Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times

Advertisements

I grew up in West Palm Beach in the 60s, and it was a great place for that at the time. The longer I lived there, the worse it got, and today there's no way I could live there again. Aside from the heat, the traffic and the bugs, it long ago lost that community feeling that's so evident here. Really feels like a dog-eat-dog place where everybody seems to be running some kind of scam. The closest thing we have to Boca here is Cary, and to a lesser degree, some of the housing projects like Heritage and Wakefield. I'd still take them over their SoFla counterpart any day. I love to see the seasons change, to have neighbors I actually know and trust, and to have access to both mountains and seashore (although I admit it takes a bit of driving to either one). The only real drawback to this area is the increasing traffic and lack of public transportation, but we still have south Florida beat in both of those categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 PM

610 posts, read 746,459 times
I moved up here a year ago from Fort Lauderdale, where I lived from 1981 until last year. This place reminds me of S. Florida (minus the Jewish and Cuban populations) of that time frame, before it got crazy. S Florida then was just starting to explode in growth.

There are a lot of differences - like the weather! Hills. vs. flatlands. Beach is further away (a few hours) if you're a beach person - not 20 minutes like down there.

Can't get a good brisket here (low Jewish population) and good delis are scarce. I miss that.

I can't address the activity level as I wasn't the partying type even when younger.

There are many more days when it's great to be outside. Florida - not so much, unless you liked broiling at the beach. Here - it's pleasant for most of the year and one can be outside in parks, taking a walk, etc. I'm outside much more up here.

People are friendlier here, and much more polite.

Good luck with your choice. I don't miss Fort Lauderdale ONE bit. I miss some people and of course, I miss the quick drive to Disney, but I love this place.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 AM

423 posts, read 1,095,011 times
Doesn't Frank Costanza live in Boca?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfaO3A-m13Q .

Last edited by mocharoman; 04-11-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 07:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
The biggest difference to me (grew up in Coral Springs, moved here in my 20's) is the friendliness of the people in Raleigh, the driving (drivers is SoFL are horrible!!!) and the community oriented feel of everything. I just love living here and would never go back to the high crime and snootiness of Florida. I do miss the beaches, though, and drool over all my Facebook friends beach photos in February when I'm still freezing and the sun hasn't come out yet.

I had a hard time adjusting to the seasons. I don't like gray and overcast (November-February), but I have actually adjusted and prefer the trade off of getting seasons in exchange for more gray skies than in SoFL. Also, adjusting to how nice everyone is, the openness and friendliness of people here took time. And I love it. I've become a nicer person for living around such nice people. :-)

Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I don't like gray and overcast (November-February)
Actually I find most winters here to be cold, yes, but also bright and beautifully sunny. The dark, overcast, gray winter day is a rarity in my memory of the last 17 winters I've spent here. This past winter was particularly horrible, but usually they are at least sunny and beautiful to look at from a warm chair.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Actually I find most winters here to be cold, yes, but also bright and beautifully sunny. The dark, overcast, gray winter day is a rarity in my memory of the last 17 winters I've spent here. This past winter was particularly horrible, but usually they are at least sunny and beautiful to look at from a warm chair.
Yes, it is sunnier than many other states north of Florida. Even in Houston, where we lived for a year, it is much cloudier there than here. But NC winter really can't compare to the year round sunshine and the afternoon thunderstorms that last an hour and then clear to blue skies again that you have in South Florida. I really loved the subtropical climate there. But then, we didn't have the amazing shock of pink, purple, yellow and white blossoms on all the trees and bushes. I had never seen spring until I was 23. Spring is amazing. So is fall. I wouldn't trade them if I had to choose even with the gray.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Yes, it is sunnier than many other states north of Florida. Even in Houston, where we lived for a year, it is much cloudier there than here. But NC winter really can't compare to the year round sunshine and the afternoon thunderstorms that last an hour and then clear to blue skies again that you have in South Florida. I really loved the subtropical climate there. But then, we didn't have the amazing shock of pink, purple, yellow and white blossoms on all the trees and bushes. I had never seen spring until I was 23. Spring is amazing. So is fall. I wouldn't trade them if I had to choose even with the gray.
I agree with you 100%. Plus the nice people and relatively easy going traffic and way of life. Stress levels here are magnitudes lower than S FL. I wouldn't move there for $1M/year for life.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 AM

I remember when my husband came down to Fl to meet my family when we were dating and he was signaling to get over on 95 and expecting people to let him in. I yelled at him that he was going to get us killed! Turn off the signal and jump in there when you see a spot! If you signal in SoFL people speed up so you can't get over. lol! Here people smile and wave you in. :-) I am seeing a bit more aggressive driving here in recent years but for the most part it's very friendly.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM

23 posts, read 31,491 times
Thanks so much for all your comments! This makes me so excited about our move later this year. I was hoping for a change of pace from things down here and now I'm even more convinced that this move is perfectly for our family.

My in-laws will still be living in Boca so we can get the beach and Cuban food when we come back for visits!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla_diyer View Post
Thanks so much for all your comments! This makes me so excited about our move later this year. I was hoping for a change of pace from things down here and now I'm even more convinced that this move is perfectly for our family.

My in-laws will still be living in Boca so we can get the beach and Cuban food when we come back for visits!
That's really the best way to go about it. Everyone should have family in Florida. Lol! I still have my parents and sister there and it really is nice to be able to visit. Although, disney tickets are much more expensive if you're not a resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary