Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

It's amazing how ignorant people can be by simply believing what is shown on a political agenda commercial without actually making an attempt to learn the truth about a process. And Americans really wonder why we have become the laughing stock of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
ignorant is such a misunderstood word

Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 PM

288 posts, read 360,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I still don't understand the reference. Are you using the term "Luddite" to simply mean "anti-technology"? There is a pretty important labor movement aspect to the term, and I don't think those opposed to fracking are campaigning for the rights of displaced coal miners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I mean the term as people who oppose new technology, often with irrational fear.
I don't think you have a very firm grasp of that word's meaning, but at least I understand what you think it means now.

Honestly, I haven't followed this issue very closely, but have the fracking companies finally agreed to disclose the exact chemical mixtures that they are injecting into the ground? If you were serious about wanting scientific analysis, this type of open information exchange is critical.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I don't think you have a very firm grasp of that word's meaning, but at least I understand what you think it means now.

Honestly, I haven't followed this issue very closely, but have the fracking companies finally agreed to disclose the exact chemical mixtures that they are injecting into the ground? If you were serious about wanting scientific analysis, this type of open information exchange is critical.
Our current elected officials have made it a misdemeanor for anyone to disclose the chemicals used in fracking. I'm sure that decision was made with general public in mind and not the energy companies

Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 PM

45 posts, read 69,277 times
How about 2500 earthquakes in Oklahoma in a 5 year span connected to Fracking....

Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Instead of attacking the messenger, do you have any refutation to the links they referenced? I thought the newspaper images were pretty self-explanatory.
Just because methane can leak into water supplies naturally doesn't mean anything about whether fracking can also cause it unnaturally, so the articles don't really address the issue.

This article is a few years old but cites a few specific examples of the kinds of water contamination and other effects being seen. On the scientific examination side, there's this Duke-led study that showed strong correlation between distance from gas wells and methane/ethane/propane in drinking water wells.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hme2143 View Post
How about 2500 earthquakes in Oklahoma in a 5 year span connected to Fracking....
Hey, you know how to quote from Thinkprogress! Or, you know, we could take the words of an actual scientist:

Latest Swarm Of OK Earthquakes Could Be Tied To Lake Arcadia - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Old 07-24-2014, 05:24 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
It also "could" be the result of gophers tunnelling.

So here is some REAL info on fracking. While in Texas, meeting with some VERY conservative clients of mine (they make their living on oil and gas), their take on Fracking was this: "We were promised lots of money and wealth, and didn't see any of it, all we got is broken roads, dust everywhere, destruction of our land (as in the way strip-mining looks), and not much else. I was in favor of fracking based on the promises, but now having seen the reality, it is the worse thing that could happen to our community."

Science aside, this is a REAL experience.

As for the science, there is no way that you can keep a strait face and say that fracturing rock strata, then pumping toxic chemicals into the ground does not come with an increased risk. You might be able to say that you are OK with that risk, but surely, if you put away your own partisan kool-aid, for just a minute, you can understand that there are two sides to this and that people have legitimate concerns that are best mitigated by addressing them, rather than dismissing them, or worse, making it a felony to even discuss them.... Can you at least give us that much?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

As for the science, there is no way that you can keep a strait face and say that fracturing rock strata, then pumping toxic chemicals into the ground does not come with an increased risk. You might be able to say that you are OK with that risk, but surely, if you put away your own partisan kool-aid, for just a minute, you can understand that there are two sides to this and that people have legitimate concerns that are best mitigated by addressing them, rather than dismissing them, or worse, making it a felony to even discuss them.... Can you at least give us that much?

Can't rep you again, but yes. This.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It also "could" be the result of gophers tunnelling.

So here is some REAL info on fracking. While in Texas, meeting with some VERY conservative clients of mine (they make their living on oil and gas), their take on Fracking was this: "We were promised lots of money and wealth, and didn't see any of it, all we got is broken roads, dust everywhere, destruction of our land (as in the way strip-mining looks), and not much else. I was in favor of fracking based on the promises, but now having seen the reality, it is the worse thing that could happen to our community."

Science aside, this is a REAL experience.

Very well said. I would like to add that it would also be nice if people would stop insulting everyone who disagrees with you. It is possible to debate a point without name calling, we are all adults here, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary