Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:33 PM

40 posts, read 42,182 times

Advertisements

So many good suggestions and advice.

My wife and I visited the area Saturday and we really, really enjoyed it. It can be a bit overwhelming to cram everything into a day...but it was worth it. We found some areas that appealed to us and now can narrow down our search for housing.

Thanks to some people here we limited our search for a few developments within Cary and we were able to check them out.

Also, thanks to recommendations here we had an awesome lunch at Lucky 32. I suggest it for anyone traveling to the area. Really good local restaurant.

We also met some friends at Natty Greene's. It was their recommendation (they live in Southern Pines). Great food and cheap drinks...but it was St. Patrick's Day weekend so it was a bit loud.

After that we went to Flying Saucer Draught Emporium. REALLY cool place with a ton of craft beer selections.

All in all - the trip was well worth it, and I can't wait to come back down to check out some more.

My wife seemed to prefer Apex to Cary, but I liked Cary. She wasn't really into downtown Cary, but I felt there was so much more around.

Decisions, decisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:38 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyDad View Post
My wife seemed to prefer Apex to Cary, but I liked Cary. She wasn't really into downtown Cary, but I felt there was so much more around.

Decisions, decisions...
Glad you had a good trip, but don't bother quibbling over a minor geographical distinction if/when you move here.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
I LOVE downtown Apex, but I definitely prefer Cary to Apex. Apex seems like nothing but subdivisions while Cary just seems to have more to do.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I LOVE downtown Apex, but I definitely prefer Cary to Apex. Apex seems like nothing but subdivisions while Cary just seems to have more to do.

Yes. I agree. DT Apex is small, but cute. DT Cary is rather dull. They will likely be working on it as time goes by with the big plans for the DT area in Cary, though.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Whether you choose Apex or Cary, you're mere moments away from the other. In some areas, they really blend together. Like twingles said, don't get too hung up on the geographical distinction, because there really isn't much. You'll likely be just as happy in one as the other.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Whether you choose Apex or Cary, you're mere moments away from the other. In some areas, they really blend together. Like twingles said, don't get too hung up on the geographical distinction, because there really isn't much. You'll likely be just as happy in one as the other.

Yup. I can go from DT Cary to DT Apex in under 15 minutes. No problem.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Glad you had a nice and productive visit.

Apex and Cary aren't that far apart so it's not a HUGE jump at all. Apex has Anna's Pizza which is the best pizza I've found in the area. It's a bit small (corner shop) but has outside tables and great staff. There used to be a frozen yogurt shop right down the street but when we visited in 2010 the owners had a sign up that they were selling the place. I don't know if it's still there, but they had great "old time" frozen yogurt. The shop even had ice cream painted on the walls.

I'm sure someone has mentioned that some people consider Cary to be "Containment Area for Relocating Yankees" I heard that my first night in Raleigh from a couple at the laundromat (my appliances hadn't been delivered to my apartment yet). I haven't found there to be much difference between any of the local areas simply because there are so many non-native people here. I have met about FOUR people who actually hail from NC in the past four years. It doesn't make a difference for me. I don't judge people based on their state of origin.

Good luck in what you two decide and don't forget sun screen! ;-)

Old 03-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Glad you had a nice and productive visit.

Apex and Cary aren't that far apart so it's not a HUGE jump at all. Apex has Anna's Pizza which is the best pizza I've found in the area. It's a bit small (corner shop) but has outside tables and great staff. There used to be a frozen yogurt shop right down the street but when we visited in 2010 the owners had a sign up that they were selling the place. I don't know if it's still there, but they had great "old time" frozen yogurt. The shop even had ice cream painted on the walls.

I'm sure someone has mentioned that some people consider Cary to be "Containment Area for Relocating Yankees" I heard that my first night in Raleigh from a couple at the laundromat (my appliances hadn't been delivered to my apartment yet). I haven't found there to be much difference between any of the local areas simply because there are so many non-native people here. I have met about FOUR people who actually hail from NC in the past four years. It doesn't make a difference for me. I don't judge people based on their state of origin.

Good luck in what you two decide and don't forget sun screen! ;-)

Generally speaking, if you choose a place around here that has more transplants (think "neighborhood") you are more likely to meet transplants.

If you choose an area that doesn't attract as many transplants, you'll meet more locals.

Sooo.... you would probably meet more locals in Fuquay-Varina or Wendell than you would in Cary or Apex, but you might meet more locals in one neighborhood in Cary than you would in another.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:56 PM

32 posts, read 43,373 times
We live in Cary but love downtown Apex. The drive is less than 15 minutes. Its not an either/or sort of situation.
Of course, our favorite place in the Triangle is downtown Durham, and that drive for a nice dinner isn't too bad either!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Generally speaking, if you choose a place around here that has more transplants (think "neighborhood") you are more likely to meet transplants.

If you choose an area that doesn't attract as many transplants, you'll meet more locals.

Sooo.... you would probably meet more locals in Fuquay-Varina or Wendell than you would in Cary or Apex, but you might meet more locals in one neighborhood in Cary than you would in another.

That's true, but I had never been here before moving here. Well, I came for a visit but it snowed that weekend so I didn't get a chance to really explore much.

We rented in Brier Creek for a few months prior to buy in Apex. In hindsight, I should have spent more time exploring the area. I think we were all just burnt out from the move and looking at houses every weekend.

Apex is nice for the most part and I don't mind living near other "transplants" (I didn't intend to imply that) and wouldn't mind living near more natives. I generally like most people so I think it would be fine either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary