Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,974,558 times

Advertisements

The N&O reports that 6 of the 10 fastest-growing towns in North Carolina are in Wake County.

Quote:
Rolesville, Fuquay-Varina, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Knightdale and Wake Forest have all seen their populations grow by more than 14 percent in the three years ending July 1, 2013. Apex and Cary have grown by 10 percent, bringing Cary’s population to more than 150,000.

Wake County’s overall population has exceeded 975,000 and is expected to top 1 million sometime in the next year.

The Triangle’s two largest cities are still adding population at a healthy clip. Raleigh’s population grew 6.3 percent since 2010, to 431,746, while Durham grew 7.1 percent to 245,475.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/...opulation.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:10 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,931,748 times
Everyone in transit, please turn around and go back home. We have no more space here. Regards, people already living here who don't want to see traffic get worse.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,340,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Everyone in transit, please turn around and go back home. We have no more space here. Regards, people already living here who don't want to see traffic get worse.
Hehehe.

No. Really. This works for me. We can start a relocation lottery system for managed growth. With a fee. Boost the economy.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Hehehe.

No. Really. This works for me. We can start a relocation lottery system for managed growth. With a fee. Boost the economy.

They do it for the good schools, why not for the chance to live here?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,340,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
They do it for the good schools, why not for the chance to live here?
I think we should run for office.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think we should run for office.
I've got time. Let's go.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,221,646 times
We aren't running out of space but we are functionally running out of space for continual suburban sprawl.
We won't be able to afford continual suburban infrastructure expansion that grows faster than our population. What we can afford to do is develop more housing in our core to add to our tax base, reduce the overall number of miles driven and position us well for maintaining our aging suburban infrastructure (roads, sewer, etc.) that some are already balking at having to pay for to fix.
For everyone that loves their suburban lifestyle within the city limits of both Raleigh and Durham, I suggest getting behind a push to develop our cores with more housing, more retail, more entertainment and more new jobs (like those at RedHat and Citrix) because it will be those tax dollars that will continue to disproportionately generate the revenues that will save your butts from future spiraling costs from end of life infrastructure. To stop growth now would mean that we are more financially vulnerable and accept future costs associated with our historically mostly suburban development model.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,184,770 times
rnc2mbfl, I think that Raleigh and Durham are heeding your advice, even before you wrote this. Just take a drive downtown, preferably on a Sunday afternoon when you can feel comfortable being a gawker. Cranes are in action. New Apartments are going up in all of the nicest areas. Hope the nicest areas stay nice.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,221,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
rnc2mbfl, I think that Raleigh and Durham are heeding your advice, even before you wrote this. Just take a drive downtown, preferably on a Sunday afternoon when you can feel comfortable being a gawker. Cranes are in action. New Apartments are going up in all of the nicest areas. Hope the nicest areas stay nice.
Thankfully they are. My place is in DT Raleigh so I know it's happening. It just needs to continue and needs the support of the people in the entire city!

BTW, with the new population estimates and if the 2010 land area of Raleigh (142.9 square miles) is still valid, Raleigh has passed the 3000 ppl/sm metric....proof that the city is heeding the advice! Before suburban sprawl, most NC cities had population metrics that were way above 3000 ppl/sm. Raleigh is (or will be) NC's first city to peek its head above that metric again.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 05-22-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 2,599,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
We aren't running out of space but we are functionally running out of space for continual suburban sprawl. ...
There is a parallel between cities and bacterial colonies growing in Petri dishes. They start out small, healthy, and growing. After a time they begin to die in the center while continuing to grow at the periphery. In Raleigh (and other cities) we continually hear about efforts to "revive the downtown area." Why? What is holy about "downtown?" Might be better to bulldoze it and create a lovely park.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary