Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenloveralways View Post
How far is the heritage area where the nice homes are from Durham? It's so hard when we don't know the area. Thank you so much
Where in Durham? Roughly what part?

I'd ballpark it around 45 minutes without traffic. But, that's to the middle of Durham.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
How far is the heritage area where the nice homes are from Durham? It's so hard when we don't know the area. Thank you so much
Try using mapquest.

It will give you a couple of different routes.

If you are going to be traveling during rush hour, I'd add 10 minutes to the commute.

If you are going to be working in Durham, you may want to investigate the area around Southpoint Mall, as well. And, you'll definitely want to investigate Durham Schools. The charter schools have good scores but overall, the Durham County schools are a bit iffy.

The area around Apex/Holly Springs may be a shorter commute than Wake Forest.

Again, plenty of new neighborhoods under $300,000 in those areas.

Last edited by RedZin; 05-24-2014 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Huh?

Tons of new homes under 300k in Cary? Single family homes?

I hate to think of where they are located.

Ditto Wake Forest.
There are fine homes in Wake Forest...not in Heritage and less than 10 years old, for that price range. I live in such a neighborhood...and it's quite nice.....not sure where you'd think it's located.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
There are fine homes in Wake Forest...not in Heritage and less than 10 years old, for that price range. I live in such a neighborhood...and it's quite nice.....not sure where you'd think it's located.
That was my point, Scarlet. I didn't think there were bountiful options for NEW single family homes in Cary OR WF for under 300k, and if there were, they'd have to be on the least attractive lots in town (which, there are few areas of either town that aren't at least decent).

There are plenty of NOT NEW homes in both towns that one could purchase for under 300k that are in perfectly nice neighborhoods.

Basically, I was agreeing with you.

My mom lives in such a home in WF, btw. It was built in 1942, but has been renovated.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:53 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
We are not sure exactly where we will be working… My husband will probably be working in Durham. Definitely looking for a place where there is a strong sense of community… Lots to do. We love being outside! Being from California… We want to live in a community where our son actually play outside or have friends close by! I have seen some of the newer homes and they look wonderful. They have lots of amenities… What love to hear from some that have seen them or live in them. Thank you so much
Are you saying your husband doesn't have a job here yet?

If so, you've put the cart well before the horse. Put the house on the back burner until he gets a job. And unless that job is in his current field, he probably won't be getting a mortgage for a couple of years.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are you saying your husband doesn't have a job here yet?

If so, you've put the cart well before the horse. Put the house on the back burner until he gets a job. And unless that job is in his current field, he probably won't be getting a mortgage for a couple of years.
And maybe they ARE paying cash and don't need a mortgage?!!

I think y'all would be surprised at the number of buyers that DO pay cash and how many of them are NOT buying homes over $500,000. Some people just don't like the idea of paying interest and will only buy what they can buy with the cash they have.

Last edited by RedZin; 05-24-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And maybe they ARE paying cash and don't need a mortgage?!!

I think y'all would be surprised at the number of buyers that DO pay cash and how many of them are NOT buying homes over $500,000. Some people just don't like the idea of paying interest and will only buy what they can buy with the cash they have.

Vicki
True. But, unless you're retired or independently wealthy, you do need a job to pay utilities, eat, pay taxes, buy/maintain a car (tough to get from Durham to WF without one), etc.

I see why JK brought up the mortgage issue, because it could be relevant. If the OP doesn't require one, the info is not needed. If she does require one, it's good to know. We draw heavy traffic on this particular relocation board. Even if the OP doesn't need the info, someone in a similar situation might.

Not everyone knows that sort of thing. Perhaps due to always renting or to not having had to get a new mortgage for a long time.

Also, the OP posted some time back about USDA loans (if memory serves). Perhaps you know, Vicki... Can one obtain a USDA loan for property in WF? Or, specifically, in Heritage?

I would think not, but I'm not a RE Agent.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
True. But, unless you're retired or independently wealthy, you do need a job to pay utilities, eat, pay taxes, buy/maintain a car (tough to get from Durham to WF without one), etc.

I see why JK brought up the mortgage issue, because it could be relevant. If the OP doesn't require one, the info is not needed. If she does require one, it's good to know.

Not everyone knows that sort of thing. Perhaps due to always renting or to not having had to get a new mortgage for a long time.
It is "assumed" that everyone needs or wants a job.

OP asked about n'hoods and opinions. She didn't ask about jobs, per se.

By the way, back to the OP question...not every n'hood posts their brand new homes in MLS. Sometimes you have to know where to look. But yes, there are plenty of them under $300,000.

Last edited by RedZin; 05-24-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 09:58 AM

I did recall correctly: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...xperience.html

If OP is looking for FHA now, they do require 2 years at same job or in same industry, last I checked. Perhaps the rules have changed, but I'd assume they've only tightened since I bought my first home with FHA years ago.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
It is "assumed" that everyone needs or wants a job.

OP asked about n'hoods and opinions. She didn't ask about jobs, per se.

By the way, back to the OP question...not every n'hood posts their brand new homes in MLS. Sometimes you have to know where to look. But yes, there are plenty of them under $300,000.

Vicki
Buying homes and having jobs/money sort of go hand in hand. Nobody shook the OP down about her finances. Just offered, relevant extra info that she might find useful. No harm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary