Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are relocating to the Raleigh area in May of 2016 and are just starting to research the Catholic schooling options for our four children. I was surprised to read many negative reviews of TFS in Raleigh. Several noted that the bullying problem there is quite an issue and that there are a few elite families who 'run the school' and whose kids get away with everything. I realize no school is perfect, but certainly not the comments I expected to read. We are coming from a strong Catholic parish in the Chicago area where this is absolutely not the case.

Does anyone have experience with this school? I'd hate to shell out that kind of cash to put my children into a possibly toxic environment but just can't believe this can be the case based on my own experience and that of my kids' with Catholic schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
My son has been at The Franciscan School since Kindergarten (he will be a rising 4th grader this year). We have yet to experience any bullying at the school and have nothing but good things to say about it He has many friends who attend the school with whom we are friends and I've never heard any concerns such as the ones you are raising. I have no idea who the "elite" families are, but we haven't bumped into them nor have we experienced anything that would suggest they exist.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,206,328 times
I'm guessing that you went to greatschools.org

and with 2 reviews that could have been written by the same person that talk about bullying, among about 400 families at any one time over a period of years, that those 2 "reviews" stood out.

unhappy people complain, happy people don't often bother extolling the virtues of something in public. it's the old maxim - please 10 and 1 will tout you; make 1 really mad and they'll tell 10 people.

I'm neither Catholic nor have any relationship at TFS beyond a few people I know that are or have been happy there. And given their overall background, I don't know that they'd be the "power families" some unhappy person complained about.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,736 times
Several good friends of mine have kids there and love it.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:11 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,473 times
My son went there for a transitional preschool class before starting kindergarten. We all loved it and already miss his teachers. If we were Catholic and had the money for a "private" school, we would have kept him at TFS. It does seem like a close knit group of people that attend the church and school. I would imagine all schools these days have bullies, sadly.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times
Thanks everyone! I thought the same thing about perhaps a couple of people writing more than one negative review. It was just jarring to see how many times this issue was raised. It really seems, on paper anyway, like a good option for us so I'm glad to hear of positive experiences. We will be visiting in November.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 PM

544 posts, read 852,272 times
Just make sure you budget enough time to get in and out of all the school/commuter traffic in the morning. Just kidding. Sort of. Not really.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:16 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
Just make sure you budget enough time to get in and out of all the school/commuter traffic in the morning. Just kidding. Sort of. Not really.
Hopefully the Leesville Rd. widening will help - the current traffic is pretty bad during morning rush hour.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 PM

379 posts, read 517,618 times
I too saw those reviews of the school but was not deterred. You have to take online reviews with a grain of salt these days. We have a family member who has her son enrolled there and is very happy with the place. We toured the school twice and attended mass there on several occaisions and we like it very much. We enrolled our son there and he will be starting next month. Bullying can happen anywhere. You just hope the school deals with it correctly when it does happen.

Last edited by Tomitillo26; 07-21-2015 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,560 times
I know a few families whose children attend there. It seems like a great school and the families I know are very happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary