Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
interesting.....
Yes, indeed the irony is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 05:41 PM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Upper teens to twenties is not the definition of children. If they want to leave, there is nothing stopping them.
My children are both in their 20's. Both the dictionary and myself define them as such. Offspring is a cold term and adult children an awkward one.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
My children are both in their 20's. Both the dictionary and myself define them as such. Offspring is a cold term and adult children an awkward one.
How do you feel about the terms "brood" or "larvae"? I consider individuals in their 20's to no longer be in the larval stage..

Old 06-06-2014, 12:11 AM

74 posts, read 112,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
How do you feel about the terms "brood" or "larvae"? I consider individuals in their 20's to no longer be in the larval stage..
Herd... whipper snappers-- edible, tender flesh when the apocalypse hits--you know, standard issue terminology.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
I was having an interesting conversation with some neighbors that relocated from California to the Triangle about 2.5yrs ago who at the time of pre-relocation planning and post arrival believed it was a very good move to the area but after a few months of exploring, working, etc. no longer feel as happy as they expected to be. These children have grown up and are no longer happy either because they don't seem to find anything appealing for them to do recreational aside from a bowling / movies / Frankie's Fun Place / D&B's / laser tag. This is a common complaint I've heard from many parents who's children are in the upper teens or early twenties and are not originally from here. I know there are those teenagers who can't wait to get into college to jump into the drinking scene but personally that is not a sensible use of free time.

Clearly every place is not for everyone which is very understandable as all the research, visiting, talking with folks at the destination is no substitute for actually living here day to day, but I'd like to hear from anyone either former California residents or anywhere else who have felt or still do as my neighbors.

Understand this is not an attempt to begin a bashing/thrashing thread because that is not my intent whatsoever. However, I do this may serve those who seem to believe that the grass is greener or just miss some important points when considering a move not just to the triangle but anywhere else.
Interesting and I am glad you started this post. I live in NY and have kids ages 24 down to 9. I hear this all.the.time. from the oldest two. I think this is a generational thing! First off, for teenagers and 20 somethings, what else are they looking to do besides all the things kids do? Movies, bowling, laser tag, malls, swimming, etc? Here in NYC there is that, and then there is SO MUCH TO DO in Manhattan and yet I hear this all.the.time. I work with youth and hear this all.the.time. I personally think with smart phones, and xbox and all this technology, kids get bored quickly of all the traditional things we did as kids. I would spend the entire day at the roller rink having a blast! Today kids go for 2 hrs and are ready to leave.
Personally, on a totally personal level I understand your concern because I have kids too and am relocating there. But coming from the city, I assure you kids are complaining about the exact same things here.....
And on a personal note, those kids that get bored so quickly well, I worry about them too with the state of the world we live in today.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I don't consider myself a detractor, nor do I necessarily like doing all the following things, but here are a list of things that can be done in other bigger cities or geographically different cities that cannot be done here:

-Go to MLB, NFL, NBA game (Philly, DC, NYC, Balto, Boston, Chicago, SF, LA)

-Hop on the subway/lite rail/public trans. and go to other parts of the city without relying on parents or having to drive (NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Balto, etc.)

-Choose from dozens of world-class museums (DC, NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, etc)

-Visit major, iconic, historical landmarks (DC, NYC, Philly, Boston, SF, LA, CHI)

-Visit eat, shop in large ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown, Koreatown, Italian district, Polish, Mexican
neighborhoods, etc (NYC, Philly, Boston, DC, SF, Chi, Balto, LA)

-Visit another major city close by for a change of pace (DC, Balto, Philly, NYC, Boston)

-Head to the beach for the afternoon or day (LA, SF, NYC, Boston, Philly)

-Shop in high-end boutiques like Prada, Versace, Gucci or even high-end dept. stores like Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales (NYC, LA, DC, Philly, DC, Chicago)

-Go to big specialty stores that are in big cities but not here like American Girl, Ikea, LL Bean (NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, LA)

-Go skiing for the day (LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, DC, Balto)

-Go to the city zoo (NYC, Philly, DC, Balto., SF, LA, CHI)

-See and be seen :-) (LA, NYC)

-Be part of the major clubs scene (LA, NYC, Chicago?)

-Take part in fashion scene/fashion shows (LA, NYC)

-Pick from a wide variety of Broadway shows on a given day (NYC)

-Enjoy year-round gorgeous weather (LA)

-Be involved in movie scene (LA)
Exactly my point. And the kids here in NYC still complain there is "nothing to do"

Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 AM

449 posts, read 700,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
How do you feel about the terms "brood" or "larvae"? I consider individuals in their 20's to no longer be in the larval stage.. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlonthewing View Post
Herd... whipper snappers-- edible, tender flesh when the apocalypse hits--you know, standard issue terminology.
Thanks for my morning coffee spew, er, I mean laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary