Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 05:12 AM

11 posts, read 16,523 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was hoping for some input!

My boyfriend and I are about 90% sure we are moving to Raleigh in this coming summer. We just came back from a trip there and loved it. His brother lives close to 5 points. All of my boyfriend's work will most likely be in the downtown area. Can anyone suggest a a lively, young neighborhood within 15 or so minutes of Downtown?
Are there any areas walking distance to shopping/a gym?

I am also a teacher and will be starting to look for a job in that area...any suggestions on school districts?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 AM

116 posts, read 173,107 times
We need more details! What's your budget? Housing near downtown is fairly pricey. But Cameron Village comes to mind, as well as the area around North Hills, though with traffic, that would probably be more like 20 minutes or more to downtown, depending on where you're going.

Definitely check out the relocation thread--that will be helpful. There is only one school district in Raleigh because it's county-wide. It's not like how things are in NY. We moved from Poughkeepsie 5 years ago and love it here. Definitely do your research though. It's not as inexpensive to live here as it might come across. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,500,035 times
As a teacher from NY...be ready for your salary and benefits to be cut in half in NC. Just a fair warning.

If you are coming from the NYC area; your cost of living will probably be significantly lower too; but if you are coming from Upstate NY the COL will be about the same or higher here.

This region is large and not really centered around any particular area. With the exception of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro school district; all of our school districts are county-wide. If your boyfriend is working in DT Raleigh and you end up living around Cameron Village....you wouldn't want to teach in Chapel Hill, Durham, Wake Forest, Holly Springs..etc.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
What's your budget? Agree with the others re: teaching, the COL here, etc.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:03 AM

79 posts, read 79,728 times
Following this thread as your situation is similar to ours. I think we may want to move there next summer, I'm in tech, husband's in teaching, and we're looking for somewhere interesting (hopefully with stuff walkable nearby) to settle somewhere in the Research Triangle. I'll open my own post soon too but this one is too similar to ours (except we're from Philly)!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
You should know that school districts in NC are county-based, and Wake county (Raleigh) is something like the 16th-largest school district in the US, with over 100K students....this isn't NY where every little town and "hamlet" has its own school district. Google "wake county schools" and search this forum for A LOT of talk about the teaching situation in NC. You COULD live in Raleigh and work in a neighboring county; get a map and check out the distances and how far you'd be willing to commute. What subject area do you teach, and how many years of experience? Many teachers are actually leaving NC because the pay is so low and the working conditions unpleasant, and other districts such as Houston are hosting job fairs here to "poach" NC teachers. Just something to be aware of if you thought this was going to be The Promised Land...

Most of the neighborhoods downtown would fall into your "lively/young" definition, but may be too expensive on a teacher's salary, depending on what your sig other does.

Please read the "stickied" thread at the top of this forum about General Questions for someone moving to the area; moderators took a lot of time to compile those oft-asked questions into one handy thread.

Really, you will want to come down on a scouting trip before deciding where to live, once you know where at least one of you will be working. If you have a brother here, ask his opinions and send him looking around for you!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentP View Post
We need more details! What's your budget? Housing near downtown is fairly pricey. But Cameron Village comes to mind, as well as the area around North Hills, though with traffic, that would probably be more like 20 minutes or more to downtown, depending on where you're going.

Definitely check out the relocation thread--that will be helpful. There is only one school district in Raleigh because it's county-wide. It's not like how things are in NY. We moved from Poughkeepsie 5 years ago and love it here. Definitely do your research though. It's not as inexpensive to live here as it might come across. Good luck!
Our budget for renting would be about $1000-1200. I will check out the relocation thread! Thank you!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
As a teacher from NY...be ready for your salary and benefits to be cut in half in NC. Just a fair warning.

If you are coming from the NYC area; your cost of living will probably be significantly lower too; but if you are coming from Upstate NY the COL will be about the same or higher here.

This region is large and not really centered around any particular area. With the exception of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro school district; all of our school districts are county-wide. If your boyfriend is working in DT Raleigh and you end up living around Cameron Village....you wouldn't want to teach in Chapel Hill, Durham, Wake Forest, Holly Springs..etc.

I have been a permanent sub on Long Island for the past 2 years, so I am not making very much at all and I don't have benefits, so a small salary with benefits would be better than what I have now!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You should know that school districts in NC are county-based, and Wake county (Raleigh) is something like the 16th-largest school district in the US, with over 100K students....this isn't NY where every little town and "hamlet" has its own school district. Google "wake county schools" and search this forum for A LOT of talk about the teaching situation in NC. You COULD live in Raleigh and work in a neighboring county; get a map and check out the distances and how far you'd be willing to commute. What subject area do you teach, and how many years of experience? Many teachers are actually leaving NC because the pay is so low and the working conditions unpleasant, and other districts such as Houston are hosting job fairs here to "poach" NC teachers. Just something to be aware of if you thought this was going to be The Promised Land...

Most of the neighborhoods downtown would fall into your "lively/young" definition, but may be too expensive on a teacher's salary, depending on what your sig other does.

Please read the "stickied" thread at the top of this forum about General Questions for someone moving to the area; moderators took a lot of time to compile those oft-asked questions into one handy thread.

Really, you will want to come down on a scouting trip before deciding where to live, once you know where at least one of you will be working. If you have a brother here, ask his opinions and send him looking around for you!
I am certified in childhood education, grades 1-6. I have been a permanent sub on Long Island for the past two years. My plan is to continue my education in NC while hopefully working. I will definitely research the different schools as well as the teaching threads. Thank you! My boyfriend is a fire alarm tech, and from the research that we have done, it looks like he won't be getting too much of a pay cut if we do move down. We are planning another trip in a couple of months!

Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgiovanna29 View Post
I am certified in childhood education, grades 1-6. I have been a permanent sub on Long Island for the past two years. My plan is to continue my education in NC while hopefully working. I will definitely research the different schools as well as the teaching threads. Thank you! My boyfriend is a fire alarm tech, and from the research that we have done, it looks like he won't be getting too much of a pay cut if we do move down. We are planning another trip in a couple of months!
Do be aware that thanks to the current Legislature, teachers no longer get a raise for having a Masters (you mention "continuing your education"). Not that it's not great to get a Masters for many reasons, but if you thought it would help your paycheck--not in NC public schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary