19 inch neck, 36/37 inch sleeve, trim cut so it doesn't billow around the waist. You will look so much better put together. Suits are another nightmare. The truth is that most people that have as big of a chest and shoulders as I do have bigger waists. I would definitely check out destination XL on Glenwood; I was impressed with what they had in stock s far as styles go, and I'm in my twenties. I still have yet to find a decent fitting golf shirt, though...

Old 03-06-2014, 06:38 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Belk's Men Store at Crabtree works for me. I'm a 16 1/2...36/37 shirt, 36x36 pants. They stock tons of Ralph Lauren that fit me...plus many more brands.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Dodging your question, I had no idea that South Florida had an overabundance of "Big and Tall" men??

I am 6'3" and the Big and Tall dept at Belk told me I didn't 'qualify' for their dept .... ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary