Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 AM

53 posts, read 215,617 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a Pharmacy Summer Camp for my rising Junior who has expressed an interest in Pharmacy. I have searched the web and found some out of state camps, but I would like to find one that's fairly close. Does anyone have any knowledge of any such camps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 08:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I don't, but you might nose around the UNC School of Pharmacy website and see if you can find some info.

https://pharmacy.unc.edu

I didn't know there were such things!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM

169 posts, read 574,847 times
The UNC Pharmacy school has one-day events for high school students. Unfortunately, they only have one more session this spring and it's in Asheville, but that may be worth the drive.
https://pharmacy.unc.edu/news/events/lead-program

The only summer camp in NC I found was at Campbell University and their registration is already closed. Plus, it is only a day camp - not overnight. But it may be something to consider for summer 2015.
CAMP Summer Day Program | Calendar | College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences

Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Ever give any thought to having your child investigate summer internships at one of the local pharmaceutical companies? I don't know if they offer them to High School students but it might be even better than a Summer program. And before anyone throws cold water on the idea, I know of plenty of teenagers who wound up with awesome opportunities simply by asking where others wouldn't dare. Y'know, nothing ventured nothing gained? I'd have him/her launch an email and letter writing campaign to all of the local companies.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut04257 View Post
I am looking for a Pharmacy Summer Camp for my rising Junior who has expressed an interest in Pharmacy.
If she continues an interest, I recommend that she get a job in a local pharmacy. One of my daughter's did, and the interaction with the public convinced her to go into another area of the medical field.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 AM

53 posts, read 215,617 times
Thank you all for the suggestions!!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If she continues an interest, I recommend that she get a job in a local pharmacy. One of my daughter's did, and the interaction with the public convinced her to go into another area of the medical field.
I wouldn't necessarily let an experience at retail pharmacy rule out getting a pharmacy degree. It can be used for many things including drug research, education, and many other career paths. Liking Chemistry would definitely help though

Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graha321 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily let an experience at retail pharmacy rule out getting a pharmacy degree. It can be used for many things including drug research, education, and many other career paths. Liking Chemistry would definitely help though
Yes, I went through all of that with her, but she decided her interest in pharmacology was not as strong as she earlier thought. Overall, working in a retail pharmacy was a positive experience for her, despite the actions of a small minority of the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: