Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 03:49 PM

27 posts, read 31,014 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the triangle this summer and have young children - one with significant speech delays (speech apraxia).

We have the luxury of choosing where we will land (orange, Durham, wake counties). Is there a spot that you would choose knowing that your child would be heavily reliant on speech therapy in the coming years? Chapel Hill seems like it might be a good fit - my other two children would thrive in the schools there- but I worry there might be a better option for my child with speech delays.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:30 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
I'm a speech therapist. I think you will be fine anywhere in the Durham, Raleigh or Chapel Hill area. We have two universities in the area cranking out speech therapists (North Carolina Central University, and UNC) as well as nearby universities in Greenville, Greensboro and two up in the mountains. There are PLENTY of us here!

If you are leaning towards Chapel Hill, I think you will fare just fine.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I live in Orange County. We thought my daughter had apraxia at one time, but now nobody thinks that's the right diagnosis anymore. She does still get speech services (and other services too) through her school (Orange County Schools). We have been happy with the services we get in Orange County Schools (PT, OT, speech, and special ed). Keep in mind that Chapel Hill, while it is in Orange County, has its own school district separate from the county schools.

I do have two friends who have children with apraxia. One takes her child to private speech therapy at Duke/ Lenox Baker. The other takes her child to NC Eye and Ear . We have also been to both of these for speech evaluations in the past. We get most of our care through Duke (we are doing Lenox Baker for private OT to supplement school therapies). But NC Eye and Ear is nice because it is pretty easy to get an appointment there quickly. Diane Felton there specializes in apraxia and is one of the few practitioners in the area trained in PROMPT therapy for apraxia. We did see her when we thought my daughter had apraxia.

We generally have used medical care and private therapy that is based in Durham, which is convenient for us even though we don't live in Durham. We went to UNC once, but didn't have a great experience there, though we know other people who have had positive experiences there. I am not very aware of what resources they have on the Wake county side of things, but I know there are a lot of therapy groups there.

At one time, there was a group for Triangle Apraxia Network. They even did a walk for apraxia. I'm not sure if that group is still active, since now we know my daughter doesn't have it so I'm not involved anymore. From what I can find, their website and facebook do not seem active anymore.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:35 PM

27 posts, read 31,014 times
Thank you so much! Wanting to find the best school system for him. I know CH has top notch schools, but I'm hoping they will also be a good fit for a kid who may need a little more help. Don't want him to get lost in the system!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
That is a valid question regarding Chapel Hill schools. At one time, I would have moved to Chapel Hill for the schools if I could have afforded it (housing was significantly more expensive). It was more reasonable cost-wise for me to be in Orange County School district instead though. And I have come to appreciate Orange County Schools a lot, especially after dealing with the special education team. I get the feeling that Chapel Hill schools are great for high performing students, but I'm not sure how it would be for the rest of the folks, and for students with special needs. Granted, I have no actual personal experience and you should get input from people who have experience with that school system if you are considering it. I just hear a lot of people (anecdotally) complaining about not being able to get the services they think their kid needs, and I have not had a problem with that in Orange County Schools. I feel like they give us everything that they can, and more than I expect. I am moving this year, but I am going to be staying within the same school district, on purpose.

According to this ranking they put Chapel Hill at #1 for best school district in the state. Orange County is #7. Wake is #14. Durham is #63. (out of 100)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary