Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:08 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
As I understand it, the lens segment height measurement has to be done for each frame when worn by each individual. Getting measurements at my optometrist's office is not suppose to work unless I have the specific frame with me. Are others finding something else works for them?
I use progressive lenses, and I have been happy with several pair I bought online from Coastal.com . I just give them my pupil distance and the prescription. You can measure the PD yourself by wearing glasses and looking in a mirror and marking the lens with a marker.

There may be a trick to the height, but I just buy the tallest frames I like. I tend to read a lot and use the computer, so I need depth in the lower part of the lens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:08 PM

307 posts, read 672,915 times
Who can make a pair while you wait?

I've heard of zenni, and everything I've heard has been good.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
Who can make a pair while you wait?

I've heard of zenni, and everything I've heard has been good.
Around here? LensCrafters.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:51 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I've been wearing Costco eyeglasses for 20+ years, multiple pairs, with no issues.
Agreed. Same with DH. And I've shopped online for the same designer frames that I buy with the same progressive lenses, Costco prices come out better each and every time, with a far better return policy and follow up. Coastal was higher priced for the Identical frame and lenses.

I'll be shopping at lenscrafters around the same time I agree to psy extra for an airplane seat in first class. Read: never. I spend mobey, but rarely waste it.

DH doesn't buy designer frames but he is rough on his glasses. Costco backs up their products for him on several occasions when I thought HE was to blame.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Agreed. Same with DH. And I've shopped online for the same designer frames that I buy with the same progressive lenses, Costco prices come out better each and every time, with a far better return policy and follow up. Coastal was higher priced for the Identical frame and lenses.

I'll be shopping at lenscrafters around the same time I agree to psy extra for an airplane seat in first class. Read: never. I spend mobey, but rarely waste it.

DH doesn't buy designer frames but he is rough on his glasses. Costco backs up their products for him on several occasions when I thought HE was to blame.
I'm not a huge fan of LensCrafters either. I've only used them for stuff like times when I needed glasses immediately because mine broke and I had no spare.

I will, however, fly first class for most flights. I pay for it later (spine/disc issues) if I fold myself into coach for any flight over about an hour and a half.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
Can anyone elaborate on whether these locations will allow you to bring your own frames? I already know that LensCrafters will not.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Update - suggest getting PD in person rather than using online tools to estimate and ordering online - I estimated and I think that's why both pairs of my glasses are awful to wear. I must have gotten the PD wrong.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Update - suggest getting PD in person rather than using online tools to estimate and ordering online - I estimated and I think that's why both pairs of my glasses are awful to wear. I must have gotten the PD wrong.
I've never had a problem with getting an optometrist to give me my prescription and a pupil measurement for online ordering - I've even done so months after an exam when I needed to order a new pair of glasses and had lost my information. (I typically go to Eye Care Associates for my exams).

Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Can anyone elaborate on whether these locations will allow you to bring your own frames? I already know that LensCrafters will not.
Costco will, but I believe they charge $20 if it's a frame that they don't sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary