Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 01:53 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
This is the only thing that matters right now.
Heck, I figured you had yours on a 15 minute interval on a timed switch, R-Dub.

https://youtu.be/W8GRQHsAVjI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 01:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
LOL. R-Dub.

Brb finding timer.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:46 PM

288 posts, read 361,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
My comments were relative to latency. Bandwidth and loss are different issues. That was about all the detail I could stand typing on my phone

Depending on the application, users can be concerned with one aspect more than the others.

Maybe trivial to some, but Financial trading markets can be very focused on minimizing latency as trading profits can be very time sensitive. That can sometimes run counter to the normal network design criteria.

But the point was that, as a general rule, I think many folks (not RDUBiker) often believe that shorter pings and higher bandwidths work hand in hand because we use words like "faster". Indeed, higher bandwidth may drive a faster screen refresh but it doesn't drive faster ping times.

Another trivia point - some of the first optical fiber telecom systems in the US were designed in Raleigh including the first singlemode US system to carry live customer traffic in the US - can you imagine 90Mbps! . A fair amount of early WDM (Wavelength Division Multiplexing) work was also done in Raleigh ... all in the '82-'84 timeframe ... and the first optical self healing "rings" were also designed in this area. ATT/Bell Labs gets lots of deserved credit, but a couple of Triangle companies played a significant role too.

Extreme still running 35/6 up/down here ... pretty consistently.

Frank
I still think that you are sending out a slightly confusing message regarding network speed. For example, I have 20 Mbps Earthlink service. If I view a traffic graph of the interface connected to my cable modem, I can see the link max-out for brief periods when I'm streaming HD content to multiple devices, and simultaneously see ping response times increase a bit. This is the first kind of latency that people should want to reduce/eliminate, and these higher bandwidth connections are the solution.

Once the bandwidth bottleneck at the home is removed, people should start taking a closer look at latency differences between providers, as well as peering links, and I actually think that gigabit broadband will expose a lot of these weaknesses in service provider backbones.

I just wouldn't ever want to downplay the benefits of having lots of bandwidth at the home. People should want these faster speeds even if there are some latency issues to start out with.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:46 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Let's see if this version formats better ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I still think that you are sending out a slightly confusing message regarding network speed. For example, I have 20 Mbps Earthlink service. If I view a traffic graph of the interface connected to my cable modem, I can see the link max-out for brief periods when I'm streaming HD content to multiple devices, and simultaneously see ping response times increase a bit. This is the first kind of latency that people should want to reduce/eliminate, and these higher bandwidth connections are the solution.
--------
Normal network behavior here - the network gets congested (maxed out) so latency (delay) increases. Four Netflix HD streams could certainly get close to your Earthlink service limit.

Latency versus Bandwidth - What is it? DSL FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information
-----------

Once the bandwidth bottleneck at the home is removed, people should start taking a closer look at latency differences between providers, as well as peering links, and I actually think that gigabit broadband will expose a lot of these weaknesses in service provider backbones.

--------
I'd worry more about the backbone bandwidth capabilities if I thought I needed those speeds. For example, commercial providers typically provide Service Level Agreements for latency, throughput, availability, time to restore and other metrics because they can be important depending on the application. As an example, a satellite link of any bandwidth will provide enough latency (propagation delay) that simple voice interactions become stilted. Other apps that are not real time dependent will suffer much less. So will a fiber based 1 Gig connection with a 35 millisecond ping work appreciably worse than a 1 Gig fiber connection with a 60 millisecond ping? It depends on the application. A few might, but I'm not worried.
--------

I just wouldn't ever want to downplay the benefits of having lots of bandwidth at the home. People should want these faster speeds even if there are some latency issues to start out with.

------
It depends. We upgraded from Standard to Extreme via the latest TW promotion. Speedtest confirms that my bandwidth essentially doubled. To be honest, as I expected, my "experience" hasn't really changed with the upgrade. My wife and I work at home (she moves fairly large CAD files, I type trivia on City Data), we have TW phone and stream HD files via Netflix (which is obviously the only real test we provide). Now if we streamed multiple HD videos at the same time - then the extra bandwidth would be helpful as you can see on your network. I don't doubt some folks will benefit from a Gig connection, but I won't in my existing habits.
-------

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 07-14-2015 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 PM

71 posts, read 99,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Go to http://192.168.100.1 and hit the Signal tab. There you'll see your downstream and upstream channels.
so downstream should be 8 and upstream 4?

Old 07-14-2015, 07:35 PM

288 posts, read 361,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Normal network behavior here - the network gets congested (maxed out) so latency (delay) increases. Four Netflix HD streams could certainly get close to your Earthlink service limit.
When I start a single Netflix HD stream, all of my downstream bandwidth is consumed for several seconds during buffering. See attached graph:

TWC customers in Raleigh will see free speed increases-traffic-graph.jpg

At the same time, I see latency increase by around 100ms. See attached ping output:

TWC customers in Raleigh will see free speed increases-latency.jpg

As the streaming continues, I see brief spikes in downstream bandwidth with corresponding latency spikes. The intermittent latency increases with multiple HD streams.

You probably experience the same thing and just don't notice, but brief slowdowns are actually occurring. Faster broadband connections will reduce this routine latency that most people don't know how to identify.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 PM

300 posts, read 973,273 times
300/20 is live in West Cary!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
300/20 is live in West Cary!
reboot modem?

Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
Just rebooted. It ain't 200/20 but close!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 PM

just rebooted and still getting 37/6 on 30/5 plan in Apex near beaver creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary