Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 PM

83 posts, read 268,361 times

Advertisements

As you all know, the last few days have been blazing hot. This afternoon, even with the thermostat on for a couple of hours, it was pretty hot in the house. Come to find out, it was still 79 degrees inside, the same temperature at which we started since we set it to 72. With some troubleshooting of the heat pump outside and the fuses, the fan is blowing well. The air from the vents IS cool, but it seems to be coming out slowly. Any ideas before I end up overpaying someone to fix this? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times
Look for loose duct work. I had duct work actually fall off due to excessive humidity in my crawl space (now long since fixed).

Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM

83 posts, read 268,361 times
Where would I look though? I'm not really a fix-it type of person...

Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times
Does the main duct come into a crawl space? IF so, you can open the crawl space door and while it should be cool it should not be cold. That would be the first point of reference. The next step would be to crawl over to where the duct comes in and check it out. Looks for a tight connection. Secondly, has the system been running a long time? Sometimes the coils freeze like old freezers used to and it can block air flow. If the duct work seems ok you can try shutting down for a while to let things thaw out.

Just some suggestions based on my experience...with A/C, not heat pumps. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising3131 View Post
Where would I look though? I'm not really a fix-it type of person...
If your house has a crawl space, take a good flashlight, go in there, look for pieces of flex duct which is damaged or disconnected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WoPHd9bdR8

Old 09-02-2014, 05:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Check filter, make sure it's not clogged or restricting air flow.

Check the evap coil if you are able, look for a dirty coil or frozen up.

Alternatively try turning the unit off for a couple hours (I know) then turn it back on. If the air flow is normal, wait and see. If it diminishes again your evap coil is freezing up most likely. Either a clogged filter or leak and low refrigerant level.

It's possible your air handler blower motor is also weak or the cap is going on it as well.

Check out DIYchatroom.com, they have a pretty helpful HVAC section. But try to use correct terminology to help out if you can. The system isn't hard to learn, spend a couple mins going over the various components.

HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Outside of that not much you can do get Justin on your speed dial.

Last edited by wheelsup; 09-02-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,059 times
Sounds like either the air filter is clogged or the outside unit is low on freon and the evaporator coils are almost frozen which will restrict air flow. Remove the air filter and check if air volume increases. If not, visually inspect the 2 copper lines going to the outside unit for frost. If you see frost turn off the a/c for 3-4 hours. This will allow the evaporator coils to thaw allowing air to pass through them. You will need to call someone to add freon to the system if you find it frozen.

Quote:
It's possible your air handler blower motor is also weak or the cap is going on it as well.
A blower motor will either work or it won't. A cap or capacitor is for start-up only and will not affect the running performance.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post

A blower motor will either work or it won't. A cap or capacitor is for start-up only and will not affect the running performance.
With respect there are start and there are run caps.

Without knowing the OP's specifics it's quite possible it might be a run cap.

For discussion check out this thread, indicating the same problem (slow blower motor) and the fix was a new run cap.

Blower Motor Slow, can hear it winding up - Home Improvement | DSLReports Forums

That is why I suggest learning the various components in the system, doing that helps to troubleshoot.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM

65 posts, read 105,348 times
Are you enrolled in the Duke Energy EnergyWise program. We experienced that today during one of the controlled outages. The previous owners of our home were enrolled. It may be worth it to check it out to see if that could be the cause of your problems today. It sounds very similar to what we experienced between 3 & 6 today.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Frozen coils. Let the unit thaw out overnight and see if your airflow is better in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary