Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 03:28 AM

25 posts, read 28,026 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Cary at the end of the school year and just trying to reach out and see if anyone has insight on sports in Cary? Our oldest daughter is on a traveling team and very invested in playing basketball in high school and beyond. I am assuming in High School in Cary it's a school team but for summer and to get her involved with girls she will be playing with are there good camps, spring/summer travel leagues that anyone has any insight into? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 06:27 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
There's a guy who specializes in coaching girls basketball who runs clinics. I'll get you his information from my DH and DM you later.

Cardinal Gibbons HS has good summer sports camps.

Networks also has programs all over - it's a Christian based program so they do a little prayer circle at the end of their camps so if that bothers you.... we've only done their small kids' programs so I can't speak to the high school level ones they offer.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
For camps, you can't beat the colleges.

Carolina Girls' Basketball Camps

https://dukegirlsbasketballcamp.com

NC State University Official Athletic Site - Women's Basketball

I'm partial to UNC, but they are all good programs.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Great thank you so much. This is all great info to look into. I am partial to UNC too��

Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There's a guy who specializes in coaching girls basketball who runs clinics. I'll get you his information from my DH and DM you later.

Cardinal Gibbons HS has good summer sports camps.

Networks also has programs all over - it's a Christian based program so they do a little prayer circle at the end of their camps so if that bothers you.... we've only done their small kids' programs so I can't speak to the high school level ones they offer.
I would really appreciate his name and contact information- Thank you!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:44 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Oh yeah, how could I forget the college camps. My DD did the one at State last summer. The State girls' basketball coach is actually there running things which was pretty cool. Reynolds Coliseum should actually be air-conditioned by the summer too.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:23 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
When I was coaching many years ago in the 80's and 90's, Campbell University had an excellent camp-no fluff just basketball from morning until night. I saw some amazing transformations! As I remember it filled up very early.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 PM

116 posts, read 254,522 times
Mike Zeillmann, or Coach Z, is who Twingles is referring to. He runs workout sessions year round for girls. He is also the head coach of NC Attack, a good 16U girls team with several players already with college offers. His workout groups are girls who play on a lot of the local AAU, travel or summer league teams so getting involved with him is a great place to learn the local landscape. The college camps are fun, but most serious players also hook up with an aau team by high school age.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf22777 View Post
Mike Zeillmann, or Coach Z, is who Twingles is referring to. He runs workout sessions year round for girls. He is also the head coach of NC Attack, a good 16U girls team with several players already with college offers. His workout groups are girls who play on a lot of the local AAU, travel or summer league teams so getting involved with him is a great place to learn the local landscape. The college camps are fun, but most serious players also hook up with an aau team by high school age.
Thank you for that information! My daughter is with a AAU team right now and that was more the information I was looking for. Wanted to see if Cary had more of the serious harder levels. I did like the looks of the college camps I saw too as add on. I didn't make it as clear as I would of liked so this is very helpful. Thank you!!

Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM

116 posts, read 254,522 times
There are a bunch of AAU options. Just not all in Cary specifically. Who she ends up with depends somewhat on age, fit, school she will play for, etc. Teams are based in Cary, Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, etc., all reasonably close to travel to for practice. Some are programs with multiple teams and some are groups of girls who age up together. Some are better run than others. Some are coached privately and some by a local high school coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary