Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times

Advertisements

I know this goes back to the first page of the thread, when this post was moved here, but do most people consider JoCo to be part of the Triangle? I've always thought of the Triangle as Durham, Orange, and Wake. But I'm not sure there is an official definition, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Without disputing anything in your post, there is another side of this coin. I've heard people make disparaging remarks about minorities to me (a White Male American) that they would never say in the presence of those minority people.

What is the appropriate response? It depends on the person and context. When the bigot was a friend I made a gentle reproach. If the bigot was my boss (this actually happened) I just let it pass.

I agree that that happens. As to how to best approach it is probably outside the scope of this discussion. But I think my point is as non-minority outsiders if overt racism exists in Johnston County, we'd probably not realize it just by visiting there, unless i's very out in the open like people marching in a parade with sheets on their heads. Minority outsiders might be more tuned in if they visit there and feel unwelcome/have bad experiences there.

And while non-minority citizens of JC would obviously have a better idea of whether there is racism or not if they hear disparaging remarks on a regular basis, there are some things that are overlooked as being racist if you are not the race/religion/group being made fun of (and this goes for black, white, Asian, Muslim, etc). For example, it used to be quite acceptable for people to say, "let's Jew them down" meaning talk the price down. I'm sure there are many people today who wouldn't bat an eyelash at that expression or even realize it's racist. "It's just an expression; I didn't mean anything by it." But it would sting most Jews if they heard it. So while a white male may hear things that would not be said in the presence of a minority. He may also hear things and not realize they are racist.

So how does this related to Johnston County and the original question about tell me everything. And that everything includes the history of KKK. So is there still racism there?

Non-minority outsiders may say, "No. There hasn't been a KKK rally in years! It's much better now."
Non-minority county residents may say, "Demographics are changing. More outsiders are moving in. It's growing. It's different now."

Minority outsiders might say, "I'm not comfortable visiting there because of its past."

But unless we hear from the minority residents, I wouldn't be convinced.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Without disputing anything in your post, there is another side of this coin. I've heard people make disparaging remarks about minorities to me (a White Male American) that they would never say in the presence of those minority people.
That happens in Boston, too, but I suspect that the minorities in question can pick up on the hostility even if it isn't expressed blatantly. I (a white man) might visit a store 20 times and have no idea that the woman behind the counter was racist until one day she makes a crack about a black customer who just left. The actual black person, though, is probably aware that he's getting the cold shoulder from this woman every time he's in the store, even if she never says anything hostile to him.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Another good point to bring up is that unless you are a minority, it is often hard to tell if racism exists. When I was working in DC I remember once talking to a good friend of mine who is a male Asian. A few of us were going camping in the mountains in Virginia and I mentioned the possibility of stopping in a small town nearby one afternoon and I mentioned that I love visiting small towns. He got really upset with me and said, "Yeah, well for you it's easy, you're white and female." Have you ever tried going into those small towns as an Asian male? People stare at me, follow me around, have said things to me, etc. I've had too many uncomfortable experiences in small towns. No way am I going to XXX." I was flabbergasted, truly. I was naive and had no idea. This is a guy who has literally lived all over the world - Ukaraine, NYC, Israel, Thailand, among other places, was in the Peace Corps, and has had many worldly experiences. So I know he wasn't just being overly sensitive.

So while I'm not saying anything specifically about Clayton - I've only been there a few times - I think unless we ourselves are a minority, it's hard to really know if any overt racism exists in a place.
Exactly. I saw things much differently after being married for many years to an Asian male, that's for sure. Even here in my home state.

Don't get me started on traveling further south with him. Let's just say that I was the one to go inside gas stations and conduct business. I was a white, Southern female. I was treated like family. If you're anything but, you just don't know what to expect. Could be just fine. Could be the opposite.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:

What is the appropriate response? It depends on the person and context. When the bigot was a friend I made a gentle reproach. If the bigot was my boss (this actually happened) I just let it pass.

Yeah... that's another tough one. I had a member of my own family tell me that they didn't know how they'd react to being related to a "half-yellow" child when I was pregnant. I mean, it was said jokingly... sort of. I wasn't amused.

It was upsetting at the time, but the funny part now is that that same family member thinks that little "half-yellow" kid hung the moon.

I guess it was good in that respect.

I will never be able to comprehend holding a persons race or ethnicity against them. There are so many other reasons to find a person intolerable that have zero to do with something that they have no control over whatsoever.

Like, for example, if that person is just a jerk.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
That's something I really noticed up north. It's like they assume since you're white they can just let it fly. I unfortunately grew up in a New Jersey town that is every bit as racist as the worst here - people were shocked when I spoke up. Have dumped quite a few Facebook friends over it - people I hadn't seen for many years who have not evolved.
Oh, Norasmom!

When I lived in Chicago, I was amazed at how racist some people were. I mean, I'd grown up here in the South hearing about how the South was full of all these racists who never got over the Civil War and now NOBODY anyplace else was so "backward."

Man... was that wrong. Racism is everywhere. But, I think it's slowly going the way of the dinosaurs. Which makes me happy. It's slow, but it's happening.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I know this goes back to the first page of the thread, when this post was moved here, but do most people consider JoCo to be part of the Triangle? I've always thought of the Triangle as Durham, Orange, and Wake. But I'm not sure there is an official definition, is there?
Yeah... it's part of the Triangle. On the fringes, but it's still a part. Especially since Clayton became a relocator's paradise, of a sort.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... it's part of the Triangle. On the fringes, but it's still a part. Especially since Clayton became a relocator's paradise, of a sort.
Obviously I know you consider it to be part of the Triangle, since you moved the post to this forum. I was just wondering if most people also did. I never thought about it much, but I always kind of thought it was just the three counties I previously mentioned. This made me wonder if there is a more official geographical definition of what constitutes "the triangle" or if it's just everyone's individual opinions. I googled it, but didn't see much.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
Obviously I know you consider it to be part of the Triangle, since you moved the post to this forum. I was just wondering if most people also did. I never thought about it much, but I always kind of thought it was just the three counties I previously mentioned. This made me wonder if there is a more official geographical definition of what constitutes "the triangle" or if it's just everyone's individual opinions. I googled it, but didn't see much.
Well, here at C-D it is part of the Triangle in that people who choose to move there are typically doing so because they have jobs in Triangle area cities/towns. From a historical perspective, it was always seen as a nearby area.... kind of the way you might think of Pittsboro or Mebane and their proximities to Chapel Hill.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Sure. Clayton is Triangle. Pittsboro (Chatham Co & parts of Apex, I believe) are Triangle. Lots of Chatham is Triangle.

Some people might claim Saxapahaw as Triangle (Alamance), but it's sort of in between Triangle and Triad. Some people claim Mebane as Triangle, too, but I think of it as more Triad.

Is Youngsville in Wake Co?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary