Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,428 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to the Chapel Hill area from Providence RI. I have lived in RI for about 12 years and find that it is lifeless, backward, and provincial. The triangle area appeals to me for many reasons. Being in my fifties, a single female -- where do you think would be a good place that I could find a small rental to get started...and i have dogs and birds. I would like to be able to walk into town and have been thinking about Hillsboro as well. I'm selling my house here but don't want to buy down there until I'm sure where I'd like to live. I work from my home and have no kids in schools so a commute and school district don't matter. Any suggestions where I should get my start? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:59 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
If you find Providence lifeless, backward and provincial, I don't think you are going to find Chapel Hill a good fit.

Providence - Brown, RISD, Thayer St, Federal Hill, some of the best restaurants in the country, Water Place Park/Waterfire, proximity to Narragansett, Point Judith, Newport and 50 miles from Boston. 3 hours to NYC

Chapel Hill - UNC, Franklin St (smaller than Thayer St with few shops, some really good restaurants in Durham and Raleigh. 30 - 40 min from Raleigh which is a bit like Providence, 20 min to Durham (Duke). Lots of educated folks.

You said the Triangle appeals to you for many reasons...what are they?
I am from Providence, husband from Newport and we have lived in the Triangle for 6-1/2 years. Love it here but because the pace is slower, more laid back.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 3,428 times
Thanks, ljd1010, for your feedback! The reason the triangle area appeals to me is because it seems that it is a thriving area with educated, forward-thinking people and a nice lifestyle with nice weather. I'm not looking for tons of stuff to do every minute, but it just seems that RI is not thriving and is focused on its lack. The fact that Brown, RISD and other colleges are here doesn't seem to trickle down to the basic communities.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggytailscupcake View Post
Thanks, ljd1010, for your feedback! The reason the triangle area appeals to me is because it seems that it is a thriving area with educated, forward-thinking people and a nice lifestyle with nice weather. I'm not looking for tons of stuff to do every minute, but it just seems that RI is not thriving and is focused on its lack. The fact that Brown, RISD and other colleges are here doesn't seem to trickle down to the basic communities.
1. Try the governor and legislature for backward thinking
2. Weather can be awful in both Summer and Winter
3. Awful poorly designed roads
4. Taxes getting worse by the minute
5. Lots of ability to work for less with a safety net gutted by legislature

Think hard before you decide this area is an improvement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary