Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:44 PM

36 posts, read 131,825 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy my first home in NC and I'm curious how many people ordered a land survey prior to closing on their home. My agent said it's about 50/50 - some do, some don't. There's no survey available on the property, only a plat map, because it's new construction. Can anyone recommend a surveyor? The property is in Smithfield. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 02:48 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I strongly recommend the survey.
You want to know the location of encroachments, easements, that your improvements, including driveway are actually on your property, and any etceteras that a professional surveyor may note.

The closing attorney should be able to facilitate that, and it makes it one less item for you to keep track of going into closing.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I echo what Mike has said, better to get a survey now so that you KNOW your property lines, encroachments, etc. The closing attorney is an excellent resource for that.

Leigh

Old 12-16-2007, 03:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Thumbs up I would get a survey

I got a survey when I purchased my home last year. A couple hundred bucks for confirmation of my property lines, easements, and any encroachments went a long way towards my piece of mind. It will also be very helpful should I ever decide to install a fence on my property.

Do yourself a favor. If you do decide to get a survey, in addition to keeping your copy of the survey map in a safe place, go out on your property once the survey has been completed and take pictures of where they place your property corner pins (They sometimes mark them with small flags or some sort of colored tape). It is helpful to take the picture with some permanent point of reference in the background like a tree or telephone pole. That way if you ever need to find the pins again down the road once they are covered with dirt or grass you can look at the pictures to help you find them more easily.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I recently sold a listing of mine. My seller had a plat of the house but not an actual survey. She had purchased the house new and the builder had given her the plat and told her it wasn't necessary to get the survey since it was an additional $350.00.

Based on the plat, my seller put up a fence and a very large wooden gazebo with a hot tub inside.

After the house sold, the new buyer ordered a new survey.

The new survey showed the fence was encroaching into the common area of the neighborhood and since the fence was encroaching, the gazebo and hot tub were also encroaching.

The buyer decided not to close on the house, even after my seller agreed to move the fence, move the gazebo and give her some additional money off the price of the house.

This was a very expensive lesson for my seller. It cost her thousands of dollars to move the fence and the gazebo and a few extra months of house payments since we had to re list the house and start all over again.

Get the survey.

Vicki

Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I got a survey when I purchased my home last year. A couple hundred bucks for confirmation of my property lines, easements, and any encroachments went a long way towards my piece of mind. It will also be very helpful should I ever decide to install a fence on my property.

Do yourself a favor. If you do decide to get a survey, in addition to keeping your copy of the survey map in a safe place, go out on your property once the survey has been completed and take pictures of where they place your property corner pins (They sometimes mark them with small flags or some sort of colored tape). It is helpful to take the picture with some permanent point of reference in the background like a tree or telephone pole. That way if you ever need to find the pins again down the road once they are covered with dirt or grass you can look at the pictures to help you find them more easily.
A metal detector is very helpful in finding those pins after they have been beat down into the ground years later!!!

Vicki

Old 12-16-2007, 03:25 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
We always have a survey done for any type of property we purchase. And it doesn't matter if it is brand new or old, we still have it done .

Old 12-16-2007, 03:38 PM

36 posts, read 131,825 times
As always, thanks so much for the feedback. I just alerted my RE agent and attorney that I'll want a survey performed on the property.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Funny thing is, I never asked for a survey but someone did because I have both their results and the markers around the perimeter of my house. I assumed it was required by my mortgage company or local government.

Regardless I'm glad I have that information as I'm able to use a significant portion of my property that exceeds my rear fence line for yard waste (ok, mostly leaves). As someone who recently moved from a place where you had to bag all your leaves it's quite a relief.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:38 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
Mortgage companies never require a survey, and I have noticed its about 50/50 on those that order it as well. I always recommend when asked, as was said its an extra $350 expense but worth the peace of mind. Much better than paying to remove fences, additions, landscaping, etc further down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary