Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,611,439 times

Advertisements

I have a 2002 BMW M3. I replaced the window regulator yesterday, and even though I was careful to disconnect the battery before removing the side impact airbag, I somehow triggered an airbag fault.

If I go to a dealer or independent mechanic to have the fault reset, they will probably charge me for a complete diagnostic before they reset the light.

Does anyone have one of those tools that can reset the SRS fault codes? I live in southern Wake, down by Lake Wheeler.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times
You can usually get codes by either googling, or by finding BMW message boards (well, I don't know for sure that BMW message boards exist but "Ford enthusiasts" have one, so I would guess BMW has one too!)

Old 07-20-2014, 06:52 AM

621 posts, read 983,026 times
Think he wants tools, not codes. From the first paragraph, it appears if it's a problem solved by googling, he wouldn't be posting this issue.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You can usually get codes by either googling, or by finding BMW message boards (well, I don't know for sure that BMW message boards exist but "Ford enthusiasts" have one, so I would guess BMW has one too!)
I don't need the code. I pretty much know that it will say something like "Hey dummy, you disconnected the passenger-side airbag". I need to clear the code in the fault list so that the little light goes out on my dashboard.

If I was planning to keep the car for much longer, I'd invest in one of the special tools that does this (e.g., SRS (Airbag) Scan and Reset tool), but my plan is to sell the car in the next few months. I'm hoping that someone on this forum already has a similar tool and can reset the light for me.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,733,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
If I was planning to keep the car for much longer, I'd invest in one of the special tools that does this (e.g., SRS (Airbag) Scan and Reset tool), but my plan is to sell the car in the next few months. I'm hoping that someone on this forum already has a similar tool and can reset the light for me.
Eh.... I'm on the fence with this. The fact that you are planning to sell the vehicle and we're talking about airbags, maybe you should just fork over the cash to get this done at a mechanic. Nobody is perfect and especially considering you posted this on the internet, it could come back around and bite you in the posterior should something happen to a subsequent owner.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,313,742 times
Have you tried any of the autoparts stores? I don't have a BMW, but they've run a diagnosis and reset codes for me many times, no charge. (Autozone, etc...)

(If applicable, I have bought the part from them, but it's not required.)

Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Eh.... I'm on the fence with this. The fact that you are planning to sell the vehicle and we're talking about airbags, maybe you should just fork over the cash to get this done at a mechanic.
If I was to reset the code, and the fault came back the next day, then sure. . . I'd know that I had possibly damaged the side airbag unit while repairing the window regulator. In that case, then I would go to a repair shop and have it looked at.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Have you tried any of the autoparts stores? I don't have a BMW, but they've run a diagnosis and reset codes for me many times, no charge. (Autozone, etc...)
I knew that they read codes, but was not sure that they reset codes. I'll give them a call.

EDIT: I just called Autozone, they will read codes but they will not reset them.

Last edited by NewUser; 07-20-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
Quote:
I knew that they read codes, but was not sure that they reset codes. I'll give them a call.

EDIT: I just called Autozone, they will read codes but they will not reset them.
The Autozone and AAP in Rolesville won't reset the codes as a general rule. They will just pull them. It depends on who you get, I did get one person to do it but it was random luck, I think as a general rule corporate won't let them do it. I ended up just buying an OBD2 Bluetooth connector and using my Android phone to pull and reset them, cost me around $25 or so.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,963 times
Quote:
If I was to reset the code, and the fault came back the next day, then sure. . . I'd know that I had possibly damaged the side airbag unit while repairing the window regulator. In that case, then I would go to a repair shop and have it looked at.
Exactly. Nothing wrong or dangerous about clearing codes unless it's done within minutes of someone picking up the car with intent to deceive. I forget the name of the reset tool, I had one when I had my M's, very handy. Check a local car messageboard, or hit up an M enthusiast shop like IMW I'm sure they will do it for nothing or next to nothing. The tool itself isn't expensive if you just want to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: