Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:22 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
thank you all for your responses.. and Cary_NC thanks for those numbers. The crazy thing is, it dosen't "look" like the cars are blocking the mailbox, but the mailman said they are within a certain number of feet from it so whatever. It just stinks because they always have overnight guests over (like now) that take over the entire court, so I don't even know where they would move the cars to....I'm not holding my breath for any mail tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!
Again this is going to continue until you do something which is talk to the owners. Are they older or younger? Either way tell them that there friends don't have to go home but they have to get the hell out from in fron of your mailbox. Or park your car there....and move it in the AM. Keep them from doing the parking.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I don't knowif you aware (as I was not as well) but mail people are actually required to deliver their mail in a certain amount of time each day, and that amount if time is determined by the PO for that specific route. If they have to get out of their vehicle for every other house because cars are parked in front it, thereby taking them twice as long to deliver the mail, they don't get paid for the extra time.

From the USPS website:
3.1.4 Clear Approach
Customers must keep the approach to their mailboxes clear of obstructions to allow safe access for delivery. If USPS employees are impeded in reaching a mail receptacle, the postmaster may withdraw delivery service
Yes, this is correct. Imagine if a route has, say, 500 customers, and 200 of the boxes have cars or trashcans in front of them, and the carrier had to get out to deliver-it could take hours more to deliver the mail! If it is a city route (i.e. the carrier wears a uniform) then he/she is paid hourly, he/she HAS to be done in the time alotted. The routes are timed assuming clear access to the mailboxes. The reason that there is a rule of a certain number of feet to be clear is, there has to be room to maneuver the postal vehicle up to the box.

Myself, I'd call the police non-emergency line and explain what is going on. Perhaps a warning from them would cure your neighbors parking issues.

Last edited by wanderintonc; 12-24-2007 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-24-2007, 05:03 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
I live on a cul-de-sac and my neighbors constantly park in front of my house and mailbox. The mailman has refused to deliver our mail when they are parked out there. We just moved here, and have already had to speak to them about thier kids digging holes in our front yard, so we are reluctant to complain about this to them, and the mailman won't say anything to them either--we just never know when we will get our mail. It's frustrating because I work from home, and my paychecks are mailed out to me, so I never can be sure when I will get paid, and sometimes my checks are returned! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I can't find any info on the laws regarding Durham residential street parking, are people allowed to park anywhere they want in the street, even if they are blocking someone's mailbox? Please Help!!!!!
We had that issue here in FL and the city posted No Parking signs around the cul de sacs. See if there is a link to the GIS mapping system on your city's website. Ours shows the public streets a different color than the private streets. If a public street, I would seek assistance from your councilman/woman to get the signs up pronto.

We had mail delivery stopped, a special needs bus could not pick up a disabled guy, an 80YO church organist could not maneuver out of her driveway to get to church and had to wake a neighbor to help.

We still have the problem, but call the police to have cars ticketed any time, day or night. (find someone with an old dog with a small bladder...I sometimes am out at 1:30 am, 4:40am and always have my cell phone with me.) After a few tickets are issued, the problem dies down for a while. But if the signs are never enforced, the signs don't mean anything.

In Florida, if a private street, they can be towed if there is the proper signage up.... Been there, done that, too.... that's one plus to an HOA, the board takes the heat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary