Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 AM

24 posts, read 39,786 times

Advertisements

Here I am posting again - we are relocating in June, family with 4 young kids - and I have come to the realization that we most likely will end up in West Cary, due to the fact that my husband and I both will be working in RTP. I really loved Bedford, but I do think the commute might only get worse from now - with the growing population.

I have read and re-read through so many threads on this board, and taken so many notes, it's making my head spin. We are due to visit on our second trip in April, and I wanted to get any opinions on your favorite subdivisions in WC - preferably a custom builder, 4+ bedrooms, and hopefully a family friendly neighborhood with lots of kiddies. Budget is up to 500K. The only neighborhood I am going to exclude is Amberly - I saw a beautiful spec house there, but the lot was ridiculously small (0.10) and I felt as if the homes were just too on top of each other.

Thank you SO much. All of your feedback is GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloverPhils View Post
Here I am posting again - we are relocating in June, family with 4 young kids - and I have come to the realization that we most likely will end up in West Cary, due to the fact that my husband and I both will be working in RTP. I really loved Bedford, but I do think the commute might only get worse from now - with the growing population.

I have read and re-read through so many threads on this board, and taken so many notes, it's making my head spin. We are due to visit on our second trip in April, and I wanted to get any opinions on your favorite subdivisions in WC - preferably a custom builder, 4+ bedrooms, and hopefully a family friendly neighborhood with lots of kiddies. Budget is up to 500K. The only neighborhood I am going to exclude is Amberly - I saw a beautiful spec house there, but the lot was ridiculously small (0.10) and I felt as if the homes were just too on top of each other.

Thank you SO much. All of your feedback is GREATLY appreciated.
It's a tall order.
Larger lots are commonly reserved for more expensive homes.
(I'm sitting here shaking my head at that line, as if $$half a million is chump change in this market.)

Even the production builders are getting $400,000+ for 4+ bedrooms on .16 acre or less.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM

Oh man….we definitely don't need a 'large' lot by any means - but were hoping for at least .20 - I need some kind of yard to throw these kids outside! And I am not talking new construction here, just resales :-). Thanks so much!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Oh man….we definitely don't need a 'large' lot by any means - but were hoping for at least .20 - I need some kind of yard to throw these kids outside! And I am not talking new construction here, just resales :-). Thanks so much!

Ahhh... if you want resales.... you could try Cary Park (not all of that is custom, though), and you might find something in Cameron Pond or in The Reserve, maybe.

Highcroft is a possibility... you may only find that on very small lots or lots near the highway.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM

137 posts, read 306,443 times
Cary Park, Cameron Pond & Highcroft

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Oh. You want to be able to walk around your house without clinging to the sides to avoid trespassing on the neighbors?
Resales changes the game.

Wellsley

The Reserve, and you would be at the low end, if you find something.
South end of Highcroft has nicer lots.
And both of those abut Sears Farm Road Park, which is lovely.
Cary NC : Sears Farm Road Park - a set on Flickr

Carpenter Village, walk to the library or to the pond, some trails.

Maybe Cameron Pond, but choose location wisely in the neighborhood.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:55 AM

I love the look of Carpenter Village, but it seems the houses go up and are gone within a few days..I am going to have to stay on top of those listings!

From what I read, Cameron Pond is built closer to the highway (540?) and the power lines are near the pool, so I am going to stay away from that subdivision, but the homes are definitely beautiful.

I have been waiting for a listing to come up in Wellsley. Is The Reserve simply called that? I can't seem to find it when I search by name (Realtor gave me a MLS search tool). Definitely will check out Highcroft.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
I love the look of Carpenter Village, but it seems the houses go up and are gone within a few days..I am going to have to stay on top of those listings!

From what I read, Cameron Pond is built closer to the highway (540?) and the power lines are near the pool, so I am going to stay away from that subdivision, but the homes are definitely beautiful.

I have been waiting for a listing to come up in Wellsley. Is The Reserve simply called that? I can't seem to find it when I search by name (Realtor gave me a MLS search tool). Definitely will check out Highcroft.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it!

You could do fine on the far side of Cameron Pond... it's quite large. That side is away from the power lines... unless you really want to use that pool and the power lines put you off it.

Wellsley is quite popular. The Reserve is indeed called The Reserve. It's right off 55 and you can drive through it and wind up in Highcroft. They butt up against each other.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 AM

171 posts, read 319,052 times
Wellsley listings often go contingent the day they hit MLS (if not before). We literally stalked the house we live in now by driving through the neighborhood, seeing the For Sale sign before it hit MLS, calling our agent who set up the showing, and making an offer all before the MLS was updated. It was "contingent" with our accepted offer the day it hit MLS. If you're successful getting something you could get in around 400K and do upgrades which is what we did (kitchen, refinished the wood floors, upgraded all the fixtures from brass to brushed nickel, etc.). We absolutely love it here .

Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Have your Realtor set you up for "automatic notification".

That way, as soon as a home with your criteria pops up, you'll be notified.

Had to do that for a client that wanted to be in the Apex area, under $250,000. We kept losing houses as they went under contract the first day.

Plus, she lived nearby, so she stalked the n'hood to see if a sign appeared first! It was a fun game!!! I won since the listing hit the MLS before the sign went into the yard!!!

We got the house but we had to pay FULL PRICE as there was another offer...7 showings on day 1. I HATE paying full price for ANYTHING!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary