Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM

94 posts, read 315,523 times

Advertisements

For the parents and educators...

I have some questions regarding High Schools. We'll have a Freshman and Sophmore starting in the NC School System Fall of '08. My son has done 2 yrs. of Spanish and my daughter is interested in the Arts.

My question is regarding High Schools, electives etc. I'm a litlle confused as to the magnet System which sounds to be designated according to a lottery System.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It seems these are schools located in less desireable urban areas but offer electives that are not necessarily available to students in more conveniently located schools. Seems this is an attempt to draw higher income students that would otherwise not be happy about being bussed to the assigned are.

1. Are good electives hard to come by in the high schools?
2. If a Magnet school is the only assured way to get an elective and keep it through high school, how hard is the school to get into.
3. How is the education in such a school?
4. Is this primarily only a problem in Wake Cnty. schools or throughout the triangle?
5. Which is the best area to relocate to that would best ensure the kids attending the same school all the way through graduation? ...not including Private Schools.

Work for us will be in N.Raleigh. Looking to move to Chapel Hill, N.Raleigh , Morrisville Area or possibly s. Durham. Not too sure which areas yet. We'll be there in a couple of weeks to narrow down the areas for a home search.

Schools that sound good are Apex High, Green Hope High?, Hope Creek...Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,687 times
Green Hope is a excellent High school.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:05 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,565 times
The magnet schools do have a base area that if you live in that particular area you can go the high school without applying through the magnet program. Enloe arguably is the best from an academic standpoint, but it is extremely difficult to get into especially if your child was not in a magnet middle school. Broughton while a magnet for now, the school system is considering dropping it's magnet status. North Raleigh High Schools that have good reputations are Leesville, Broughton (although technically inside the beltline does draw from some North Raleigh neighborhoods), and Wakefield. Leesville and Broughton are probably the most stable as far as not being reassigned, while Wakefield has a stronger chance due to the growth in that part of the county. There are also a few Charter high schools. Raleigh Charter has an excellent reputation but admission is via a lottery and it is extremely hard to get into - but if you don't try your chances will definitely be zero. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
Raleigh Charter has an excellent reputation but admission is via a lottery and it is extremely hard to get into - but if you don't try your chances will definitely be zero. Good luck.
I know we will try for Raleigh Charter....though as you said...the odds are agaienst it. It's an excellent school and, hey, a chance is a chance. (We'll also be applying for Enloe).

Then again...I'll have to figure out how to get her there and home, as charter schools don't provide transportation...but we'll cross that bridge.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 PM

94 posts, read 315,523 times
Note to person who sent me PM re: commute. Not familiar with how to navigate this sight yet, but I really appreciate your input. This kind of info is priceless as all I see the distance on a map...no traffic. THANKS for taking the time to share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary