Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM

168 posts, read 267,562 times

Advertisements

My family is researching moving to the Raleigh area. My hubby is a teacher and I work in higher education administration.

I'm curious whether anyone on the board works at Duke, Chapel Hill or NC State. Are you "happy" there...other than the usual frustrations of working within a bureacracy...I'm used to that! What are the "good" things and "bad" things about working there? At my last institution, the headache was parking and communication from central administration regarding new policies etc. Also, I'm trying to get a sense of the pay scale for mid level management type positions at either institution.

I have 15+ years of higher ed experience so I pretty much know what the university setting is like, I'm looking for "reputation" type things...are they notorious for poor health care plans, are the pay scales reasonable (for higher ed), is the institution growing, are new programs starting up? What's the management culture like? Is there respect for staff at all levels...that kind of thing...the "pulse" of the institution.

Also, what areas do the folks at these institutions live in? Mid-level mgmnt types.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 05:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I worked at nc state for about 5 years before leaving, and prior to working there I went to grad school there.............I was an epa employee (exempt from the state personnel act), which meant better pay (you have to have a master's degree in order to be an epa employee), better leave, but on the flip side they could just fire you, whereas spa (subject to the state personnel act) could not so easily be let go, it was a process, etc). Anyhow, my experience was, for the most part good. The health benefits were good (there were some insurance programs where you didn't have to pay anything), it was primarily blue cross blue shield. The pay raises were not great, but it all depends on the department you were in to tell you the truth. It seemed hard to get raises above the small amounts that the legislature voted to give. But, I had 6 weeks off, plus the university closes for a week at christmas, which is not included in the six weeks off. You can use the gym (which is great, indoor track, swimming pool, racketball courts, weights, rock wall, etc), you can take classes for 7 dollars a semester, which is nice as well. Parking, well, there are definitely a lot of staff parking spaces, and I can't remember what I paid for my parking pass, but it wasn't a lot. Depending on where you are on campus, you are designated a location to park in, which is usually pretty close to your office.

I can't really speak to the teaching side of the university, I worked in disability services for students, and we were a part of the office of equal opportunity on campus, which was a division of the provosts office. It seemed that we had to fight for many many things, but I think most departments did as well.

I think that UNC and NC State would be relatively similar in their working environments since they are both a part of the university wide system. Duke, well, I only did a temporary stint there. I do know that the employees there tried to stay as long as possible because they receive tuition remission for their children to attend colleges in their consortium.

Hope this helps!

Leigh

Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 AM

168 posts, read 267,562 times
Default Thanks

Thanks Leigh,

I've read many of your posts and they've been helpful.

I'm curious about the Masters requirement for epa positions. I've been in epa positions at two institutions over the past 10 yrs and have a bachelors but no masters. Do they take experience into consideration? I've been checking the job postings and quite a few of them will say Masters preferred, Bachelors acceptable with x years of experience.

I know there are always exceptions but sometimes when the state legislature gets involved there is less flexibility.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:57 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
To be honest, I knew people in positions that were epa positions who did not have a master's. Now, what they wanted was for that person to be "working toward a master's degree", meaning taking a class here and there. I think it is easier to hire someone with a master's for an epa position than without. The application process seems like a long one there, or any university for that matter. PM me and tell which field you are going into, I still know some people at nc state and that may help. I don't know anyone at carolina, but my mom might as she has some connections there. Sorry, can't help on the duke front!

Anyhow, pm me and maybe I can help.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary