Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,894 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to relocate to Raleigh from Miami, Fl. I'm in my late 20's and have lived in Miami my whole life and I'm looking for something new (town vibe, seasons, etc.)

I've done research and I'm going to visit in Sept to make sure I like the place in person, I've only been to Charlotte.

I have a roommate lined up (sorority sister) and we're trying to live close to Downtown. Shes lived in Cary and her parents live in Raleigh and we both think it would be a good idea to be close to all the action.

Can anyone recommend any safe and affordable apartments/townhouses. We're actually looking into townhouses but really trying to find a place with 2 rooms equal or as close to equal as possible. Usually with 2/2s there's a master and then an additional room. We're trying to keep rent 1400/1500 between the 2 of us.

Also I'm going to try a find a job while I'm there. I've applied to various places but my resume does say I'm from Miami which I've heard that can be a problem. So I'm going to hit up the malls and hopefully speak to store managers and drop off resumes since I have retail management experience. My parents have offered to help financially with the move, I was laid off back in Jan., I just need a job so I can make all this happen.

Any info anyone can provide would be awesome! Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
I can't answer your questions, but my wife and I are from Miami originally and love it here. People are much nicer, much lower stress, etc. It's just a damn fine place to live. Hope you like it and welcome.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Simply because there isn't a ton of housing stock downtown, I think you'll struggle to find anything in your budget in downtown. If you expand your search out a little bit outwards toward Cameron Village and Glenwood South you can still be within walking distance of downtown (if you're ambitious) and walk to lots of other good stuff. Check out Bishop's Park and Cameron Village, although CV is a neighborhood, largely composed of townhouses, condos, and apartments. Actually, if you could find work in one of the CV stores, you would really be set up well. Best of luck!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Remove your place of residence from your resume.

Might I suggest that you consider moving in with your new roommate for awhile, so that:

1. you can make sure you "room" well together and. .

2. you can look around together to find a new place for both of you.

Welcome and the place is what you make of it!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schauri View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to relocate to Raleigh from Miami, Fl. I'm in my late 20's and have lived in Miami my whole life and I'm looking for something new (town vibe, seasons, etc.)

I've done research and I'm going to visit in Sept to make sure I like the place in person, I've only been to Charlotte.

I have a roommate lined up (sorority sister) and we're trying to live close to Downtown. Shes lived in Cary and her parents live in Raleigh and we both think it would be a good idea to be close to all the action.

Can anyone recommend any safe and affordable apartments/townhouses. We're actually looking into townhouses but really trying to find a place with 2 rooms equal or as close to equal as possible. Usually with 2/2s there's a master and then an additional room. We're trying to keep rent 1400/1500 between the 2 of us.

Also I'm going to try a find a job while I'm there. I've applied to various places but my resume does say I'm from Miami which I've heard that can be a problem. So I'm going to hit up the malls and hopefully speak to store managers and drop off resumes since I have retail management experience. My parents have offered to help financially with the move, I was laid off back in Jan., I just need a job so I can make all this happen.

Any info anyone can provide would be awesome! Thank you so much
What kind of action are you looking for? This isn't South Beach. I moved from Ft Lauderdale in 2000 when I was newly married and just starting a family. It's been a great fit for us in this phase of life. From what I hear, nightlife is getting better here but you may have to adjust your expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary