Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM

379 posts, read 517,795 times

Advertisements

Hello All, we are looking to come down during the Easter break for another visit. It will be my third time in the area and my wife's fifth. We basically know what we are looking for in terms of neighborhoods and we pinned down several in the Wake Forest area that we like. However, we are going to take another look in Apex, West Cary (Amberly) and possibly some developments in North Raleigh. On our previous visits we were basically house hunting and looking at neighborhoods. On this trip we do plan on visiting some of the local attractions like; Marbles Kids Museum, NC Museum of Natural History, Duke Gardens, Umstead Park etc.. We will be travelling with a 9 year old, so we do have to mix some kid activities into this trip. Are there any "must see" places? Can anyone recommend a good restaurant or two? I already checked and the Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats are out of town , I could have checked another baseball stadium off the list, lol. I will have to wait for that until a future visit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Easter Brunch | The Carolina Inn

Old 03-12-2014, 10:23 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,402 times
If you have a 9 year old, I'd skip Marbles. In my opinion, that's better for the younger set. Instead, I'd go to the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, especially if it's a nice day. Tons of cool stuff to do in the outside exhibits. Not cheap though. We have a membership so can go for free whenever.

http://lifeandscience.org/

Last edited by jill7930; 03-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 AM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
Thanks. We wanted to get out to Durham and Chapel Hill to see the area around there as well. Thanks again for the tip about Marbles. When I looked on the website I came to realize he may be too old for it.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Kids that age like defy gravity in morrisville. Maybe pullen park. My kids are older and still like it. Walking around chapel hill is nice too. Gets some energy out. Knights Play in Apex for golf if you like.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM

18 posts, read 29,922 times
I have a 9 year old and agree - skip Marbles and go for the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. If you end up in downtown Raleigh I love Raleigh Times. The Pit is owned by the same folks and is quite acclaimed - its our local famous BBQ restaurant! They have a great beer selection. You could also hit up one of the "famous" Ashley Christensen restaurants in downtown Raleigh. She's been published everywhere! Ashley Christensen Restaurants

Umstead is fun for hiking or renting a row boat. You could also blow through the History and Natural Science museums in downtown Raleigh.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I agree with the NC Museum of Life & Science in Durham, too. The grown ups will like it also. It's very different from the Raleigh Natural Sciences Museum, which is also good. The NCMLS has a many outdoor exhibits and lots of room for kids to run around and be kids. http://lifeandscience.org

(The trampoline places scare me. I've known several people to get injured pretty severely — torn ACL requiring surgery, broken foot, etc.)

Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Although I agree that Museum of Life and Science is better for a 9-year old, my only qualifier is that it is so big. If you go there, you will want to spend the whole day there - you need it. And it's not cheap, so to me, I wouldn't want to spend $40 for a family of 3 to only skim the surface if I couldn't spend the whole day there. But I'm frugal that way. And I wouldn't want to spend the whole day there if I were only here for the weekend. We got a membership the year we moved here and got to spend a lot of time at the museum without feeling rushed each visit.

Marbles is for the younger set, I agree, but I took my Girl Scout Troop there in January (2nd and 3rd graders) and they found plenty of fun things to do. Best part is that it's cheap ($5 each), so you could just go there, spend a couple of hours and leave. I think there are still enough fun things there for most 9-year olds (probably just-turned 9's rather than 9-turning 10). You'd never need to go back after that one visit, though.

If you think Marbles is too young, another option might be to find a park and do a hike - like Umstead (Raleigh) or the Eno River State Park (Durham). There are some decent trails and you'll likely get to meet people on the trail to talk to and get a feel for the residents of the area. There are also some small trails at the Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill.

If your 9-year old is into sports, there is an indoor rock-climbing place that might be fun, although that's not really unique to the area.

If he's into history, the Duke Homestead is a pretty neat museum. And there is also Bennett Place that he might like.

ETA: A couple more suggestions - how about the Planetarium in CH? Or the Flea Market in Raleigh? That's kind of fun.

That's all I've got.

Last edited by michgc; 03-14-2014 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times
When we were down there in Feb we took our kids to Dave & Busters in Cary. It is in the mall! They LOVED it! We also had appetizers there that were pretty good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary