Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 05:12 AM

37 posts, read 173,367 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have looked at two Anderson Home developments, one in Fuquay and one in Holly Springs. The price difference is about $20K for the same model (costing more in H.S.) My question is this: Would you buy a basement house (3000 sq ft) in Fuquay or a 4 bedroom 2 story slab house in Holly Springs (2400 sq ft)? Also, the HS development has a pool, but is close to the new SW landfill. Does anyone know (Realtors especially) how badly a landfill will hurt resale value. Would a basement lot have a lot more resale value than a 2-story 4bedroom house (not taking location into account).

Would love opinions, especially from Realtors!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Can you NOT take location into account? I mean the most beautiful home in the worst part of town is still in the worst part of town. I have heard the negatives of slab are the fact that repairs to pipes under the house cost a fortune and are a serious inconvenience due to having the floor ripped up etc.....most likely to happen during a severe freeze or if the ground shifts dramatically forcing the foundation to shift...yada yada yada. How many freezes happen around here? How much does the ground really shift? Basements are great for relocating northerners as EVERYONE has a basement up North but it's another floor to clean and unless you finish it then it's an eye sore and possibly a devalue (my opinion). Crawlspace allows for bugs and stuff into the home, adds value only if used and for storage mostly. My opinion.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
There has been much written about your question. If you go to search and type the word 'SLAB' you will get 555 postings that use the word SLAB. I have never owned a home with a SLAB only full basements or crawl spaces. I tend to work on my homes by seeming always needing to add an electrical outlet somewhere for some reason or fixing broken pipes, etc. and when all of that is buried in concrete it makes it very difficult. Just something to consider. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 AM

37 posts, read 173,367 times
My question was more...is H.S. $20K more desirable than Fuquay. Especially when taking into consideration that the location I'm looking at in Holly Springs is about 1 mile from the new SW Landfill.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 PM

70 posts, read 271,070 times
I would build the basement in Fuquay and the area that Anderson has in Fuquay for the basement is nice. We was considering it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM

403 posts, read 353,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I tend to work on my homes by seeming always needing to add an electrical outlet somewhere for some reason or fixing broken pipes, etc. and when all of that is buried in concrete it makes it very difficult. Just something to consider. Good luck!

The electricity is not buried in the slab, it comes in the side of the house, along with the gas line. The main water line comes through the slab, but the rest of the lines are in the wall. The odds of anything happening to the very small area of the water line (not pipe) that is under the slab is very small and a good builder will locate the line in an area of the house that can easily be worked on that does not disrupt the house......such as a closet or garage.

I have owned a full basement, crawl space and now slab. I hesitated at a slab, but now have discovered that they are actually a more stable foundation for this part of the country. No more mess or smells either. Good deal!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Can you NOT take location into account? I mean the most beautiful home in the worst part of town is still in the worst part of town. I have heard the negatives of slab are the fact that repairs to pipes under the house cost a fortune and are a serious inconvenience due to having the floor ripped up etc.....most likely to happen during a severe freeze or if the ground shifts dramatically forcing the foundation to shift...yada yada yada. How many freezes happen around here? How much does the ground really shift? Basements are great for relocating northerners as EVERYONE has a basement up North but it's another floor to clean and unless you finish it then it's an eye sore and possibly a devalue (my opinion). Crawlspace allows for bugs and stuff into the home, adds value only if used and for storage mostly. My opinion.
The ground shifts a whole bunch in NC. Soil subsidence is very serious here and can ruin a building as well as screw up plumbing.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The ground shifts a whole bunch in NC. Soil subsidence is very serious here and can ruin a building as well as screw up plumbing.
But...not in HS or Fuquay. Those problems are almost always in Durham/CH and occasionally N. Raleigh. The soil content in southern Wake county is more sand based as opposed to the expansive clay they have in Northern Wake/Durham/Orange. I have never seen a serious foundation problem in HS or FV, and very very few minor issues (usually due to builder error as opposed to the soil)
Homes newer than 12 years use PEX plumbing almost exclusively and with a slab there are no plumbing joints buried in the concrete. Plumbing failure with a cracked slab is almost unheard of, especially with PEX which is flexible and can expand to twice its size before failure occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary