Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times

Advertisements

Interesting news story. I wonder what impact this will have on traffic?

RTP Shortcuts Could Close Upon Triangle Parkway's Arrival :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,001 times
If the impact is anything like the opening of NC 540 earlier this year, it will be a negative impact. I hope not, but after seeing years of crazy decisions by the DOT, it is hard to expect anything but another screw-up.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 AM

842 posts, read 3,230,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
If the impact is anything like the opening of NC 540 earlier this year, it will be a negative impact. I hope not, but after seeing years of crazy decisions by the DOT, it is hard to expect anything but another screw-up.
Years of crazy decisions? I agree that the entrance ramp from I-540 to I-40 should have been two lanes, but what other 'crazy' decisions have they made?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Interesting news story. I wonder what impact this will have on traffic?

RTP Shortcuts Could Close Upon Triangle Parkway's Arrival :: WRAL.com
The removal of the T.W. Alexander and NC-147 intersection is a no-brainer. That's obviously a temporary tie-in to an incomplete expressway. The vast majority of people using that intersection are commuters coming from NC-55, and those people will be taking I-540 to the Triangle Parkway instead.

The removal of the Davis Drive exit is more problematic in my opinion. However, there are already exits to NC-54 and NC-55, and the Triangle Parkway is going to have an exit to Davis Drive. So it's really only going to affect people who are currently right next to the Davis Drive exit (i.e. Cisco employees).

Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
Hm, I don't like this at all, because I use the TW Alexander one when I come from Hillsborough or any other points in North Durham. I wonder what it will be replaced with servicing those areas? Or would North Durham and Hillsborough people have to go south and go back up north?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBaby View Post
So it's really only going to affect people who are currently right next to the Davis Drive exit (i.e. Cisco employees).
Or Sony Ericsson employees, or Ericsson employees, or pretty much any employee of any company on Davis drive, which just happens to be the major artery through the south end of RTP.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
I think the Davis exit is being nixed to make sure that commuters going to the Southern part of RTP pay the toll that will be at the intersection of 540 & the Triangle Expressway. Call me cynical but I'll almost bet the farm on that one. The choice for those who don't want to pay the toll (coming from North Raleigh) will be exiting on the previous exit (NC54) and winding ones way through Hobson and back to Davis Drive. I imagine the time to do that will more than offset the 50 cents (or whatever price) in the minds of most commuters.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Or Sony Ericsson employees, or Ericsson employees, or pretty much any employee of any company on Davis drive, which just happens to be the major artery through the south end of RTP.
Exactly! I don't get it? RTP traffic is bad enough 5-6 pm.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:44 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
This article does a very poor job describing the exact changes.

The 147/TW Alexander intersection has been there for about 20 years now. Unless I'm missing something in the description. Not sure why they paint that one as temporary. 540 has nothing at all to do with that one.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Hm, I don't like this at all, because I use the TW Alexander one when I come from Hillsborough or any other points in North Durham. I wonder what it will be replaced with servicing those areas? Or would North Durham and Hillsborough people have to go south and go back up north?
I think you misunderstand. They're not removing the T.W. Alexander exit on NC-147 (the next exit north from Cornwallis). They're removing the portion of NC-147 that dumps all the traffic onto T.W. Alexander south of I-40. This portion of the highway is OBVIOUSLY temporary. Coming from the north, NC-147 makes a hard turn to the right to dump out traffic, since the rest of the highway wasn't built. And given the number of access points to area roads that are going to already be in that general area, it doesn't make sense to keep an entrance ramp there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary