Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 38,256 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm new to the forum and love the great postings. We're from the Bay Area (Silicon Valley) and have been thinking of relocating to Raleigh since my husband's company's new headquarter is there. His boss suggested we visit Raleigh before making any final decisions. I'm sure Raleigh is beautiful all year but when is the better time to visit?

Also, his boss made it sound as though there aren't many Asian families there. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I think fall and spring are the best times of year to vist just because the weather is so much nicer. And while there may not be quite as many Asians as in California, there are PLENTY of Asian families here from all over the world. This area is home to several major universities and colleges as well as large companies like SAS, Fidelity, and IBM. Trust me, there are lots of Asians here.

Last edited by lamishra; 09-24-2007 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,911 times
I like Spring and Fall the best. Even winter too. Because of the summer heat, things look stressed and not as pretty, IMO. I think the area is very diverse. Have not been to Silicon Valley so I can't compare the two. I suggest you make a few visits and see if the area is for you. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 PM

560 posts, read 2,848,959 times
I'd say in the coming months would be a great time to visit. We have visited at all times of the year and have been here full time since May and have liked the Sept-Nov time frame the most due to the mild temps.

I work with many Asians and have seen many Asians out shopping and what not. You will find that the Triangle is very diverse and that there is little to worry about in the way of prejudice.

Good luck!!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM

403 posts, read 929,645 times
The Triangle is very diverse..no worries there.

Visit in late October to early November or late March in to April. Both times of year are particularly lovely IMO.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 PM

180 posts, read 662,439 times
Visiting is such a wonderful idea. I wish I had done that BEFORE I moved down here! But we took the chance last year and dove in. Important things to check out before you move: The traffic around the new company's headquarters, the schools (if you have children), the food (try non-chain restaurants), and do ALOT of people watching!!! Go park yourself at an outdoor cafe somewhere and just watch!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
I agree with what everyone else has said about when it is prettiest in this area. However, I personally would want to visit at the worst time of the year in order to know what the worst times will be like. No one ever complains about how pretty the flowers are in the spring or how lovely the foliage and temps are in the autumn. But lots of people complain about the hot, humid summer! And I'm sure there are a few (not used to living in places that get cold during the winter) that complain about the cold weather as well.

I had already accepted a position and planned on moving when I visited to find a place to live. It was early June and pretty warm, but I was glad to see what the summer weather was like, because I really do not like super hot weather and very high humidity like the weather is where I am from. It was nice to have a comparison of climates during what I considered the worst time of the year.

So, in my opinion, it's best to pick a time of year you have the potential to dislike the most to find out how extreme the weather is during that time instead of going when everything appears to be perfect. I'm sure it is an awful feeling to move somewhere based on those perceptions and then find out later that you actually hate the climate for several months of the year (Floridians moving to the NC mountains come time mind here...)!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,960 times
Default Speaking of Weather

Speaking of the weather , how's the winters in Raleigh-Durham. I've chosen the Raleigh-Durham area for my retirement because compared to the Northeast (Massachusetts):

I've read that the Triangle area has a moderate climate.

I've read that you get four inches of snow a year.

The latter is the most important factor to my decision. Please, please tell my aching muscles (I'm still digging out from our last snow fall of last week), that my shoveling duties in NC will be minimal.

=>Donna

Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
I agree with Miamiblue - you don't want to visit when it's the nicest - visit in August or in January.

I visited in June before moving here and we got a temperate weekend, which was almost a disappointment. I want to feel what 90+ humid is.

Being from so cal, I am still worried about what this summer will bring.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Coming from the temperate climate of the Bay Area, I'd also recommend coming in either January or August. I'd lean toward August though, b/c we can and do have mild weather often in the winter, but don't often have mild weather in August. Even on a seasonably cool day, the humidity can be quite high and uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary