Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:45 AM

150 posts, read 599,321 times

Advertisements

Hi all - seeking your infinate wisdom for knowing where things are. Does anyone know where I could find a beer-making kit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,184 times
It depends on what you are really looking for. Is this for someone (you?) that already knows how to brew beer? There is a pretty cheap ($45) kit out there called Mr. Beer that can be found at a few places around the triangle. It is a beginner kit and anyone who already brews their beer will laugh at it. However, it makes beer and is a good intro into the hobby. If you are looking for a "real kit" for the full 5g brews, there are a few homebrew stores around the triangle. I am in Durham and got my first kit from http://www.brewmasterstore.com/, which is in the north part of town. I think there is a petty good place in Raleigh, but the name escapes me at the moment.

ETA: the place in Raleigh is http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/catalog/ (broken link)

Last edited by 9/9; 12-16-2007 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: remembered info

Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 AM

150 posts, read 599,321 times
Thanks so much 9/9! It is a present for my husband who knows NOTHING about brewing beer but wanted to try. I KNEW someone here would be able to help me out!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:27 AM
9/9

If you think it is something that he is going to like, I would suggest just going with the full "real kit", since they really aren't that much more expensive (around $65 - $80), versus the $45 for the Mr. Beer. If he likes it he is going to upgrade pretty quickly anyway.

I love homebrewing and am always happy to help out anyone getting into the hobby!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:05 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i remember seeing that type of thing at Linens n things or bed bath and beyond

Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
This sounds like a thread right up Newuser's alley. He seems to be the resident "beermeister" on this forum. Hopefully he will chime in with some recommendations!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:01 PM

233 posts, read 860,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
This sounds like a thread right up Newuser's alley. He seems to be the resident "beermeister" on this forum. Hopefully he will chime in with some recommendations!

I bought my husband a full "newbie" kit at American Brewmaster in Raleigh a few years ago. I think I paid about $90. He dabbles in it, and has a friend that is really into it... so he has fun with it. I'm glad I skipped over the little kit and went for the better one. My husband still continues to get all of his supplies at American Brewmaster, the guys in there are great too. They love to check out other peoples brews, give suggestions, etc.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:25 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,441 times
My DH gets his stuff at American Brewmaster too. I wonder if they have Gift Certificates. Cause I think half the fun is going in there and talking to the guys and deciding what kind of beer to make, etc. Of course, if you go there and get the basic kit, he will still have to go back and get the hops and stuff.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:52 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
My DH gets his stuff at American Brewmaster too. I wonder if they have Gift Certificates.
Yep, they do.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:10 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Man. I'm a little slow today. A beer question is posted this morning and it takes me 10 hours to respond.

In my defense, I was actually at American Brewmaster this afternoon purchasing the ingredients for my next 2 beers. I'll be making a light lager (German Helles) next weekend, and then a spiced Belgian ale on the following weekend.

I would also recommend against a Mr Beer type kit, unless your husband is the type who jumps from hobby to hobby without really sticking to anything. I've known people who buy a Mr Beer and are happy with it for years. But most of the time, people try homebrewing, really enjoy it, and end up outgrowing the Mr Beer kits after 3 or 4 batches.

If you do get your husband the kit, tell him about the 2 homebrewing clubs in the area: CARBOY (Cary-Apex-Raleigh) and TRUB (Durham-Chapel Hill). The Durham club is a little more rowdy than the Raleigh club, but both are a great bunch of friendly guys. I belong to the Raleigh club, and we just had our annual Christmas party last night. We're also having a Super Bowl party next month. We also have a monthly meeting at a restaurant in north Raleigh. You can find both clubs on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary