Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Destinations?
Wilmington/Brunswick County (NC beaches) 3 9.68%
Emerald Isle/Morehead City area (NC beaches) 3 9.68%
Outer Banks (NC beaches) 3 9.68%
Asheville and surrounding areas (NC mountains 0 0%
Boone and surrounding areas (NC mountains) 2 6.45%
Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle, SC 4 12.90%
South Carolina Lowcountry, Charleston area/Hilton Head 1 3.23%
Williamsburg area, Virginia. Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Jamestown. 1 3.23%
Richmond area, Virginia. Kings Dominion. 0 0%
Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads region of Virginia 0 0%
Washington, DC 1 3.23%
Mountains of Virginia or West Virginia 0 0%
Atlanta, Georgia 0 0%
Savannah, Georgia 1 3.23%
Other 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times

Advertisements

The Grand Strand of South Carolina. It has something for everybody...all ages. Many, many families from the Triangle vacation there every summer...spring, fall and winter too. My second home is in the Cherry Grove section. I just returned from there a few minutes ago. I'm already dying to get back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM

168 posts, read 350,043 times
We know a lot of people that head down to the Grand Strand as well, especially those that have family members who aren't really into the beach as there is lots of other things to do as well. I prefer Wrightsville myself but my husband is not a beach person and is an avid golfer so MB it is.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
MB is actually very popular with people coming from up north. We never made it there till we had moved here, and once was more than enough. The past two summers we've gone to Wrightsville. We are not big on the beach, so once a summer and staying in a hotel who can deal with the sand and other mess works for us! We are looking forward to hitting some other places like Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Y'all need to get out of the area!! We were going to go to St. Thomas this next week but it's supposed to rain every day! Instead we are going to Sedona with maybe a trip into Vegas for a day. In the past we've been to the DR and Cayman Islands as well. We did do a 3 day trip to Ashville last spring, we did enjoy it but it wasn't "vacation-y" enough for us.

Life's too short to vacation nearby where you live!

Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I have a second home at the beach in NORTH Carolina! We aren't too far from Myrtle but only go there if the weather is rainy or we feel like shopping at the Outlets or Broadway at the Beach. And, since we have a place there, we don't go to the OXB anymore, like we used to.

The beach and the mountains are great for weekend trips. If I NEVER go to Williamsburg AGAIN, it will be ok with me! That is one of hubby's favorites and I have been there wayyyyyyyyyyy too many times. Same for the Alamo in Texas!

If we have a week, we enjoy going much further. We've been to Australia, California, Colorado, St. Lucia, The Bahamas, etc.

Jet Blue flies straight to Ft. Lauderdale so that is good for a long weekend (son & daughter-in-law live there).

Takes 6.5 hours to get to St. Augustine. Other son used to live there. Again, a long weekend trip.

Forgot to add...we like to go to some of the Fall Festivals in the Mtns. for a weekend trip, as well. Mt. Airy has a great one. And some of the small towns around have fun festivals too. We used to go to Cameron twice a year for their antique festivals.

The world is a big place but not everyone enjoys being away from home for long periods of time.

For some, Myrtle Beach is as far as they will go! Strange, I know but I have friends that think that way.

Last edited by VickiR; 11-09-2014 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add...

Old 11-09-2014, 12:41 PM

750 posts, read 853,828 times
You guys need to get to the UK.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:32 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
You guys need to get to the UK.
That's where we go on vacation. (To see family that dont fly) AND to see Big Ben, my sons favorite thing in the world!

Old 11-09-2014, 01:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
Regarding vacationing outside North Carolina:

South Carolina- I think most can agree that the SC coast is extremely popular. MANY of my high school friends went to North Myrtle on their spring breaks, and that might be the same case with Chapel Hill or NC State kids. My grandma has a house down in North Myrtle, she's a NC native and most of her neighbors are from the Triangle region. Whenever I'm down there, I see just as many NC license plates as SC. Myrtle is kind of THE vacation destination of the Carolinas, located right on the state line. The Charleston area also seems like a popular choice, along with Hilton Head. That's about it for South Carolina, little reason for most to visit the state with the exception of the coast.

Georgia- To me, I feel like most people have been to Atlanta at least once. I think it's a popular destination for school trips, like high school bands playing in the Georgia Dome. Six Flags over Georgia, the Aquarium, the CNN center, and Coca-Cola World would be the top destinations. 5-6 hours from the Triangle, so perfect for a long weekend trip. Savannah is even closer to Raleigh than Atlanta. Hop on I-95, only takes a little less than 5 hours. Plus, barely any traffic like you'd hit around Charlotte and the SC upstate if you're heading to Atlanta. In this case, I feel like Savannah is the most popular destination in Georgia for folks around the Triangle. However, I could be wrong.

Virginia/DC- Again, I feel like a trip up to the Williamsburg area or Kings Dominion is a popular destination for school trips. Williamsburg offers Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and Jamestown. This area is perfect for a weekend trip, and it isn't terribly far at all. Personally, I like to visit Virginia for the history. The Triangle is roughly an hour south of the Virginia border, so I love taking day trips to Virginia. I visit Richmond for all the Civil War history, but I can't say it's the same story for most folks around the Triangle. Same with Charlottesville, beautiful area with loads of history. Skiing is big in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia, I know for a fact that some folks go up there for that reason. That's about it for Virginia. DC, most have been, only 4 and a half hours north of Raleigh. This is one of the more popular weekend trip destinations for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's too common for Triangle folks to vacation/visit north of DC, a bit too far for a weekend trip. Virginia Beach isn't that far, but it seems like no one goes which isn't a surprise. Same story with the Tennessee mountains. NC does border TN to the west, but most folks stay in the NC mountains. Tennessee is also pretty far from the Triangle area in general.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 11-09-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 02:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
JayJay, you could make a city-data poll if you like. It would be pretty unscientific, but might be fun. I don't know anyone that goes to Myrtle, but obviously a lot of people do or it wouldn't be as popular as it is. The folks I know just go to other beaches and don't like all that touristy stuff.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:26 PM

750 posts, read 853,828 times
I'm finding this thread really interesting since we are new to the area. But was wondering why people don't travel further away for vacations? Eg Canada, Hawaii, Europe or even places like Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary