Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 5,374 times

Advertisements

Hi there, We are moving to NC and are trying to decide which area is the best fit for our family.

Considerations:

1. Our daughter is on a gymnastics team. We would like to find a good USAG Xcel Team or Jr. Olympic Team (Level 4). (Finding a school with a gymnastics program would be AWESOME!)

2. She acts in plays, so it would be great to have a school that has that sort of thing available.

3. She also models, but I don't know how much of that sort of thing takes place in the Raleigh area.

4. She is in the Gifted and Talented Group, scoring 8 points from MENSA eligibility on the CogAT exam. I don't know if her test scores would assist her in getting into a good school, or if we need to live in a particular neighborhood. Does anyone know?

4. We'd like a home with a private swimming pool, but it appears as if there are no homes with pools in that area. Are we missing something? Is there any hope of finding a home with a pool?

5. We will be renting for a while. Our budget would be around $2250 or so, maybe more if we would find a perfect home for us. Any neighborhood recommendations, based upon schools or anything else that makes the neighborhood stand out?

Thanks for any and all responses!! Merry Christmas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,658 times
You didn't mention what grade your daughter is in or where in the area you (or your spouse) would be working.

As for pools, most houses here don't have one because most neighborhoods have a pool that is run by the neighborhood's HOA. There are some houses with private pools that you'll see listed now and then. They seem to stay on the market longer than houses that don't have them.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
All other things being equal (commute distance, budget, etc), I'd probably pick Cary over Apex, and I would pick federal penitentiary over Morrisville.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:23 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,238,079 times
Cary is where all the exceptional children live.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:26 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
All other things being equal (commute distance, budget, etc), I'd probably pick Cary over Apex, and I would pick federal penitentiary over Morrisville.
Uh, Dude...

The "Big House" is NOT a McMansion...

Old 12-24-2015, 04:53 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
OP,
Gymnastics are outside my ken, but I have friends who like the Raleigh School of Gymnastics.
XCEL Program ⋆ Raleigh School of Gymnastics

Pools are tough. You can find them, but quality, maintenance, and integration into the flow of the home all vary greatly.
I find that most people who need a pool are generally happier when they select a property that allows a pool of their choice to be easily integrated into the property.
And, for them to really hold any value, they need to be nicely done.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,374 times
ByShe is in 5th grade right now. The city is Morrisville.

Such a bummer about the private pool situation there. Never ran into that before.

Truly appreciate the responses!!!

Old 12-24-2015, 06:56 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
An additional reason for so few private pools is that you can really only use them for about 3 months of the year. Weather here isn't like in Southern Cali or phoenix.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
An additional reason for so few private pools is that you can really only use them for about 3 months of the year. Weather here isn't like in Southern Cali or phoenix.
3 months ?

Before we converted our swimming pool into a garden, we used it from May to September.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Why, because being centrally located to all the areas of the triangle is a bad thing? Sure there is some traffic, but that can be avoided by not living on certain roads. Also, roads are being widened because all you people who don't live here keep driving on them anyway. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary