Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 PM

132 posts, read 445,755 times

Advertisements

Have been a passive member on this forum for a while and found a lot of useful info for people wanting to relocate to RTP, NC. Will be renting a place in Cary for 3 months and looking for a house to buy there.

Have a few questions:

1. How bad is the drought situation there ? When I turned on the water at my rental house in Cary, the person from the Cary utilities dept asked us to be very careful with the water usage. Apparently you can even get ticketed by the water police. We are ok with conservation. Hope it has not got to the point of reaching drinking water and internal household use scarcity.

2. We have an 18-month old and are looking for baby care/teaching options. Even if it involves parent participation in the teaching class we are ok with it.

3. How are the restaurants there ? - Have looked at a few posts on this. Any pointers to good Italian, Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants will be appreciated. We are planning on not cooking for the first few days

4. What are the choices for good skiing for Intermediate to Advanced runs ?

Thanks a lot for any help/advice !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda_jives View Post
1. How bad is the drought situation there ? When I turned on the water at my rental house in Cary, the person from the Cary utilities dept asked us to be very careful with the water usage. Apparently you can even get ticketed by the water police. We are ok with conservation. Hope it has not got to the point of reaching drinking water and internal household use scarcity.
The drought is the worst in several decades. As a non-Cary resident, I've heard Cary is faring better than some other parts of the Triangle, but you do want to be careful with water consumption. Many homes in Cary have their irrigation hooked up to gray water for irrigation. If your home isn't already hooked up, you may want to consider it - but from what I've heard, it isn't cheap to get it installed.
Quote:
2. We have an 18-month old and are looking for baby care/teaching options. Even if it involves parent participation in the teaching class we are ok with it.
We have our 2.5 year old son in Primrose of Hilburn and are very happy with it. There are Primrose schools in Cary as well. It isn't cheap, though - one of the more expensive childcare options available. There have been several threads on childcare options over the past year or two, so you may want to read through some of those if you haven't already.
Quote:
An airline ticket? Seriously, the skiing in the Southeast does not compare to what is available out West or in the Northeast. What is referred to as an "advanced" slope down here would be an average intermediate run elsewhere. I don't want to dissuade you from going skiing - any skiing is better than no skiing after all - but just want to set your expectations. Check out the recent thread on skiing - https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...skiing-nc.html.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Cary has fared better than other Triangle municipalities in the current drought because they have been diligent about conservation measures for far longer than the last few months. Other towns did too little too late and are suffering.

You will find many Chinese/Thai/Indian restaurants, but fewer good Italian ones.

Skiing is not a particularly popular recreational pursuit around these parts.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 25,826 times
Quote:
Have been a passive member on this forum for a while and found a lot of useful info for people wanting to relocate to RTP, NC. Will be renting a place in Cary for 3 months and looking for a house to buy there.

Have a few questions:

3. How are the restaurants there ? - Have looked at a few posts on this. Any pointers to good Italian, Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants will be appreciated. We are planning on not cooking for the first few days

Dear, relocating to rtp from the bay area

I just joined in the forum a couple of days ago after reading posts and threads for about a year. We to are moving out from the bay area (Santa Rosa) where abouts are you from? Anyways, congratulations on your upcoming move my husband, myself and our two small children are still waiting on our house to sell and for the job to happen but when it does we are ready to roll. Good luck! lain

Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:

3. Restaurants are good, not great. I've found it challenging to locate some good restaurants as locations in strip malls are easy to overlook. That said, Saffron is my favorite Indian restaurant in the Triangle, and is located in Morrisville (in a strip mall ) just NW north of Cary. Its the best Indian food I've had outside of London.

4. If you've not the time or money for a plane trip, the skiing at Snowshoe in WV is as good as you'll find in the area. Its about a six hour drive, but well worth it as the snow, size, and varied terrain but all other southeast and mid-Atlantic ski resorts to shame. If you want something even closer, I'd say Wintergreen in VA. Its about 4 hours from Raleigh and has the best snowmaking system in the SE. It also has some of the better "advanced" terrain in the area.

I lived in the Rockies for a few years, and moved back to NC over 5 years ago. I have since skied just one day in the southeast (Wintergreen), but have skied many days in the Rockies and Alps since moving back. Its just not worth it to me to drive that far and spend $55+ on a lift ticket for such marginal skiing. I'd rather just go ride my bike for free.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Ok then - will go and check out the Virginia resorts for skiing for now.

Good to know that cary is doing decently water wise.

All set to land in RTP on the 19th ! Can't wait to explore and get to know the area better !!

Any suggestions for new home constructions in/around cary ?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain View Post
Dear, relocating to rtp from the bay area

I just joined in the forum a couple of days ago after reading posts and threads for about a year. We to are moving out from the bay area (Santa Rosa) where abouts are you from? Anyways, congratulations on your upcoming move my husband, myself and our two small children are still waiting on our house to sell and for the job to happen but when it does we are ready to roll. Good luck! lain
Good to see lot of folks moving out of the crazy california. One of the main reasons for our move was to get a better quality of life. Hope you folks can wrap things up there and land a job in rtp.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
3. Restaurants are good, not great. I've found it challenging to locate some good restaurants as locations in strip malls are easy to overlook. That said, Saffron is my favorite Indian restaurant in the Triangle, and is located in Morrisville (in a strip mall ) just NW north of Cary. Its the best Indian food I've had outside of London.

4. If you've not the time or money for a plane trip, the skiing at Snowshoe in WV is as good as you'll find in the area. Its about a six hour drive, but well worth it as the snow, size, and varied terrain but all other southeast and mid-Atlantic ski resorts to shame. If you want something even closer, I'd say Wintergreen in VA. Its about 4 hours from Raleigh and has the best snowmaking system in the SE. It also has some of the better "advanced" terrain in the area.

I lived in the Rockies for a few years, and moved back to NC over 5 years ago. I have since skied just one day in the southeast (Wintergreen), but have skied many days in the Rockies and Alps since moving back. Its just not worth it to me to drive that far and spend $55+ on a lift ticket for such marginal skiing. I'd rather just go ride my bike for free.
Good restaurants will do. Definitely don't consider ourselves gourmets

Will checkout the VA resorts for now.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Quote:

Have a few questions:

Question 1)
I think it is definitely a problem...for now.... but I have a feeling by years end we may be close to normal, of course who really knows!

Question 2)
With the amount of families and child services in this town you should have no problems finding what you need.

Question 3)
So far most of the restaurants I have tried have been excellent. I did not care for a certain named Pub on Kildaire farm road. I thought their food was greasy. However we all have our own opinions on food. Carrabas seems to be a consistent favorite in this area (Italian). BBQ really depends on who you talk to. Outback steakhouse, TGI Fridays, Chili's is pretty much the same everywhere you go so worse case you can stick with what you know.
Question 4)
I was a lake Tahoe ski fiend before I moved here. I was ready to ski here this winter but after talking to some skiers from Utah, California, Oregon etc.. I hear that it is so so. According to skiing magazine Appalachian is the best resort in North Carolina but of course it depends on who you talk to.
FYI - I also sent you a PM

Last edited by deuterdu; 01-08-2008 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
how about great sushi restaurants? Any in Cary ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary