Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:32 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times

Advertisements

It was a bit weird sweating while we were walking around the lot of Christmas trees yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:41 PM

38 posts, read 161,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
It was a bit weird sweating while we were walking around the lot of Christmas trees yesterday.
I was just thinking that today. Looking at my tree and going out to the car in shorts, VERY different from Connecticut, but I will take it!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Default OK, enough already

While I liked NOT being cold, putting up holiday lights outside, I wish it would cool down again. For the past two days, I have been working around the house in a Tshirt and shorts. Good grief, Charlie Brown. I am just a tad j-e-a-l-o-u-s of those with s-n-o-w.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
If you guys think this weather is weird, imagine having days like this at this time of year, every year:

High 80, Low 72
Relative humidity 78%
Scattered Thunder Storms

That's the forecast for my hometown! I grew up with Christmas time being like that! We would put lights on our blooming hibiscus bushes in front of the house every year. I was always grateful to have weather in the 50's for Christmas, that was always a treat if it even got that cool! My parents would run the sprinklers at night if the low was expected to be close to freezing to protect their tropical plants, but it also gave my sister and I the rare opportunity to actually see icicles form on the plants, and that was a big deal!

I have to admit, though, after being up here for only a year and a half, this warm weather did seem strange to me! Guess the blood thickens just as quickly as it thins.

Last edited by miamiblue; 12-14-2007 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
RDSLOTS, your wish is granted! Well, maybe not the s-n-o-w part, but the temps will dip over the weekend. Rain is expected on Saturday and the highs will be in the 40s next week.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 AM

403 posts, read 929,486 times
^^
Music to my ears! Hopefully we're due for a big snow this year. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by raleightransplant; 12-14-2007 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 09:24 AM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Rain is expected on Saturday and the highs will be in the 40s next week.
Hopefully, it will be a LOT of rain...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
After a quick dumping of 7 inches yesterday in upstate NY, we're bracing for "the big one"...a nor'easter that has the potential to drop feet of snow on our area starting tomorrow......doesn't that just conjure up images of Christmas for all you who miss it? We'll be thinking of you all as we dig out in a few days......

Old 12-14-2007, 12:33 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Step into this post for a virtual reality check to make up for the snow and cold you miss.

On Saturday, Dec 1, I went to watch my son's HS football team play in the "superbowl" (Eastern MA state championship) game at Gillette Stadium. The ambient temp was about 22 degrees with a windchill near zero. It took 2 days to recover all feeling in my hands and feet.

We had some freezing rain and ice last week. We don't get that often--we're used to big snowstorms so we all complained.

I guess God heard us because yesterday we had about 10" of snow. The original forecast showed this storm as a "teaser" storm for the Nor'Easter scheduled to come in here this weekend. The first snowfall forecast was for about 2-3" of it. That's nothing for anyone used to living in MA. The snow fell so fast yesterday (at a rate of over 2" an hour in some spots) that the plows couldn't keep up. It was also a strange weather pattern where ice would form on your windshield wipers and windshield.

Saturday night into Sunday, we're scheduled for a Nor'Easter. It's ridiculously hard to forecast these things since they form over open water, off the coast of (THANK YOU VERY MUCH) North Carolina. The storm track, how far off the coast it is, how much warm air/cold air it drags in--all affect the snowfall totals. Could be an inch or two, could be over a foot. Not one meterologist is commiting him/herself as of yet. The only sure bet is that it will be wet and windy.

Now do y'all feel better?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Now do y'all feel better?
Actually, no. Because I keep seeing these storm systems that almost reach us, but then they dry up. We are DYING to get some rain or snow here to help with the drought problems. While it's nice to walk around outside without a jacket on, I think we'd also welcome a foot of snow so that maybe possibly we'll be able to flush our toilets in the new year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary