Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

i went there and i hated it. alot of the teachers would tell the students they were stupid and would fail in life and some teachers cursed at students. most of the teachers are also really bad at teaching. There was also a gang fight there when i was in sixth grade and in seventh grade a student set the eighth grade hallway on fire when he was smoking pot and students have been caught with drugs and weapons in their lockers. the school was also on lockdown once and cops with dogs were searching the whole school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
I am going in for an interview to teach at Dillard. Has the atmosphere changed in the past couple of years ?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
AVOID!!! I had two kids in Dillard at one point, my son went there from 4th-8th grade, my daughter for 2nd-4th. The most incompitant staff, ugh, i can't believe i made my kids go to that school and feel bad about it. The principle of the middle school (I won't give her name here, but the initials are TA) was horrible and made the school LOSE its "NC School of Excellance" title. The school is about 60% affluent students from Lochmere and that area, and 40% "bussed in" students from the poorer/ghetto poole road area. At least that's what it was a few years ago. I would strongly suggest either buying in a neighborhood districted to another school, or trying to get your kids into magnet school. We actually moved out of the Dillard School district to the Apex school district but i had my kids use a neighbors address and stay at dillard until my son finished middle school. We regret that every day and wish that we had just sent both of our kids to school in Apex from the get-go.
I completely agree with this post. Dillard schools along with Athens are not good! I had the displeasure of attending Athens and it was terrible. My son went to Dillard for part of Kindergarden (4 years ago) and it was terrible. You'd be ALOT better off moving to an area that feeds into Middle Creek/Westlake schools if you prefer that side of Cary. The western part of Cary/Apex have great schools as well. Just be prepared to live on a smaller lot.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I have several friends with kids in Dillard Drive Elementary and they love it. They also say the middle has improved under new administration and a new principal. Plus, under the new plan, I think the dynamics of the various schools will change. I'd give it a chance and see how it goes if yo're going for an interview.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,296 times
Both Dillard's are terrible schools with some really, really bad teachers. I can count on 1 hand the ones who really put in an effort that truly made a difference. Honestly, the middle school was a nightmare. Worst part was my children lost respect for their teachers. Respect is a two way street. Although they never got in trouble and always got great grades, they voiced their negative opinions to me daily. I was a very active teacher asst. volunteer at Dillard Middle and saw all of the above posters comments first hand. I found it shocking. Student behavior is outrageous and alot of teachers are racist and I don't mean against the black kids. Half the time I think they ignored bad behavior because it was so prevalent. So glad they are finally out of Dillard Middle. My kids were there with the new principal and that "arrogant and never present principal". Although the new principal is a nice guy, the school has the same issues with teachers and students. Beware.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Could not disagree more with these comments. My kids have gone to Dillard for two years now and are excelling in everything they do. The Science classes are interactive, the art class curriculum is very creative and has variety. The middle school dances are well moderated and safe. We attend the open houses each year and the teachers have always been very patient and accommodating with our questions. Sitting at work I never have a concern if my kids are safe.

My one beef is how how un-technically savvy the school is. Updating of the Dillard school website frequently has outdated information on it and it is difficult to navigate. Many teachers are not prompt in their email answering. Most communications to parents are handled by flyers and handouts.

But those are minor honestly. Since my kids are good to begin with (No detentions and Honor Role) and do not cause trouble, there really is not much need for interactivity with staff in my case.

My guess the above comments are from overly sensitive parents when it comes to their kids. My kids love it and we have no complaints at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary