Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times

Advertisements

Sat Sri Akaal

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Hanging Rock State Park

http://www.townofcary.org/Department...e_Preserve.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 PM

84 posts, read 131,880 times
Wow! :-)

My world has come alive with this post.
Will treasure this one until I have been to all of them :-D

@JQ: Ji aaya noon and yes, SSA !!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 AM

311 posts, read 888,016 times
Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park in Scotland Neck. Might be pushing the mileage limit, but a wonderful place! Child friendly to boot (playground & picnic area, feed the parakeets).

Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 AM

143 posts, read 201,745 times
Not quite a day trip, more of an overnighter. But to me the prettiest place in NC is Grandfather Mountain.

GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN : Wonders Never Cease | Towering almost 6,000 feet above Northwest North Carolina, Grandfather Mountain presents guests with opportunities for rejuvenation, excitement and family memories in a natural haven that will endure for g

Old 08-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Looking at Grandfather, I landed a goldmine:
NCDENR - Green Attractions in NC

Cleaning my camera lens already :-)

Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh Saab View Post
Looking at Grandfather, I landed a goldmine:
NCDENR - Green Attractions in NC

Cleaning my camera lens already :-)
If you make a trip near Grandfather Mountain, then there are a lot of other places nearby. Julian Price is really nice, as is Moses Cone and Linville Falls. And the kids will probably love Tweetsie Railroad. There are just so many options once you make it into the Appalachians :-).

Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 PM

650 posts, read 930,122 times

Yes, Hemlock Bluffs is nice right off of Kildaire Farm Road before Penny Road.

There is a little known park that almost mirrors the location of Hemlock Bluffs. It is on Holly Springs Road (parallel to Kildaire). It almost shares the parking lot with a waste station pump at the base of the switch back hill curves going up to Penny Road intersection. The switch back used to have a name of RamKat Ally years ago when I was in college.

It is a Nature Conservancy park. It is unmanned and you will probably be the only ones there. Great for a dog! This time of year have a stick/switch in you hand as you walk, otherwise you're gonna get a spider web facial in 100% humidity heat. <shiver>

I live 5 minutes from there and have spent many weekend mornings eating a biscuit with my wife, my Lab and the occasional snake who chose to sun on a log over the river water in a sunny spot.

HTH

Old 08-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Any special ones around here, for the fall colors, now that it is on anvil?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,427 times
Not sure if it's within 100 miles, but Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock state parks north of Winston-Salem would be good places to visit for fall colors. There is a waterfall at Hanging Rock. Just west of those two parks is Stone Mountain state park with a giant rock face.

South of Morganton (more than 100 miles) is South Mountain state park. great trail around the waterfall there.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Not sure if it's within 100 miles, but Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock state parks north of Winston-Salem would be good places to visit for fall colors. There is a waterfall at Hanging Rock. Just west of those two parks is Stone Mountain state park with a giant rock face.

South of Morganton (more than 100 miles) is South Mountain state park. great trail around the waterfall there.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary