Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 PM

25 posts, read 33,033 times

Advertisements

We decided on a rental that has Apex HS as out base school. I see it is capped for next year and I am trying to figure out what that means exactly. Our lease starts April 10 and my husband will go and register my daughters Friday, April 11. Just wondering how soon we would know whether or not they can go there or we have to go to a different school. The lady I spoke to at Apex HS said it looked like Green Hope would be the overflow school, but we would not want our girls there. I know it is a great school, but sounds like my daughters might not fit in so well there and their running program while strong, would not give them many options to participate in the level they are use to. My daughters are nervous enough about the move and I want to make sure they are in a school they would feel comfortable at and not out of place. If we want to apply for a change how long before we hear on that? Thanks for any insight you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 05:58 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I can't remember what the capped date is, but it is sometime in April. You might be cutting it close. If you are in your rental by the capped date, you will be guaranteed a spot at Apex HS.

I would not count on a transfer. Do you know what school you'd be wanting a transfer to?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM

I would prefer Panther Creek over Green Hope but would be open to others. Just didn't know which other HS's would be the closest.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deveno7 View Post
We decided on a rental that has Apex HS as out base school. I see it is capped for next year and I am trying to figure out what that means exactly. Our lease starts April 10 and my husband will go and register my daughters Friday, April 11. Just wondering how soon we would know whether or not they can go there or we have to go to a different school. The lady I spoke to at Apex HS said it looked like Green Hope would be the overflow school, but we would not want our girls there. I know it is a great school, but sounds like my daughters might not fit in so well there and their running program while strong, would not give them many options to participate in the level they are use to. My daughters are nervous enough about the move and I want to make sure they are in a school they would feel comfortable at and not out of place. If we want to apply for a change how long before we hear on that? Thanks for any insight you might have.
I hope you get in at Apex HS before the cutoff date.

If you don't, I would find it unlikely that they'd give you a transfer away from Green Hope.

Also, I think that if your kids did wind up at Green Hope, you wouldn't be as disappointed as you think you would be. I have had 2 kids attend Green Hope so far... one was AG and the other struggled a bit with reading when he was younger and he's still got an IEP in place (just for testing... I've insisted upon him keeping his extra time). Both kids did/are doing fine there and found it to be a very welcoming place. There really don't seem to be cliques that are exclusionary to the point that a kid would feel completely left out. I know that's not the case at all schools, but Green Hope, for all the reputation as a school populated by wealthy kids, really does seem to be very accepting.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I would prefer Panther Creek over Green Hope but would be open to others. Just didn't know which other HS's would be the closest.
That is very interesting. Panther Creek seems like it would be harder to get into, with western Wake expanding so rapidly.

Where are you located right now?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM

We are moving from Illinois. Good to hear another view of Green Hope. I have heard that is was very unwelcoming and very affluent. We are upper middle class, but no way will our kids be driving Beemers to school and don't want them to feel out of place or not included. What is this magic cut off day?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
We are moving from Illinois. Good to hear another view of Green Hope. I have heard that is was very unwelcoming and very affluent. We are upper middle class, but no way will our kids be driving Beemers to school and don't want them to feel out of place or not included. What is this magic cut off day?
Not sure. I never have tried to shift any of mine around.

There are just as many BMWs at Apex and Panther Creek. You're moving to a pretty affluent area.

My eldest drove a lifted old pickup truck to school when he was at GH during senior year. He did fine. LOL.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Your kids will not feel out of place because of the car they drive (and honestly, I live less than a mile from GHHS, and I don't see a lot of BMWs around here). The "affluence" down here is very different than it is in bigger cities (New York, Chicago). When I see high school students driving around my neighborhood, they're either driving their parent's car (because I assume they wouldn't drive a car with those family stick figure people on the back window unless they had no choice) or they're driving a jeep or a honda.

While GHHS may have a reputation for being very affluent, Panther Creek draws from the same types of neighborhoods, and will likely have the same reputation in a few years (it's newer than GHHS). Panther Creek is also crazy crowded. Not only are they encouraged to leave campus for lunch, because there isn't enough room for everyone, most freshmen don't even get lockers (there aren't enough) and have to carry everything with them from class to class.

You also mentioned that your girls run, and I thought that GHHS had a really strong running program. I'm pretty sure that GHHS Girls' Cross Country holds the current State Championship title.

Disclaimer: My oldest is still in middle school, so I haven't dealt with high school yet. But my neighborhood basically backs up to GHHS and I see the high school students all over the place (in fact, I usually see the track team running on the greenway behind my house when I'm working from home).

Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
I don't think you should be concerned about the Beemer thing at all. As Redzin mentioned all three schools have similar populations and they are all good schools. I don't know where you are moving from in Illinois but I moved from the Chicago suburbs and I think this area is a LOT less status conscious than where I used to live.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:17 PM

This makes me feel better! Thanks! So hard moving to an area and not knowing how things really are. Green Hope does have the best girls cross country team, my only concern while my girls are the best from where we come from, at Green Hope they will be in the middle. As I think about it, it is what it is, and while it might not be what we would want for them, it might be exactly what they need. I guess I need I relax and just me happy they have two great school options. Why is it that Green Hope is not full like Panther Creek and Apex? Our rental house is located on Brittany Point Court which is near Baucam elementary school, which HS is that the closest too? Does anyone know if Green Hope is far away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary