Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 8,161 times

Advertisements

Young professional looking for apartment, condo or townhouse but it must be in Durham County. What is important to me? Diversity, clean updated unit, safety, quiet but not rural, professional, good food, small businesses, family owned shops & restaurants, clean, walkable area.

I am in Michigan but used to live in Wake County, love Charlotte but have to be in Durham county. Can you help me? Zip codes, property names.....please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 PM

30 posts, read 53,791 times
Hey bud,
I'm moving there in 2 weeks and from my wife experience and a few friend that live in Durham, it appears that 27713 zip code is the place to be live in. As for apartments, it depends on your needs and expectations. WE visited back in July, (UNC-Job Offer)and so far we still have to do more research on what we want from a location. We are looking at condos and town houses so it varies on your needs again. I suggest take a trip and explore or stay at the local hotels for a week while you make up your mind.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
A lot of people like the SW Durham area — couldn't tell you the zip code, we don't go by that as far as areas of town(s) here — but more or less near The Streets at Southpoint mall. There is a lot of new construction over there. Woodcroft is mostly single family homes, but is also another popular area. Downtown Durham is where the "hipsters" hang. I actually have several acquaintances who live there and love it. You'll find lots of local businesses and restaurants down there, but maybe a little more grittiness. It's really not that gritty, though, just less gritty than Southpoint.

However you can live in the eastern portion of Chapel Hill and still live in Durham County, too. There's not really one best area in Durham. You'll have to come down and drive around and see what works best for you.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
A lot of people like the SW Durham area — couldn't tell you the zip code, we don't go by that as far as areas of town(s) here — but more or less near The Streets at Southpoint mall. There is a lot of new construction over there. Woodcroft is mostly single family homes, but is also another popular area. Downtown Durham is where the "hipsters" hang. I actually have several acquaintances who live there and love it. You'll find lots of local businesses and restaurants down there, but maybe a little more grittiness. It's really not that gritty, though, just less gritty than Southpoint.

However you can live in the eastern portion of Chapel Hill and still live in Durham County, too. There's not really one best area in Durham. You'll have to come down and drive around and see what works best for you.
SW Durham=new suburban, sprawl, chain restaurants, new and newer (10-15 year old) construction, traffic, drive everywhere

Central/downtown Durham=old neighborhoods, local restaurants, parks, farmers market, Duke, walkable

North Durham=old suburban, 30-50 year old neighborhoods with some newer mixed in, mix of chain and local restaurants, Eno River, mostly a drive around area.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM

190 posts, read 276,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlepine View Post
Hey bud,
I'm moving there in 2 weeks and from my wife experience and a few friend that live in Durham, it appears that 27713 zip code is the place to be live in. As for apartments, it depends on your needs and expectations. WE visited back in July, (UNC-Job Offer)and so far we still have to do more research on what we want from a location. We are looking at condos and town houses so it varies on your needs again. I suggest take a trip and explore or stay at the local hotels for a week while you make up your mind.
27713 is all sprawl and close to the opposite of what s/he's looking for.

If you're breaking it down by zipcodes I'd much more recommend looking 27701, 27705 & 27707. I would rather live in 27704 & 27703 than 27713 as well.

There's been a lot of new condo/apartment development around Downtown, East Campus & University Hospital in the last decade. Erwin Rd, Main St & Chapel Hill St. They will cost you more though.

I have no experience or advice with any of them, but Crescent @ Ninth St fills all your boxes. You have 3 grocery stores within walking distance, areas to run or be outside (East Campus Wall, Hillandale Golf Course, & Oval Park), and a lot of independent shops and restaurants on 9th & Broad.

There are a few bars nearby but it never gets loud or crazy even when Duke students are in. The Pride Parade is probably the most packed you'll see the area.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 8,161 times
Thank you for giving me a lot more insight

Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
SW Durham=new suburban, sprawl, chain restaurants, new and newer (10-15 year old) construction, traffic, drive everywhere

Central/downtown Durham=old neighborhoods, local restaurants, parks, farmers market, Duke, walkable

North Durham=old suburban, 30-50 year old neighborhoods with some newer mixed in, mix of chain and local restaurants, Eno River, mostly a drive around area.
And Southeast Durham = BEWARE.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
Check out the brand new apartments (condos?) that have been built on the corner of W. Main Street and Ninth St. area. Easy walk to the shops and restaurants on Ninth Street and Broad Street, a huge, brand new Harris Teeter grocery store, Whole Foods is a couple hundreds yards away, and you can hop on the free Bull City shuttle to go to all of the bars, restaurants, shops and farmers market along Main St. and downtown Durham-- or ride a bike there.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:00 PM

190 posts, read 276,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And Southeast Durham = BEWARE.
There are plenty of nice areas in Southeast.

I think the main reason it has such a poor reputation is because many only experience it if they're around Central or Durham Tech. It's not the prettiest area and has an industrial feel to it, but the other issue is that McDougald Terrace is situated right between the two campuses. I don't know if it's still the case but at one point the Mac was the largest housing project in NC & and it dominates the landscape/feel of the area. It's huge and has had a big problem with crime. A 18 y.o. kid was killed there Sunday morning. Sad.

We need affordable housing in Durham and DHA is notoriously bad at handling these things, but change has been needed there for a long, long time. Few Gardens wasn't handled perfectly but the area is much better after it was torn down.

Ellis Rd is an example in SE & is a beautiful part of Durham IMO and I love the older neighborhoods there. It's quiet, affordable & conveniently located in the Triangle. Plenty of other nice spots in the area.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
There are plenty of nice areas in Southeast.

I think the main reason it has such a poor reputation is because many only experience it if they're around Central or Durham Tech. It's not the prettiest area and has an industrial feel to it, but the other issue is that McDougald Terrace is situated right between the two campuses. I don't know if it's still the case but at one point the Mac was the largest housing project in NC & and it dominates the landscape/feel of the area. It's huge and has had a big problem with crime. A 18 y.o. kid was killed there Sunday morning. Sad.

We need affordable housing in Durham and DHA is notoriously bad at handling these things, but change has been needed there for a long, long time. Few Gardens wasn't handled perfectly but the area is much better after it was torn down.

Ellis Rd is an example in SE & is a beautiful part of Durham IMO and I love the older neighborhoods there. It's quiet, affordable & conveniently located in the Triangle. Plenty of other nice spots in the area.
Yes, there are some decent spots, but I was responding to a very "Generalities" post where they said "Central Durham = A, SW Durham = B", etc. Anyone discussing Durham in such general terms would not argue that the Southeastern quadrant is the one to be wary of, at least south and west of 70/85. And even areas that are fine now are in danger of "creep" heading their way--a friend of mine is moving her parents who have lived in East Durham for 50 years because the "worry zone" is spreading out Holloway/98.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary