Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,448 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We recently moved from New Jersey and are seriously considering buying a home in Fuquay Varina. Most of my husband's collegues who moved here bought in Cary, Apex and Holly Springs. We are an interracial couple with 3 children and I was hoping that someone can give advise or opinions about Fuquay Varina. Any feedback will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 AM

134 posts, read 549,400 times
I would be interested in knowing what you find out. We are considering Fuquay as well. We are doing our best to research, but still need more info on taxes and schools. We like the fact that it is farily close to Raleigh (we are used to the amenities that a bigger city provides) but far enough away that you dont end up in the "rat race".

We are hoping to find a decent city, that is clean, and had good neighbors that may have some education.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,816 times
My wife, my baby and I moved to Fuquay-Varina from SF earlier this year and we absolutely love it. Sure, there was a lot of adjustments - considering a major job change for me, the relatively recent addition to our family, and leaving all of our friends. However, we've been very excited to explore surrounding areas, settle down, and live a nice slow-paced life - quite a contrast to our lives in the SF Bay Area. We moved into the brand new Park Grove community (KB Home) just north of the Fuquay-Varina downtown area on Hwy 55, and we've been extremely pleased with how nice and warm everyone here is. Fuquay-Varina is a combination of an older downtown area and a newer emerging area. There's lots of plans for future development, however we're already very happy with the town as it is. From our house we can get to the airport in 25-30 minutes, to Cary TownCenter Mall area in 10-15 minutes, and to downtown Raleigh/NCSU/Glenwood areas in 20-25 minutes. Honestly I don't know much about traffic since I work from home and travel odd hours, but I do see major roads being expanded and developed (like hwy 1 and the 540 outer beltline coming in 5-6 years I guess). RE schools: I can only go by what I've heard from neighbors, which seems positive. We believe in this area's growth potential very much and have begun purchasing investment property here. Feel free to hit me up for any specific questions. Come on down!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:49 PM

19 posts, read 56,712 times
Hi,
We are hoping to be moving to the Raleigh area late this summer and are really interested in Fuquay and the Park Grove community. Can you tell me about the size of the lots? Also, are there many houses already built and for sale or mostly lots ready for building?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:13 AM

927 posts, read 1,458,323 times
... one thing to consider ...
Rush Hour Drive Time ....

We live in Holly Springs and my wife works in Morrisville (near Durham) and it tends to take her about 45 minutes to get to work ...

When factoring in where to live consider the fact that a 20 minute drive may take twice as long in rush hour and in the rain ...

Old 01-06-2007, 08:18 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
I live in Fuquay Varina as well and love it! The schools are good from what I hear. Fuquay has two really nice downtowns....Fuquay and Varina. And of course the newer sections. We are close to everything. We are within 30 minutes of everything in the triangle. So there is plenty to do, sports and shopping if that is what you like. We are also 2 hours from the beach.

Traffic is tough all over the triangle. Rush hour is bad no matter where you live. Even in Fuquay it is starting to get clogged around 5pm. This is a very nice town though. Holly springs as well.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:36 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times
Default South Wake County

Hi, Folks,
I love the Fuquay and Holly Springs areas. They are growing because the towns closer to Research Triangle Park (RTP), Cary and Apex, have gotten kind of pricey. Two of the main roads leading to Raleigh ( Hwy 1) and to RTP and Durham (Hwy 55) are being widened and it is much easier to go to and from the area. Hwy 401 is another main road from FV to Raleigh. There are other routes, but they are minor roads. In a few years our I-540 beltline will be completed through south Wake County and then the prices in FV and Holly Springs will be much higher.
Fuquay or FV (for short) and Holly Springs are charming small towns. Holly Springs is growing a bit faster and has the (currently) higher rated schools, but both have very good schools. There is a new Novartis (pharmaceuticals) plant going in in the Holly Springs area. It is a clean industry and is going to bring some high paying jobs to the area. I just sold a house in Park Grove and have shown it a number of times. It is in FV, but on the edge of Holly Springs. The lots are small, but not unusually so for new construction now. There are a number of other very nice communities in the area. Some are in the same price range. For more information, specific descriptions, pictures, etc please PM me as it could get too lengthy for this forum.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
My parents were looking out there and it was brought to my attention that the taxes are less in Fuquay vs. Cary and if you are on septic you do not have the sewer bill. Seems like many homes out there are on septic. This can really reduce your monthly expenses.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Traffic is tough all over the triangle. Rush hour is bad no matter where you live. Even in Fuquay it is starting to get clogged around 5pm. This is a very nice town though. Holly springs as well.
Hmmm... I'm not 100% sure I'd agree with the statement that traffic is bad everywhere in the Triangle. My wife and I live in the Trinity Park neighborhood of Durham; last summer, she was commuting to work alternating between RTP and downtown Raleigh. As you'd expect, RTP was fast -- 15 minutes door to door. However, even at "rush hour," she rarely saw any slowdown and was able to be at the full 60-65 MPH speed limit all the way to Raleigh.

Wake's "bigness" (360,000 people in Raleigh vs. 200,000 in Durham) does provide a bit of a reverse commute that can work well for folks in Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough, etc. I know folks who live in Mebane for a small-town-style lifestyle and then commute I-85/I-40 to RTP in under 35 minutes.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I don't know, seems to me like traffic is ever so slowly getting worse evrywhere in the triangle. If it isn't bad now where you live, most likely people will eventually flock to that area over the next few years to the point that traffic there will become equally as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary