Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

On this link below, click on the tab that reads Tennessee Localities. Where it says "Show (blank) entries" select ALL from the drop down menu. The Tennessee towns/cities will be listed in alphabetical order and you can view Population, Percent Change (2000 to 2010) and Population per Square Mile (population density).

Census 2010: Tennessee - USATODAY.com

The up and down arrow in each column allows you to reorder the data based on that column title, for example, population density from highest to lowest.

Anything jump out at you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
On this link below, click on the tab that reads Tennessee Localities. Where it says "Show (blank) entries" select ALL from the drop down menu. The Tennessee towns/cities will be listed in alphabetical order and you can view Population, Percent Change (2000 to 2010) and Population per Square Mile (population density).

Census 2010: Tennessee - USATODAY.com

The up and down arrow in each column allows you to reorder the data based on that column title, for example, population density from highest to lowest.

I'm surprised that Oak Ridge actually grew. Even though it grew by only 344, I think this is the first time Oak Ridge has been back above 29,000 in probably 30 years.

Otherwise, I don't see too many surprises. Half of the state's growth has taken place in the Nashville area, which is to be expected, and Memphis continues to bleed population even though it desperately tries to annex surrounding suburbs.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-18-2011, 01:44 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Oakland 6,623 417.8%
Arlington 11,517 348.3%
Spring Hill 29,036 276.4%
Medina 3,479 259.0%
Atoka 8,387 159.3%

Oakland, Arlington and Atoka are due to Memphis flight and Spring Hill I get, but Medina? I've been there and there isn't a whole lot of anything there.
Is that from people moving to the Jackson area?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Oakland 6,623 417.8%
Arlington 11,517 348.3%
Spring Hill 29,036 276.4%
Medina 3,479 259.0%
Atoka 8,387 159.3%

Oakland, Arlington and Atoka are due to Memphis flight and Spring Hill I get, but Medina? I've been there and there isn't a whole lot of anything there.
Is that from people moving to the Jackson area?
Or people fleeing the Jackson area.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-18-2011, 05:55 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm surprised that Oak Ridge actually grew. Even though it grew by only 344, I think this is the first time Oak Ridge has been back above 29,000 in probably 30 years.

Otherwise, I don't see too many surprises. Half of the state's growth has taken place in the Nashville area, which is to be expected, and Memphis continues to bleed population even though it desperately tries to annex surrounding suburbs.
No, 344 is the population density of Oak Ridge (number of people per square mile). It grew by over 2,000 people. I know when I was looking at Oak Ridge for moving, the population was about 27,300 - 27,500.

The question I have is why places like Spring Hill, Arlington and Oakland, none of which I know about personally, increased their populations by 276.4%, 348.3%, and 417.8%. DubbleT says it's Memphis flight. I believe I read about Spring Hill in relation to some kind of plant (auto maybe?) but the other 2 places don't ring a bell. That's just scary growth to me.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No, 344 is the population density of Oak Ridge (number of people per square mile). It grew by over 2,000 people. I know when I was looking at Oak Ridge for moving, the population was about 27,300 - 27,500.

The question I have is why places like Spring Hill, Arlington and Oakland, none of which I know about personally, increased their populations by 276.4%, 348.3%, and 417.8%. DubbleT says it's Memphis flight. I believe I read about Spring Hill in relation to some kind of plant (auto maybe?) but the other 2 places don't ring a bell. That's just scary growth to me.
d'oh! You're right, Oak Ridge did grow quite dramatically. I mean, for Oak Ridge it was dramatic.

Spring Hill was home to a giant GM plant that is now shut down. However, in the meantime it became a popular Nashville exurb, a cheaper alternative to Franklin. Arlington and Oakland have benefitted from the mass exodus that's been taking place in Memphis.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-18-2011, 08:34 PM

The Tennessean has a page that I like better than USA Today's. It includes not only the populations and increases (or decreases) for every county and town in Tennessee, it includes racial statistics, percentage of unoccupied homes, and the percentage of residents over/under the age of 18:

Census Data | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
My thought is if Ruthorford county has another decade like that, it's likely to overtake Hamilton as the state's fourth largest.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
My thought is if Ruthorford county has another decade like that, it's likely to overtake Hamilton as the state's fourth largest.
I think that is a real possibility, although maybe the new VW plant will help Hamilton County the same way the Nissan plant helped Rutherford County 25 years ago.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think that is a real possibility, although maybe the new VW plant will help Hamilton County the same way the Nissan plant helped Rutherford County 25 years ago.
I think the new VW plant may be just enough to keep Rutherford out of reach by the next census. If both counties grow by the same numbers (not percentages) that they did over the last 10 years, Hamilton would stay ahead by about 20-25,000. Rutherford has been (at least until the recession) accelerating in growth numbers...so w/o the VW plant, it would've been conceivable that Rutherford would pass Hamilton.

I like Rutherford County, but I'm hoping that they tone down their growth a bit, at least until infrastructure catches up....and I hope that the VW plant is enough for Hamilton County to remain competitive (in numbers) to Knox County. Chattanooga & Co. have worked hard to revitalize that city, its downtown, and its riverfront...they certainly deserve a share of new development in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee