Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,092 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to the Raleigh area due to a job relocation and are looking for some advice on where the best place to find a home would be. We are looking to rent for now so we can get a better feel for the area before buying, but would like to make sure that we rent in a good area for families as we have a couple of young children. We are more concerned about living in a good area than the commute to Raleigh for work.

Can anyone give recommendations on a good area to start our search? What is a good area for elementary schools? Are there some areas that we should avoid that aren't as safe as others? Is there somewhere we can rent that has activities nearby for young children?

As for a house to rent, we would like to find something that is around 2000 sq ft and has room for the kids to play without worrying about traffic. What are the rental rates like in the area? Will be easy to find a house to rent or are there mostly only apartments in the area?

Does anyone know if there are any websites that we can go to for more information about how to find a home to rent?

Any information that you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfam View Post
Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to the Raleigh area due to a job relocation and are looking for some advice on where the best place to find a home would be. We are looking to rent for now so we can get a better feel for the area before buying, but would like to make sure that we rent in a good area for families as we have a couple of young children. We are more concerned about living in a good area than the commute to Raleigh for work.

Can anyone give recommendations on a good area to start our search? What is a good area for elementary schools? Are there some areas that we should avoid that aren't as safe as others? Is there somewhere we can rent that has activities nearby for young children?

As for a house to rent, we would like to find something that is around 2000 sq ft and has room for the kids to play without worrying about traffic. What are the rental rates like in the area? Will be easy to find a house to rent or are there mostly only apartments in the area?

Does anyone know if there are any websites that we can go to for more information about how to find a home to rent?

Any information that you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Try Block & Associates (nchomerentals.com). It seems to me it would be pretty easy to find a rental home in this area. Cary is very family friendly with very good schools. It might be a good place to start.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Our budget allows up to $1600 but we would love to pay around $1000-$1200, is that possible in this area? For a home that is only a few years old?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfam View Post
Our budget allows up to $1600 but we would love to pay around $1000-$1200, is that possible in this area? For a home that is only a few years old?
Looking at Block & Associates (they have interior pictures and tell what schools the house is zoned for), it looks like you might be closer to $1500 for a nice newer home with good schools in Apex/Cary/Morrisville, but you never know. You might find a better deal on craigslist (because the owners aren't having to pay so much to the rental agency) but it just depends on your comfort level with renting directly from an owner.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
An apt would be much less if you choose wisely and you'd get amenities like a pool etc.

Much less deposit and a professional landlord to provide service.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 PM

We talked about getting an apt, but with the kids (and dog) we want to make sure we a yard so they have room to play.

This is why we are looking for advice now so we end up in a good part of town that we don't have to worry about the kids being outside, and can get a feel for the area to buy a home in the future.

sls76 mentioned Cary and Apex as being good areas to start looking. Someone has also mentioned Fuquay-Varina to me, would that be an ideal place to look as well?

Thanks for the help so far!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM

I recommended the Cary area mainly because with a few exceptions it's tough to find schools that aren't very good. Your money will probably go farther in F-V though. Holly Springs is another good option.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
There are several apartment communities that are dog friendly. I believe one in my neighborhood even has a dog park (the Huntington Athletic Club and Apartment Homes of Morrisville).

Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
I think you are better off renting a house. I am currently living in an apartment with my family, awaiting job transfers to Raleigh-and having come from our own home (we sold it awhile ago), it's much more stressful to be in an apartment with kids. And we don't have any pets to deal with.

I think the budget/cost research you did sounds right-I have come to the same conclusions about price. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Our apt community is pet and kid friendly as long as community rules are observed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary