Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM

8 posts, read 27,356 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Raleigh - Cary area either this summer or summer of 2012 depending on my husband's job. We have a 10 year old boy and a 9 month old girl. We just visited and love the Cary area. We liked the Highcroft area but makes me nervous that the homes are so close together with very little lot size. However, we love the idea of having an elementary school in the neighborhood. We are looking for a welcoming community where my son and daughter would have the opportunity to have many friends. So obviously we need a neighborhood with a variety of ages of children. Please give me some ideas of neighborhoods that would work for us. My husband will work at RTP so would like to be close.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 14,093 times
We love Highcroft, and my son will start there soon. We are close for my husband's job too. The majority of people that live in this area are from somewhere else, so making friends is very easy. There are tons of new communities off of O'Kelly Chapel Rd just off of Hwy 55. Cary Park is another community that will give you the Highcroft feeling with the school just across the street. Good thing about Cary Park is that Mills Park is an Elementary and Middle School, which will probably matter to you. Panther Creek HS is very close too.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Thank you. That's good to know. It's just so hard trying to pick the right place being so far away.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapistmom View Post
Thank you. That's good to know. It's just so hard trying to pick the right place being so far away.
Rent somewhere for awhile until you learn the area?

Just an idea. Most of the people who move down here to Cary and are later unhappy jumped into houses and neighborhoods they didn't know anything about.

I'm a native of the area, and you'd have to pay me to live in Highcroft.

That said, I love Cary... I live in Cary. I just don't like Western Cary... tiny lots and tons of people all crammed into houses staring into each other's windows.

Overpriced, too.

Well, except for that part of Highcroft where 540 is about to run through people's back yards. You can get some sweet deals over there.

Seriously... move here and learn the area. Houses don't sell as easily as they did 5 years ago. I'd hate for you to get here, hate your house, and have your kids hate their neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
What's your budget? Big difference in price points between Highcroft and some other west Cary areas.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

We would like to keep our price point below $450,000. The difficulty with renting for awhile is that we would need to rent in the area that we would eventually stay so that our son does not have to switch schools again. What do people think of the North Raleigh area? We found some nice neighborhoods there as well with bigger lots.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM

119 posts, read 261,520 times
try buckingham. Its on the border between cary and apex. I dont know how many kids are still left in the neighborhood but when I lived there, there were TONS of kids.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
You can defiinitely get a bigger plot in Cary for that price point, if that is very important to you....it was to us and we spent less than that.

Buckingham looks nice, never heard of it before, good location, one house I see for sale looks nice.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Twingles: Can I ask what neighborhood you are in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary