Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Which is my point! I want to clarify the drawers. These were built ins. One was in a huge MBR closet which had built in pull out drawers and we were very serious at the time for the house, so the realtor said to open them to see how large and deep they were. One of them had a gun. In the other scenario, it was kitchen drawers and in the kitchen there was a built in desk and again, realtor encouraged us to open the drawers to see how operational they were and there was a hand gun in the desk drawer.

It always struck me that except for one person, none of my children's friends asked if we had a weapon in our home knowing my husband's profession. I have asked this question before, esp to kids of cops, fire lieutenants, court officer and correction officer (yup, very blue collar here). I didn't care if I offended anyone. That isn't my intention but my kids' safety comes first if I KNOW your job requires you to have a weapon. That being said, I knew a boy in my old neighborhood shot his brains out with his stepfathers gun at 17 and a patient of mine once did the same thing with her fathers gun as well.

I am not disputing that people have guns here, but it isn't talked about or kept in a closet, usually. When looking down there, we saw several rifles in closets in several homes. So I was just wondering.
I have a sweet little .22 single shot rifle, c. 1939, in the closet. But you would have to dig to find it.

Coming from Pennsylvania, where over 1,000,000 hunters armed with high powered rifles and in various versions of sobriety take to the woods each year on the Monday after Thanksgiving, I am accustomed to seeing guns openly displayed. Actually, I see less of it here in comparison.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
I think Realtors / real estate agents should arm themselves when showing homes to prevent snooping and to show prospective buyers (especially you out-of staters) that we here mean business. Now, get out of my drawers!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
i think realtors / real estate agents should arm themselves when showing homes to prevent snooping and to show prospective buyers (especially you out-of staters) that we here mean business. Now, get out of my drawers!

lmao!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
I have read this thread with interest and wondered if you could answer a few questions for an out of stater - well an out of USAer actually
We are all pretty scared of guns here in the UK and nobody has them and we never see them. However I have 3 boys who are VERY interested in toy guns and I presume would be attracted to real ones. I will try to educate them but they are very clueless about guns my 9 year old walked up to a policeman in Florida last year and asked him if his gun was real I would be very nervous of them visiting a house where there were guns that were not securely locked away and impossible for a child to get access to. Presumably most parents in the US think the same as me. Would gun owners be offended/irritated/upset if I asked them where they kept their guns before my kids visited? I'd rather ask you guys than make a huge error in real life Thanks in advance

Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Presumably most parents in the US think the same as me. Would gun owners be offended/irritated/upset if I asked them where they kept their guns before my kids visited?
I don't think so. BUT, to be on the safe side, let your son have a nerf gun and teach him to treat it as a real gun. Also teach him how to react if anyone even points a toy gun at him.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
BUT, to be on the safe side, let your son have a nerf gun and teach him to treat it as a real gun. Also teach him how to react if anyone even points a toy gun at him.
I'm having a hard time understanding what this would do in terms of gun education for small children.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:12 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what this would do in terms of gun education for small children.
Odd, I thought it was clear.

Nerf gun = toy gun. Teach safety with a toy instead of a real gun. Teach kid how to react if someone points a toy gun at them instead of using a real gun. :shrug:

Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Give him a Nerf gun and tell him he can't shoot anybody with it? What fun is that?

Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
We have nerf guns in our house but I do know lots of parents who don't allow them.

Do you teach your kids gun safety with toy guns? What do you tell kids to do if someone points a gun at them?

I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I have purchased 2 resale homes in the Triangle area over the past 7 years.

Neither of them had guns in the kitchen drawers or in any built-ins that I might have opened to inspect their quality. None of the dozens of other homes I looked at had guns in them that were visible by opening built-in cabinets to inspect their quality. I do recall being in a FSBO with the owners who showed us their panic room and it had a massive gun safe, but that thing was closed and locked.

Granted, this was in Cary and not Wake Forest, but I'm sure there are plenty who own guns in Cary, too.

Maybe I just got lucky. No idea.

I don't think that responsible gun owners would leave guns (loaded or not) anywhere but in a gun safe.

I used to own a couple of handguns, but I got rid of them. I will tell you that when I did own one, my eldest son was in elementary school and he DID shoot it (with me holding his hands) just so he could feel the recoil and hear how loud it would be without ear protection. He only had to do this once, and his fascination with guns was pretty much over.

Still... they were in the safe, unloaded when I was at home. In fact, they were in the safe, unloaded, unless I wanted to target practice, because I had a CCW permit, but hated carrying a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary