Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,482,530 times

Advertisements

Charleston has a lot of military. It's like living in a small Norfolk, VA. Except Charleston is nicer IMO.

Population of Charleston, SC is around 100k, what is the Triangle? 400k or so IIRC? Maybe more? There is definitely a lot more people here in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.

You'll also find more working professionals here in Raleigh if I were to take a guess. Charleston is a GREAT place to live, don't get me wrong. Small, beachy type feel to it, a nice industry for an anchor (military and now Boeing), lots of growth in the future (more so than in the Triangle) making a home purchase an almost no brainer, etc.

But it's a small town. Nothing like DC. Basically the complete opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,315,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I dunno. Quite a few of my friends are over 30 and single and NONE have ever indicated that they felt JUDGED for being single.

Many are career oriented with more than one degree.

I swear, the ideas you toss out sometimes, man.
These friends must live in the same world where they NEVER come into contact with evangelicals or holy rollers in the Raleigh area.

Last edited by RoaminRebel; 03-09-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,315,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Out of curiosity, where do you live? Also, how old are you, and what years were you in Charleston/Raleigh?

ARDA's religious data on Raleigh vs Washington:
The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports
The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

The percentage of the population that does not belong to any congregation is the same. Washington trades some Protestants for Catholics, and that's about the only difference. In my experience the Triangle is fairly secular, particularly among 20-30 somethings.
A person would be hard pressed to find a place in city data that is as defensive and critical of certain viewpoints as the one for Raleigh.

If you feel that the only difference in the religious culture of Raleigh vs. DC is slightly more Catholics, then you've either never been to DC or have a ulterior motive for saying so.

Since you don't hesitate to interrogate me, may I ask your profession? Are you in the real estate business? You seem to have lots of statistics on hand for a casual poster.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM

637 posts, read 1,059,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
but if men are saying the dating scene is so awesome or whatever in Charleston sounds like there may be a predator problem there than anything. serial daters. etc...which can be found in any city. I wouldn't want my daughters to get caught up in that...
This seems a bit out of touch with modern reality and I don't understand the daughter comment.

As far as anyone protecting their daughters, whether we talk Raleigh or Charleston, the sugar baby scene which is limited only by the geographical boundaries of the Internet, is literally slathered with gorgeous and intelligent college girls (aka sugar babies) from average to high income families who simply want more than their parents are willing to provide and/or are attracted to older and more established partners. So aside from either not having kids at all or finding ways to throw every last dollar to take on the impossible task of making sure a daughter is spoiled with frivolous luxuries beyond that which juggling multiple sugar daddies could provide, there isn't really a solution to that particular social trend you've cited as a problem.

I've never seen a "predator" problem in Charleston, unless you count the college girls preying on sugar daddies as predators. To me there is nothing illegal / immoral about any of it, it's more or less just the natural progression of life made more efficient by technology.

Last edited by jmcstef; 03-09-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,305,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
These friends must live in the same world where they NEVER come into contact with evangelicals or holy rollers in the Raleigh area.
Whatever, man.

Bottom line is that you like twisting words. I get it.

Carry on. I think your perspective is skewed.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 AM

881 posts, read 2,255,750 times
Quote:
I dunno. Quite a few of my friends are over 30 and single and NONE have ever indicated that they felt JUDGED for being single.

Many are career oriented with more than one degree.

I swear, the ideas you toss out sometimes, man.

I am in my early 30's and I most certainly have. The few single friends I have left all feel the same. There is even a very popular tumbler out there that kind of pokes fun of all the dumb things people say to single women concerning this very issue. There are tons of articles that always seem to go viral on FB addressing the same thing. It very much is a problem.
-------------------
Interesting that people keep bringing up in the ratio issue. When I lived in the NYC which has one of the worst ratios for women I had no trouble at all. I went on several dates and eventually settled into a LTR. But due to personal reasons I had to move back here.

I'm not crazy about dating in this area I'll be honest. From what I have noticed online dating seems to be the most popular way to meet. Tinder has gotten super popular. I know several people who use it and meet others on it regularly. Some have even progressed to a relationship it out of it. I feel like I need to get an account

Last edited by ncsualum2004; 03-10-2014 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: .

Old 03-10-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I am in my early 30's and I most certainly have. The few single friends I have left all feel the same. There is even a very popular tumbler out there that kind of pokes fun of all the dumb things people say to single women concerning this very issue. There are tons of articles that always seem to go viral on FB addressing the same thing. It very much is a problem.
-------------------
Interesting that people keep bringing up in the ratio issue. When I lived in the NYC which has one of the worst ratios for women I had no trouble at all. I went on several dates and eventually settled into a LTR. But due to personal reasons I had to move back here.

I'm not crazy about dating in this area I'll be honest. From what I have noticed online dating seems to be the most popular way to meet. Tinder has gotten super popular. I know several people who use it and meet others on it regularly. Some have even progressed to a relationship it out of it. I feel like I need to get an account
There are web sites and FB memes about dating over 30 in the Triangle area being especially difficult or are you talking about dating in general?

My response had more to do with the notion that a person would be ostracized more here than any other place, which I think is a misleading statement.

I can't imagine that one would have more trouble with people asking stupid questions here regarding their single status than they would in any other smaller US city or larger US suburb. It just doesn't seem logical.

As for people asking stupid questions... People ask EVERY group of humans stupid questions. Married women over 30 get their own stupid questions asked of them. I think that is pretty typical across a good many cultures.

My comment had more to do with friends I know who are not married being generally happy and not feeling like social pariahs because they're not married. I don't think many of them struggle to find dates, so I suppose the people who do might feel that way, of course.

But, again, is this not the same pretty much anywhere? I mod the Relationships board and it certainly seems universal over there.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 AM

881 posts, read 2,255,750 times
Quote:

I can't imagine that one would have more trouble with people asking stupid questions here regarding their single status than they would in any other smaller US city or larger US suburb. It just doesn't seem logical.
RoaminRebel said the OP may find the occasional judgement and IMO that is true. Your latest post seems to reading more into. I am simply comparing from my time in NYC since the OP is also coming from a larger metro area. Yes there are differences in terms of how I am treated and the comments made. I am from NC so I am used to it but it's annoying.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
RoaminRebel said the OP may find the occasional judgement and IMO that is true. Your latest post seems to reading more into. I am simply comparing from my time in NYC since the OP is also coming from a larger metro area. Yes there are differences in terms of how I am treated and the comments made. I am from NC so I am used to it but it's annoying.
Fair enough.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 AM

794 posts, read 1,326,965 times
To the OP - As someone mentioned, research each city extensively, then visit each city...then go with your gut. Pick the city that feels like the best match for you; consider your hobbies, interests, career possibilities, etc.

Don't pick a city because a bunch of strangers online tell you it is/is not a good place to meet a guy.

But, since you asked and I actually have experience dating in Raleigh (unlike, I think, others who have responded) - the Raleigh "dating scene" is not horrible, but it may be more limited than what you currently experience in DC. On the other hand, it may be better. It all depends on YOU!

If you are mid-30's, which I think you said you are, you will notice lots of people in their mid-30s are married with children. This is true in much of the South. You may meet and date more men who are divorced than you would in DC. The bar scene is much younger than DC; it will be mostly college age thru mid-20s. The single 30-somethings seem to meet either online, thru friends or thru some group/organization/interest.

I moved down here almost 3 years ago (time flies!) from the DC area. I can't comment on the DC dating scene because I was engaged, then married almost my entire time there. When I moved down here, I was ready to date again. I tried online - it was okay; just okay. What worked better was meetup.com; I joined several groups that I was interested in and made several good friends pretty quickly (most are still really good friends today). I also met men who I knew I shared interests with - several became friends, one turned into something more.

I have never felt judged for being mid-30s and single (only legally speaking now). The only (little bit) of judgement I've felt recently is from a new mother wondering why my BF and I don't have kids yet. I just shrugged it off and luckily she got the hint. This was a friend of a friend; none of my close friends down here have kids, so we're all on the same page.

The most important thing is to live your life according to your interests, be friendly and outgoing and you will meet people, make friends and maybe more. You can do that anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary